Home Discussions General Discussions
The September 2020 Developer Update is now available.
https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/194208

Why did Ruin get nerfed for being "overused"?

CrowFoxyCrowFoxy Member Posts: 1,207

If I'm not mistaken, a little while ago some guy did a test of like 100 matches and ended up concluding that perks like Adrenaline and DS, were used in almost every single match. Wasn't it in like the 70s or 80s as far as usage at high ranks?

I'm not even saying DS should be nerfed. But it does show that sometimes these perks aren't looked at in the same light and I wonder why.

Comments

• SleepyWilloSleepyWillo Member Posts: 789

One persons experiences does not account for full representation across all games.

The most used survivor perk was Self Care which I think every killer is happy to see survivors bring!

As for Ruin - it was found to only effect new players significantly and barely noticed by veteran players. It was also a passive perk that would work consistently without having to do anything.

• CronaWinsCronaWins Member Posts: 649

In other words, it was changed to cater to new players who can't hit skill checks instead of balancing the game at the standard level of play.

• SoySensualSoySensual Member Posts: 21

thanks, you guys are ruining the game with your nerffs and preferences with the toxic and weeping community but thanks

• notstarboardnotstarboard Member Posts: 1,029
    edited July 9

Geez, people are still complaining about the Ruin nerf? It's been several months and the change was a good one. Get over it.

Ruin is still a solid perk and I think they did a great job with the rework. They also buffed Pop and nerfed coop repairs and toolboxes around the time they nerfed Ruin, so don't forget that.

Pop is more fair than old Ruin because it requires the killer to have half a brain to get good use out of it, but I actually liked playing against old Ruin more than I like playing against Pop. On most maps you could just find the totem and then your mid and late game was pretty easy. Meanwhile Pop is useless in the early game, but it is often overwhelming in the late game if survivors aren't good enough with their gen spacing (doesn't need to be a three gen; an in-between layout is enough). Also, unlike Ruin there's not much survivors can really do about it unless they're already ahead at that point. In a SWF it's easy on most maps to make sure you're spacing your gens far apart in the late game, but good luck doing that on a map like The Game or as a solo queue survivor.

Post edited by notstarboard on
  • th3th3 Member Posts: 403

True they definitely could have done it all at once but the results on the PTB are from a small portion of the community and people always have issues finding serious games on the ptb that aren't without one dc or people throwing just because. In my opinion the results they got from pushing the ruin change onto live servers which effect everyone not just on steam.

It definitely seems like it was stupid but I certainly couldn't expect the changes made following the ruin change if they didn't have accurate data on how fast gen speeds were on every level and how toolboxes were without the passive slowdown ruin did.