Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

If you're smart, you'll stop running Self-care

Comments

• SewerSwansSewerSwans Member Posts: 147

If you use Self Care this sensibly, you're barely ever using it, making it again a bad perk. You could take something like DS that gives you consistent, massive value anytime the killer brings you closer to death, Iron Will which is valuable anytime you're wounded and in danger, Unbreakable, BT, etc.

• BossBoss Member, Trusted Posts: 13,578

Thanks, but i'll prefer to stay dumb. 😘

• NebulaNebula Member Posts: 471

Sure, but sometimes it's better to be healed because that 16-32 seconds wasted by healing could be used to prolong your next chase and give your teammates freedom to do them.

• MarcusMarcus Member Posts: 2,047

I never used Self Care. I didn't even level Claudette up to 40 to unlock it yet.

• PurgatorianPurgatorian Member Posts: 1,133

I will run self care every now and then even though I am in red ranks. I get tired of finding survivors to heal me but they stay on the gen, I think fine we will do the gen then you heal me... then they run off. This happens far too often in solo queues.

You are correct that I don't deserve to be in red ranks though, I am purple ranks at best, but as long as you're doing something that benefits the team then it's harder not to get pips. I can't wait for the new matchmaking to see if that sorts the problem out.

• Star99erStar99er Member Posts: 1,213

I hate running Self Care but at times it's necessary (mainly when solo queuing). It doesn't matter if me and everyone else is rank 1, because at any rank you can't rely on randoms to heal you because a lot of times they won't. If I don't have a medkit I'll usually run self care because taking 2 hits to get downed can makes a huge difference when looping the killer and can be worth the 30 seconds it takes to heal yourself.

• KoukdwKoukdw Member Posts: 279
    edited June 2020

Yesterday i got a survivor in my team using both self care and adrenaline. With the last gen at 50% he still choosed to self care at the other side of the map.

I swear removing self care would be the biggest buff to solo survivor ever. It would remove all those bad survivor from the red ranks.

• Squirrel_ThiccSquirrel_Thicc Member Posts: 2,678

I'll stop running self care when I get inner strength.

• PureHostilityPureHostility Member Posts: 692
    edited June 2020

I dont really see many people refusing to heal at reds. Often when I do run injured next to another survivor they will gladly heal me, unless it is completely pointless, such as legion who overuses FF and just runs off after hitting you, even if you are already injured.

I can count the amount of people who refused to out right heal me in the last month on my fingers and the number probably wont be higher than two guys.

As I said before, self care is fine, the down time is miniscule compared to other forums of healing, IS isnt as time efficient either, it is however two birds with one stone. Useful at green ranks, but reds arent plagued by noed.

Personally I like autodidact + solidarity combo, as it drastically cuts time "wasted" on healing, but it also removes the self sufficiency that SC provides and adds the unknown down time of traveling.

• AlbinoVieraAlbinoViera Member Posts: 169

I would like to make an argument for why I think everyone should run/use self-care. For me personally, because everyone ran self-care I was able to get to rank 1 very easily.

It's 32 seconds of being injured while you heal, sure, but it means others can focus on being chased or recovering, it's really helpful to me when people run it. Hell, with Sloppy and/or Thana the time is longer, meaning they get even more time on the hook, being chased or they can be self-caring as well which means a higher chance of a player being spotted and going down so the other person can heal to full. I've won matches, because of a Claudette that's self-caring in a corner, not gonna lie. I think self-care is a must-have for survivors.

-Sincerely, A Killer Main.

• OmputinOmputin Member Posts: 44

Your math is so painfully incorrect it's not even funny. You can also check out that video above that someone else linked If you don't believe me.

• dragobvdragobv Member Posts: 301

how to die as survivor try to open the door while having selcare get hit at 99% of the gate survivor starts selfcaring instead of opening the gate get hit again and this is why i run inner strength

• thrawn3054thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,032

Self Care heals at 50% speed. Botany makes it 33% faster. Which makes you heal at 83% speed. Or 17% slower. 17% added to the normal 16 seconds is 18.72 seconds.

• Seiko300Seiko300 Member Posts: 1,860

"barely ever using it" which implies you still are using it though.

Even if you only used self-care once per match, that still brings it in line with the effect of other perks that only activate once. Two of the 4 examples you provided yourself are perks that can only be used once, DS deactivates after it's used and so does Unbreakable.

The difference is that Self-Care provides the possibility to be used more than once, even if you do only use it once, it can change the tide between whether you survive or whether you don't. Much in the same way that Unbreakable allows you to pick yourself up from the dying state once, or DS prevents you from being hooked completely once.

If anything, you're "barely using" the perks that you yourself mentioned namely Unbreakable and DS, you could go through a whole match without ever being slugged or tunneled while the DS timer is active. Whereas every match it's very likely that you'll at some point be injured and looking for a heal, making way for the extreme versatility that I already described in my previous post, just to rename a few: Healing yourself mid-chase, healing yourself when no one else can heal you (everyone else is dead), finishing off a heal from a teammate the killer interrupted, healing yourself more efficiently with a medkit, etc. just to name a few.

• IhatelifeIhatelife Member Posts: 5,069

Why not running self care with botany knowledge? Fast healing, counters slow down perks, faster healing others 😏

• Cheeki_Beaky_BirdCheeki_Beaky_Bird Member Posts: 148

So, hypothetical.

Survivor 1 is injured, and has self care.

Survivor 2 is not injured, does not have Prove thyself, and has nothing to speed up healing another survivor.

Survivor 1 and 2 arrive at a generator at the same time. They want to heal survivor 1 and complete the generator.

The fastest way to go about doing this is for survivor 1 to self care, and survivor 2 to repair the generator.

Healing 1 survivor takes 32 seconds of survivor time. This can be 16 seconds of 1 survivor, or 32 seconds from 2 survivors.

Repairing 1 generator takes 80 seconds of survivor time if only 1 survivor is doing it, but 92 seconds of survivor time if 2 survivors are repairing it.

Self care also makes your medkits MUCH stronger, getting 20% more use out of them can mean a lot when they're the particularly good ones. Self care can also be combo'd with botany knowledge for even longer lasting medkits, faster heals, and the ability to heal up other survivors quicker even when your medkit finally runs out.

Self care is also very strong with Resilience, you can 99 a heal and then hold it until you feel threatened, raking in that 9% bonus. Resilience ALSO guarantees that your self-healing goes faster with its 9% action speed bonus, as you're always injured when you're healing yourself ;)

And, critically, self care lets you heal when you can't safely meet up with another survivor, or the killer interrupted you getting healed. It gives you a tremendous amount of flexibility, combos amazingly with some perks, and lets you do more to ensure you can survive a trial.

It's also worth nothing that inner strength isn't as fast as some folks think. Just cleansing a totem takes 15 seconds, you need 8 seconds in locker and, assuming you don't want to be loud about it, another 4 doing quite locker entrances and exits, for 27 overall. That seems good to self care's 32, but it doesn't benefit from self care's synergies, and, importantly, inner strength has five uses for the entire trial, across all survivors, and needs you to actually go find a totem and locker. Self care is available any time, any where, as many times as you need it.

• SewerSwansSewerSwans Member Posts: 147

DS and Unbreakable are ridiculously powerful effects that enable extremely bold plays by their presence as a safety net even if they aren't used. They directly undo time spent by the killer without wasting any of your time. Offensive use of DS doesn't rely on tunneling. Their activation conditions are less "everyone is dead" or "heal interrupted" and more "killer slugs in the mandatory slugging meta" or "killer dares to fulfill their objective by hooking". They are on another planet to Self Care, in my opinion.

In a game where the highest level survivors rarely bother healing at all, and healing itself is situational, a situational healing perk with big drawbacks cannot compete with heavyweights like DS.

Also, Self Care takes 32 seconds. If you get that off in chase, I tip my hat to you.

• Seiko300Seiko300 Member Posts: 1,860

In my opinion they function much the same way, the only reason Self-Care takes as much time as it does is because it is that versatile and can be used in so many different situations both defensively or aggressively in the middle of a chase. Although I would never make the claim SC is better than DS, all I'm saying is the perk has it's uses and threads like these which basically say "only idiots run Self Care" are blatantly false.

"Offensive use of DS doesn't rely on tunneling" -Swans

I want to briefly mention this is exactly why DS is a problem perk, and the fact that you mention this so openly proves that point, although this isn't the thread to talk about that, it was just a side thing I figured I'd mention since it's talked about so frequently.

Also, (though it should have been apparent) I guess I neglected to provide the hypothetical that Self-Care can be used in a chase after most of your heal has already been completed. So I guess you'll have to tip your hat to me because in that sense I've technically pulled it off.

• OniKobayashiOniKobayashi Member Posts: 274

I can't rely on randoms to heal me. Or do anything else.

• Jigsaw_pprentice1993Jigsaw_pprentice1993 Member Posts: 222

The few times i run ill equip botany and a medkit with it self care boosts medkit heals that way its reliable but its not a bad perk it can be very usefull late gsme ive gotten doors open because ive healed first

• OmputinOmputin Member Posts: 44

Self care heals you at 0.5 of the normal speed or at 50% speed. Botany makes it 33% faster resulting in 0.665 or about 67% healing speed. Healing with 0.665 (~67%) healing speed takes 24 seconds.

• _orpheus__orpheus_ Member Posts: 33

I use inner strength personally bc it forces you to do the secondary objective and also gives you a quick heal but I don’t mind people who use self care

think about it like this: it takes 32 seconds to heal yourself with self care at base, but if you have someone else heal you it takes 16 seconds but you’re wasting 2 survivors time so you’re still wasting a net of 32 seconds

either way you waste 32 seconds so who cares. Just run inner strength it’s superior in every way lol

• Fog_KingFog_King Member Posts: 688

I'm at a high rank and I use self-care on all my survivors. And I think I shouldn't be at a high rank, for sure, but that is where the game puts me based on the amount of time and matches I play. I'm not very good at looping, so if I'm hurt, usually the killer downs me quite fast. If I'm healthy, I can last longer and makes me do less mistakes, because I won't be panicked that a single attack will put me down.

Also, sometimes there are no survivors around to heal me and if I have to spend time looking for them, I might as well start healing myself. Of course not every situtation is good to use selfcare. For example, we need 1 gen left to finish, I will just do the gen instead of healing, but at 5 gens I will heal myself because if not, I will probably not get to see when there's only 1 gen left to do.

• thrawn3054thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,032

.5 plus .33 is .83. Or 83%. DbD doesn't do there math the way you would expect.

• kate_best_girlkate_best_girl Member Posts: 2,140
    edited July 2020

Id like to counter with Inner strength even on max ranks take less time to do a complete full heal than SC does. Self Care takes 32 seconds 40 if sloppy. Max Rank IS takes 22 and 20 on lowest I believe.

• PureHostilityPureHostility Member Posts: 692

Add in a need for locker, which may take you additional few seconds to get in also IS doesnt start as soon as you initiate the locker animation anymore, so another 2 or 3 seconds, then exit animations if you do it slowly.

SC can be done anywhere you want.

• kate_best_girlkate_best_girl Member Posts: 2,140

Yeah but TYPICALLY it isn't smart to actually do it out in the open. Plus Inner Strength negates Nurses, Thana, sloppy, and deathbound

• tippy2k2tippy2k2 Member Posts: 2,982

To use IS, you need to find and clear a totem (so that takes time for both of those actions). Then you need to find a locker and get in, which also takes time. Then you need to crawl into said locker and sit and chill, also taking time.

There is also the risk of the killer using Iron Maiden so now the killer knows where you are. There's also the risk that you can't find a totem (either because you've been hit before so you needed it multiple times or you just have a hella efficient team or the RNG Gods have decided they hate you today and totems are all in the sneaky hiding spots) so now you have a healing perk that can't heal you.

There's certainly nothing wrong with people using IS over SC if that's your preference but people pretending like SC is some super bad perk with nothing but problems and risk love to absolutely ignore all the potential problems with all the other healing perks.

This discussion has been closed.