Home Discussions General Discussions
The 4.6.0 PTB is now available on Steam. For full details, click here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/231267

Thought's on LGBT characters

Comments

• OrionbashOrionbash Member Posts: 693

Still not my problem.

And I like how you assume that because I'm part of said community I'm not allowed an opinion other than what the mainstream thinks. That's awfully oppressive of you. 😂

• Hag.is.DtierHag.is.Dtier Member Posts: 1,397

I'll joke about what I want, maybe you need to get a sense of humour.

• Johnny_XManJohnny_XMan Member Posts: 3,295
    edited June 2020

@Orionbash

I never said you didn't have or weren't allowed an opinion.

Are you running out of things to accuse me of now? First you call me "Naive", next "Sheltered", Now you're saying I assume that because you claim yourself to be a part of a community you're not allowed an opinion.

Read. I said you are calling me sheltered from the real world, as if somehow I don't understand how corpotations work, because you think every company who supports the LGBTQI community isn't doing it genuinely or in a way that it appeases you.

@Dehitay

So as I suspected. You make a statement about the "whinny" people setting a standard for why BHVR is doing this, but you don't provide any examples to make you think that. Got it.

No I do not have proof that the Silent Hill nurse skin is in the game as a cash grab, but guess what? I never made those statements. I never even brought up Silent Hill. YOU did.

Nice try changing the narrative now though.

• DeadArsenalDeadArsenal Member Posts: 202

They're not doing it genuinely. A business does not have a genuine feeling. A corporation does not care about anything because it doesn't have a mind. The people who run the corporation only answer to the following: Investors and Customers. Corporate employees get strong armed into making certain statements to appease their customers every day. This is no different, and I assure you that it is all 100% artificial all the time.

• Hag.is.DtierHag.is.Dtier Member Posts: 1,397

My god this community, reference a movie scene and people still argue over some rubbish lore that's gonna be put into the Archives. Can't have a laugh these day's...

@DeadArsenal

As pointed out before, I am not expecting BHVR to become some kind of advocate for the gay community. The announcement was about fleshing out characters and their backstories, NOT about donating to some LGBTQI charity event.

That is all I am saying.

It's all good. I'll be honest I haven't read this whole exchange between you two so I definitely won't challenge your word. I've just gotten cynical about this whole inclusivity business. It's frustratingly off-target and that might be rubbing off on me.

@DeadArsenal

And that is fair and understandable. I just think its really unfair that they are doing something positive, and the first thing that people can come up with is questioning their motives. I'm kind of done tbh, cuz some people on here love repeating themselves. lol

• The_Bootie_GorgonThe_Bootie_Gorgon Member Posts: 2,340

are you dismissing Orionbash because they are part of a group but they don't share the popular group mentality???

• HelloThereHelloThere Member Posts: 54
    edited June 2020

This also could go for people of color. "You killed me, you have to be a racist! I'm gonna report you!" Should they just remove the few black characters?

No.

Post edited by HelloThere on
  • BloodMoneyMercBloodMoneyMerc Member Posts: 432

It's one of those things that I welcome gladly as long as it doesn't feel forced. Characters in a game like this should represent various different backgrounds. You want to create diversity, especially among the survivors, so that everyone can find their own survivor that they feel represents or speaks to them. As for killer, I don't see how a sexuality preference is relevant for most of them currently, but it doesn't mean you can't add killers with an LGBTQ background. (For example, maybe their past reveals harsh discrimination against them that made them snap into a killer mindset or something like that). But that being said, you want to do it in a tasteful manner. It shouldn't be a common reoccurring theme in almost every new character. Sexuality in general shouldn't have to be explained for every character new & old. It should only appear when it sees fit to maybe develop a unique storyline for a character.

• Jb94Jb94 Member Posts: 148

OK. So. Words mean things. I love that your word of the day calander has been useful in expanding your vocabulary, but you might want to start reading the definition of some the words you use:

Capitulation: capitulation is basically giving in to the demands of an opponent. I've not seen anyone strongly push for this, and I've never felt like BHVR were staunch opponents of the lgbt+ community. An ACTUAL example of capitulation would be BHVR going back on the tweet to appease people offended by the inclusion of LGBT people in the game- the thing you seem to be pushing for in opposition to their current stance.

Bigot: a bigot is someone who holds intolerant views usually based on ignorance. I don't think people responding positively to this announcement is bigoted- like who is this bigoted against? Homophobes because they have to be reminded that gay people exist? I have seen a lot of very calm and good faith responses to the kinds of claims your making across the forum over the last couple of days--very little active dismissal, mostly attempts to educate with many people drawing on personal experience. That you feel so hostile on this topic that you've resorted to throwing out buzz words looks like bigotry on your part to me.

Fasism:... Do I need to bother with this one? There's hyperbole, but then there's genuinely inappropriate comparisons. Fascism is a form of right wing government which tends to specifically target marginalised people in order to create an exclusionary group identity- typically backed up with violence. A very famous fascist government (you know the one) was known for targeting lgbt people specifically and they're a common target for fascist rhetoric. I'm sorry, but giving Nea an ex girlfriend and a rainbow beanie is not a form of violence or oppression. If you don't like it, just don't engage with it- you aren't in any danger of being forced to engage with this stuff and the fact that you feel you are is utterly pathetic. I don't want to have to point the mirror back at you like I did with capitulation and bigot... But those feet of yours sure look like they would slip comfortably into some fashy boots.

• HelloThereHelloThere Member Posts: 54
    edited June 2020

Wow! Where do i even begin. First you just proven the others argument right about not feeling welcomed. Second were just asking for representation. Also do you know in how many countries being gay is still illegal?

Why can't we just have a little representation I mean straight relationship are seen as normal in media and rl but lgbtq is seen as unnatural and not normal.

Most are probably not mad if we don't get a gay character. Ist fine, just don't tease us. I actually don't need a character it's enough if we get pride skins and belt/hook charms. A character would be nice tho.

Why do you even care so much if what gender kisses what gender. It doesn't affect you or hurt you.

You write your comment like we're going to stand behind the team with torches and Pitchforks, to make them do this. I don't even think anyone asked them to do this. If yes show me evidence of it.

• The_Bootie_GorgonThe_Bootie_Gorgon Member Posts: 2,340

Can BHVR include a mtf transitioned person who like CIS females as a character?

• TokyoTearsTokyoTears Member Posts: 9

TBH I always thought Jane was Lesbian, and that Nea was Bi.

Do you know that in some countries it's practically a death sentence if anyone finds out? I'm quite aware of the adversity facing homosexuals throughout the world. That's hardly what's being addressed here. They're facing true injustice and you? Well, you're feeling unincluded. Forgive me if I don't see the relation here. You ever hear the phrase "first world problems" before?

The demand to be constantly recognized and catered to cheapens the struggle of real people facing real cruelty all over the world. People are here heckling BHVR over "inclusion" not to save a person's life or to free them from oppression. I think you need to get your priorities straight here, because they are shockingly out of order.

Furthermore, don't pretend like this is anything other than a threat to the developers. Saying "no" subjects them to the full fury of social justice warriors that don't even play this game and have never heard of it. This is a circus and you know it.

• OrionOrion Member Posts: 17,878

Show me one person who heckled or threatened BHVR over not including LGBT. Because all I see are people heckling and threatening them for daring to include LGBT.

Remind me again who prompted this? Was it someone who said BHVR better not be inclusive or else? Not that I can recall. Funny thing, there's streamers that are being subjected to coordinated social justice crusades as we speak. Out of sight out of mind right? Awfully convenient though.

Show me the threats, then. What I saw was that Mathieu had a conversation with one individual who may or may not be LGBT, and then made this decision. No mention of threats or heckling. That one individual is also not representative of the LGBT community.

The inevitable reactionary response is the threat. It's happened to other games already. Cyberpunk 2077 faced the same exact thing. All of a sudden somebody decided it was time to be morally outraged, retweeted it thousands of times, and both the social justice community and the press came raining down on the developers like vultures. This backlash is everpresent and represents nothing short of an existential threat to any business that encounters it. This is how "inclusivity" is bought nowadays apparently, at twitter outrage point. Pressure is exerted on a business until it is forced to make a statement and if that statement doesn't make everybody feel nice and proud of themselves there will be hell to pay.

• Primalux135Primalux135 Member Posts: 1,045

Lets see guys you know that its a multiuniverse so there is a lesbian nurse, gay Dwight etc etc... There is no sense for adding sexual orientation.

Just think it as you like if you think nea is lesbian is okay its a multiverse,there will be all orientation neas.

You're not going to change many minds with an attitude of smug indifference. Blackmailing companies into stepping in line with an ideology wins even fewer hearts and minds. Feigning innocence only works for so long before people get the picture. Remember that.

So you think outrage culture is a "conspiracy theory?" LOL, alright chief. I'm going to bed. Have fun.

• MooksMooks Member Posts: 3,391

This argument can be said about every single lore/backstory bit though. Either have it all or none. Leaving everything LGBT+ explicitly out but having everything they already had was not the way.