Killer Ready - Chainmaille Tapestry - by countessjets
This was actually the first chainmaille tapestry I ever made and it was a gift for my husband - DBD is the first game we ever played together. Making a chainmaille tapestry (or inlay as it's often called) takes a mix of computer work for the patterning and recoloring and hands on work for the weaving.
It has 15,862 anodized aluminum rings (not counting the ones for hanging) that I wove together using the European 4-in-1 weave. It's all done by hand with a couple pairs of pliers and took me about 60 hours for the weaving. The finished size without the hanger is about 15" x 19". With the hanger, the total weight is only about 1 pound because the aluminum rings are so lightweight. As it gets bigger it gets hard to hold when weaving one row at a time so my method is to weave strips of three rows and then connect them. It can still get a bit unwieldy but I found it to be a little faster that way.
Making the pattern took about 10 hours or so. I started by reducing the image size to the number of pixels I would need for one pixel to equal one ring and have it come out to the total finished size I wanted - every 7 rings is approximately an inch. You lose image clarity when you reduce the pixels though, and images use many many shades of colors, so then I recolored pixel by pixel to recreate the image with just the 3 colors of rings. I put the image into a spreadsheet then for easy tracking as I work . One pixel = one cell on the spreadsheet.
I hung it using teh larger bright aluminum rings, cut a dowel, ran it through the rings and affixed the end caps.