Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

The Scummiest Perk In The Game

Comments

• FlatskullFlatskull Member Posts: 332

Lol. What.

Devour Hope is the only hex we have that actually is in somewhat balanced. You have to actually play the game to get anything out of it and it promotes you leaving the hook, even boosting you with a haste to do so and it's a hex totem so it can be permanently disabled at any time and most of the time will be disabled. It hasa notable impact on survivors when its charged and it's deadly-as it should be...as ALL hexes should be since they are meant to be OP by definition but capable of being countered by being cleansed-

What other hexes are killers going to use....huntress lullabye....Retribution....Thrill of the Hunt /s I mean. Ruin is at best B tier, Noed is an very last moment clutch hex and those are really the only two decent usable hexes in the whole game besides DH.

I mean...using the logic that returning to a hook for a down-which you should be doing anyway...why would a killer NOT return to a hook when they think someone is going for-or just have saved- you must REALLY hate Make Your Choice, since that is literally it's entire gimmick. In fact it's worst than DH because it isn't a hex so it can't be countered...it requires no tokens for the exposed effect and most importantly the exposed effect is timed...meaning the best way to capitalize on it is to literally skirt the radius then return to the hook to capitalize on it.

So if anything. Make Your Choice would be the scummiest perk if hook orbiting is considering scummy. I mean, I don't consider either of these scummy.

I would consider the scummy killer perks to be: Insidous, Noed and maybe rancor. Just because two of them can snatch away a survivors escape points and Insidous since it heavily incentivizes camping primarily.

• D_OrienD_Orien Member Posts: 115

The Scummiest Perk is actually is a hidden one and it's called "Survivor".

• DeadeyeDeadeye Member Posts: 3,452

Lol... 25m is camping... alright

25m is a range that I rarely can reach against most teams that lurk around for insta unhooks...

• HumanHuman Member Posts: 40

devour is completely useless against experienced survivors. They just know all the totem spawns and even if they don't cleanse it right away, maximum value you can get out of it is 1 instadown. It's already going to be cleansed before you even hooked the guy that got exposed.

• DeadeyeDeadeye Member Posts: 3,452

"zero intention" is maybe your playstyle. If something forces me to get away from the hook, I try to do something useful in the meantime. Staring at the hook at 25m distance is also a great way to tell survivors that you have Devour. Not sure if you had a bad game against someone like this and didn't read the playstyle properly, but from my experience this is maybe 1 of 10 games the case and the easier Devour matches. Devour is fine

• TAGTAG Member Posts: 11,983

Devour Hope requires the killer to be more than 24 meters away to get a token.

• PigMainClaudettePigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842

Devour Hope gives survivors an extra objective outside of generators. There's nothing scummy about that. You ignore totems, you get punished. Simple as that.

If a group of survivors LEAVES it, then the killer has a well-earned power fantasy of a game.

You also have four very specific requirements that must be met:

- Hooks. You have to do some of your objective first.

- Unhooks, so no suicides or aggressive BT saves allowed

- an ACTIVE Hex totem

- distance from a hook when the survivor is unhooked

It rewards killers for playing well and punishes survivors for ignoring their surroundings.

• DeshDesh Member Posts: 1,118

I expected OOO to be the scummiest perk since it's usually toxic players who utilize it. But DH? Really? A perk that is anti-camping and to a degree, anti-tunneling? Idk who YOU'RE playing against who uses DH the way you describe (I use it often but I hardly meet high tier Killers who run it when I play Survivor on PC), but DH isn't commonly used like that. Also a perk that a Survivor controls by letting it stand or not? Jesus, talk about entitlement.

• RaccoonRaccoon Member Posts: 5,858

Expected Insidious, got whining about a perk that requires effort to use/deters camping.

If someone is just going to return to the hook each time, Make Your Choice would serve them better as it's not a hex and provides a similar scenario of 2 one hit downs without being tied to both a Hex and 3 hook requirement to get started.

Mori ability? Fair reward for intentionally allowing 5 unhooks, though people (good players) will unhook just as you're about to get into DH range after the first one hit down with DH.

I guess perks that require fair effort, promote fair play and have viable counterplay (unhook distance/cleansing) are falling out of favor @[email protected]

• clem1710clem1710 Member Posts: 275

Imagine complaining about a park that can be denied just by pressing m1 during 14 seconds

• Reaver_RazielReaver_Raziel Member Posts: 400

Ah. It is fine, I dont recall it ever starting as a dull totem, but I havent played from the very start. Only came into the game around Freddy (end of 2017) And yeah reading intent into words, isnt exactly easy. I can see how that could very easily be misunderstood xD. But I did mean it, when I said it was very balanced. Probably should exclude the 'insane' part though.

• MusicNerd_TCMusicNerd_TC Member Posts: 3,099

Lol, I just had a team burn a Midwich offering with OoO against my trapper. You can imagine how that went.

• drakonukarisdrakonukaris Member Posts: 118

It's not boring, it is terrifying to go against when you realize the killer has it, you are forced to scramble and look for totems and be an immersed gamer for a while and get your ass off gens. I have no idea what you are talking about honestly, hex spawns are terrible on most maps for killer and so incredibly obvious, to this day you can spawn on a hex totem as survivor and cleanse it immediately. If your team tunnel visions on gens and ignores totems that's a fair price to pay, hex perks should be rightfully powerful because that's all they are... temporary perks

• TAGTAG Member Posts: 11,983
  • RoobnusRoobnus Member Posts: 375

Yea, I also think so. It's a high risk / high reward perk that also requires efforts to become useful.

Though that's to keep in mind: most of the time if it gets to 5 or even just 3 tokens, the match is already decided and DH just speeds up the process - at least that was my experience with it.

• BlackhouseBlackhouse Member Posts: 15

Devour also has the secondary benefit of distracting the killer from properly applying pressure to gens, as they are typically too invested in getting use from the hex before it is destroyed. Unlike, say, Third Seal, one does not run Devour as a supplementary perk.

• RizeAkiRizeAki Member Posts: 1,209

I find it mostly has a healthy play style to it. It makes you not camp as much for a chance at a late game snowball. Even then it is a totem so can be countered and as you said they have bad spawns so not too hard to find and break.

• Demonl3yDemonl3y Member Posts: 1,416

Even then its on the player if he camps or not, not the perk. The perk itself doesnt encourage tunneling or camping

• terumisanterumisan Member Posts: 1,285

how are you boosted for using pop it rewards you for getting hooks

• Cassandra_AlexandraCassandra_Alexandra Member Posts: 253

Exactly what he said. It makes a match more exciting. Matches can get monotonous and this really changes things up. I know when I’ve been in that situation, I feel this tenseness all of a sudden. I want anything that’s going to up the horror element.

• SocialDistomancySocialDistomancy Member Posts: 1,319
    edited August 2020

if you get tunneled like that, just don't struggle if nobody seems to be doing anything (or able to) and you miss the ds or used it already and start another match. with mmr change you'll probably be rewarded for that anyways being less likely to deal with similar killers eventually, one could hope. so it really isn't too much of a bother. until then, try and not get tunneled, and start using others as bait while getting as many gen points as you can and keeping an eye out for the hatch as you move around between since it's probably a hatch match. obviously if you find the totem, and you see by the UI the killer is involved in a chase or you already know where the killer is, kill the totem for it. Then be prepared to get focused hard for it if they catch you near the area afterward ha ha.

• mostlyghostlymostlyghostly Member Posts: 135

Wow, complaining about devour hope haha I guess it was only a matter of time. What's next, haunted grounds? Retribution?

• MusicNerd_TCMusicNerd_TC Member Posts: 3,099

Do bones, use detectives hunch :).

• Some_Dood64Some_Dood64 Member Posts: 121

>Hardly promotes not camping

Not only does this perk immediately show how balanced it is by being a totem in the first place, but if it gets to three or five stacks, that's the survivor's fault. Literally every bit of the perk depends on survivors being saviors. If they don't find the totem, oh well.

But back to the reason I picked that little snippet. How does it promote camping, if I may ask? If anything, it gives me/others more reason to leave and pressure gens, or chase someone else outside of the hook radius. There is zero reason to stand outside it and wait for someone to unhook. If you stand still outside of a chase to mind game, that's just a waste of time. That's like waiting around at a gen almost 50% while others decide to do another one.

Hell, even if it is a Spirit, or whatever 'campy' killer you want to draw from the deck, survivors shouldn't sit at a hook and heal in the first place unless they absolutely know the killer is busy. That's just the riskiest move out there.

• FreeshamFreesham Member Posts: 260

Honestly, some of the other Hex perks like Lullaby and Third Seal need to be buffed to be at Devour Hope's level of impact. High risk high reward, not high risk low reward.

• EmpireWinnerEmpireWinner Member Posts: 1,054

Lol when does it ever activate?

If anything it's noed and ds

• ZeidoktorZeidoktor Member Posts: 958

I was honestly expecting the scummiest perk to be Decisive Strike. I don't mind Devour Hope myself because I see it as a NOED/Mori you really have to work for.