Home Discussions General Discussions
The 4.6.0 PTB is now available on Steam. For full details, click here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/231267

Thought's on LGBT characters

Comments

• OrionOrion Member Posts: 17,878
    edited June 2020

No, I saw outrage culture is alive and well the instant BHVR said they weren't just going to confirm characters in their game were heterosexual or had had heterosexual relationships. I think the way you're speaking of LGBT as if it's an "ideology" with the ability to exert influence across the globe is a conspiracy theory. It's not the first time I've heard someone speak of a group that has one thing in common in such a way. It's usually about liberals or ethnic or religious groups, though.

• DeadArsenalDeadArsenal Member Posts: 202

Ah, here we are, the part where you conflate social justice warriors with every Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transexual in the world as if I am attacking them all collectively. Nice bait, but you're not trying hard enough. No, the ideology is social crusaders fighting petty causes for "inclusivity" under the delusion that they're fighting injustice. Your eagerness to misrepresent my argument is nauseating in the extreme.

Oh no, what's the matter? Your veiled implications that I'm a bigot didn't work out the way you wanted them to? Feeling speechless? Typical.

• DehitayDehitay Member Posts: 1,602

Wow, I'm almost impressed at how you can so blatantly miss the point where I clearly spelled it out for you and then end with a statement of such hypocrisy. I clearly explained that I never said that whiney people were setting a standard, but that if whiney people set a standard then that did indeed make things less important. And I clearly explained that in the very post that you quoted but are so stuck hearing only what you want to hear that you can't even read it properly.

That Silent Hill statement was so obviously a parallel to serve as an example of why it's ridiculous to demand evidence of something that hasn't happened and yet you somehow missed it. At this point, I can't determine if you just lack the intellect to see such an obvious parallel or if you're so desperate to find something you can actually counter that you'll take an obvious parallel of what you did and pretend it's an actual thing I wanted even though I made it so clearly obvious that I consider such a line of thinking ridiculous.

And that last statement is just one of the most blatant forms of hypocrisy you could have spit out considering how both your last 2 responses to me are desperate attempts to change a narrative that I've made completely clear.

• Angelicus23Angelicus23 Member Posts: 2,099

honestly this is the right way to support lgbt+.

Please make wraith gay on his tome please please please

• DrDeepwoundDrDeepwound Member Posts: 1,307

Personally, I dont care or have an opinion on it. I dont even read the lore in this game, or any game tbh. Feng could be lesbian already for all I know, I have no idea about any of the lore and I have 1600 hours in the game LOL

To be clear, nobody's "making" anyone anything. The characters will be confirmed straight or LGBT.

• ElcopolloElcopollo Member Posts: 322

The idea of having a perk that allows you to say "Wait, no... You can't, you can't, there's rules...I.. I.. I'm gay! I'm gay!" while in a Dying State, so that killer's ability to either pick or mori you gets disabled for 20/30/40 seconds is actually very neat lmao.

• USELESSUSELESS Member Posts: 1,151

To be honest, this is a great idea. This may open new killers stories for the reason they kill.

• SmarulKusiaSmarulKusia Member Posts: 317

I don’t care for it.

that being said - the last thing I want is new characters that have their whole design based around being LGBT.

I always found that to be a gross way of representing the community and using them more as tokens than actually creating an Character that happens to be gay. Being LGBT should be normalised and not used as a personality trait and I wouldn’t mind if through the tome, we find out that so and so are LGBT as long as it’s done correctly

• OtakuBurritoOtakuBurrito Member Posts: 512

I mean from a lore stand point, if you're trapped around the same people for eons on end I'm pretty sure the concept of being straight flies out the window for most people.

Even being killed, chased, and scarified become monotonous. I'm sure a lot of survivors and killers are just said [BAD WORD] it and did the deed, even demo to some degree.

• ProfoundEndingProfoundEnding Member Posts: 1,874

They're fictional characters. I think it's highly possible the developers could easily change their minds on a characters sexual preference before it's officially confirmed.

Indeed, and it speaks to the normality of LGBT people that it would make no difference whatsoever.

• MogletmoxMogletmox Member Posts: 24

literaly makes 0 difference to gameplay what sexuality the charecters are ,so i couldnt care less

and at the end of the day you can decide what sexuality they are if u wanted to regardless of what the devs say ..their just pixels not real ppl

only thing thing im sick of seeing is all these threads and arguements / in ifghting it causes .. as if the gameplay is going to change becuase of lore of char background

• SpookyStabbySpookyStabby Member Posts: 621
  • iBananaSamichesiBananaSamiches Member Posts: 57

Here’s the thing. More games have representation now but not all. The fact you’re gay and don’t think this is an issue is kind of sad.

It’s cool you enjoy playing games and don’t think about sexuality, I’m sure many people don’t. However, when a game let’s you choose whether you’re straight or gay (or anything in between), it’s actually nice, whether you believe it to be pandering or not. The fact is the World has come a long way, and the fact videogames, which is something many of us enjoy to escape, are hearing us and seeing us isn’t a bad thing.

there is still so much wrong the world but even little things like this show progress and how people CAN change. BHVR are displaying this in what they’ve said.

The more representation means in time, less phobia and more understanding... even if it’s minuscule due to representation in a game, it’s still progress.

• Hag.is.DtierHag.is.Dtier Member Posts: 1,397

Except the killer doesn't give a [BAD WORD] if your gay or not, equality kills!

edited June 2020

"Less phobia and more understanding" is wishful thinking. You are under the mistaken impression that people hold prejudice because they are ignorant. Quite the opposite: Prejudice is learned behavior, and people are learning it watching twitter raid streamer chats and insist that anyone who dissents from their talking points is a filthy evil bigot that must be punished.

Nothing about this fixes anything in the world or progresses anything other than your own ego and sense of gratification. Every time this happens the people doing it go on at length about how righteous and better than everyone else they think they are for it. This is privilege, pure and simple. You're privileged enough to live in a culture that not only tolerates LGBT but punishes people who don't. You're privileged enough to have enough time to complain on the internet because you feel like a videogame is leaving you out. You're privileged enough to stand behind the iron bulwark of social justice so everyone is afraid to call you out.

• OrionbashOrionbash Member Posts: 693

I'm not sorry I don't follow the mainstream opinion. Forcing diversity into everything creates two dimensional characters and, at the end of the day, is just corporate pandering.

• iBananaSamichesiBananaSamiches Member Posts: 57

There’s a mix of people - those who are ignorant and those like you said have been taught. This is why I said minuscule - I’m not naive to believe everyone who plays will be like “oh, this doesn’t change the character at all... go figure”, but you can’t assume it won’t make any difference.

I do know people who’ve had those misconceptions, who were taught to be prejudice... who aren’t now. There are those who realise it’s wrong to hate on someone because of who they love/any other reason.

some people are just bad, but not all. Some people can learn and grow. It’s just difficult remembering that, especially with the current climate.

The climate will get worse as long as the LGBT community and social justice movement keep trying to inject their idealisms into hobbies and interests that have no real place for it. What business do they have hounding a videogame developer for inclusivity exactly? What is inclusivity? Is a single line in a character's backstory enough, or do we need a character running around in a trans acceptance rainbow shirt and neon blue hair? Trick question: It's never enough because the whole process is pure egotism. It might not be that way for you but I guarantee you it's that way for a significant amount of the people supporting you.

Yes, please demean my talking points by reducing me to a caricature. That'll help change minds and promote tolerance.

• MooksMooks Member Posts: 3,391

That was just a joke because your statement was also sarcastic.

at least that’s what I thought..? You were not really serious?

Your mind is made up. You genuinely believe there's some massive conspiracy to blackmail companies into including certain themes in everything. What's there to debate?

There is an element of sarcasm, with the trans acceptance rainbow shirt and neon hair bit, but that's more of an intentional extreme absurdity to make a point. Honestly I don't find this all that funny.

Yeah, and your mind was made up too. This has happened before. It will happen again. It is a fact. I already cited Cyberpunk 2077 as a direct example and you still deny it as a "conspiracy theory" right before you regurgitate standard rhetoric for your cause. Your method of argument is a joke.

• steezo_desteezo_de Member Posts: 652

I like the idea, but I think people would take it way too seriously.

• USELESSUSELESS Member Posts: 1,151

maybe, but it still a +18 game so i think it could be explained

• HelloThereHelloThere Member Posts: 54

I didn't mean that inclusion is more important than saving lives and ending oppression.I do know (actually meant death sentence) and it breaks my heart. But do you know why we have a Pride Paredes even though in some countries the biggest problems are already gone. To be loud and show we are just people who want to live a normal life and spread awareness. Inclusion and representation can normalize LGBT and maybe can change people's perspective on that matter. Maybe it can change those countries two. The parallel is that if we making LGBT normal than LGBT persons don't have as many proplems to face.

Also why is it such a bad thing if there was an gay character in dbd? It doesn't hurt you or does it?

I didn't even know that they were planning to release a gay character until I read in the forum about this. I don't care if they didn't do something like that. I think it's nice.

Please don't assume that i never faced "real" problems. In this case i wouldn't fit your description of "real" problems. Juat the fear of discrimination and non exception.

Please show me evidence that the developers are at risk of a [BAD WORD] storm. Wait scratch that they already have half of a [BAD WORD] Strom from doing it from people that can't mind their own business.

Yea this is a circus bc people scream at them why they have to make a gay character without a real reason. This is tracer all over again.