Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

Rank DOES matter

I am seeing not just mods but other players defending the whole Rank means nothing and it is a soft way of determining a players skill. They also say it just means that player plays a ton.

This is simply not true. You do not just get to red rank killer or survivor by playing 1000 hours and sucking. You need to do things to meet criteria to pip and rank up.

As survivor you need to do gens and save people and win chases. You cant just see the killer and fall on the ground and go oops i am dead but I played 1000 hours so I am ranked now. It does not work like that.

As killer you cannot see the survivors and lose chases and not pressure gens and expect to rank.

I do agree yes Ranking is a bit easy but I have almost 1000 hours of play and never been Rank 1 on either side. I mean by what people are saying I should be rank 1 because I play a lot but it simply is not true. I have some good games and some bad games. Some games I Pip and some I DePip.

Rank DOES equal skill because it shows the killer can and does know how to win chases. They have an idea of what perks work together and how to apply pressure. On survivor side it shows the survivor knows how to loop and win chases and can save fellow players and do gens without worry.

Overall I do not mean to seem rude but if rank never mattered then why have any rank or matchmaking system? It is because even the developers know you cannot put a Rank 1 with a Rank 10-20 and think they are at the same level of skill because it is not simply just play time but it is SKILL.

Sorry just wanted to put that out there and I know it is just another persons dumb opinion so please ignore me. I hope you all have a good weekend and your matches be great.

Comments

• WylesongWylesong Member Posts: 641

Exactly! Just playing a lot does not give you better ranks. My skill getting better and achieving things in game gives me better rank. That means my skill is getting better and my RANK is going up. The whole just play a ton and get high rank is crap.

Rank=Skill

Rank does not=Time played

Yes Rank does on one foot equal time played BUT on the other foot you need skill.

Thanks for your post. =) Hope you have a great evening/day <(^.^)> Live long and prosper! NANO NANO!

• MarigoriaMarigoria Member Posts: 4,060

Ranks do matter, if they didn't, people wouldn't have complained about matchmaking and we wouldn't have this new MMR.

Also yes, you get to red ranks by playing a lot, it's called practice, and practice makes you better and more skillful.

• MissKitty95MissKitty95 Member Posts: 746

Until I stop seeing potatoes at rank 1 rank don’t matter; I get Better low ranks then I do high ranks;

Yes I agree but that still mean RED RANK players have a HIGHER skill. Instead many think just playing gets you to red rank and that simply is not true because I have almost 1000k hours and never got further than purple and would drop back.

I agree with what you said though You do get to Red Rank by playing a lot.....but it is not simply because you played but because your skill got better. This means it simply is not just time but once again SKILL meaning if you see a Red Rank against a Rank 20 heck even maybe a 10 the chances are they are gonna stomp them because the red rank has higher skill from playing so much compared to the others.

Thanks for your response and I hope you have a great evening! <(^.^)> May the odds be ever in your favor!

Do you mean when you play killer at Rank 1 you are also getting Rank 1 survivors who have no clue how to play?

Both survivor and killer , this is why I laugh when I see people saying every game it’s a sweat squad , we must be playing different games because I come up agaisnt a sweat squad once a week if that & I play this game a lot,

Rofl I love this post and honestly I had better balanced matches with the old system then the current one

and this is after 30 games almost 40 now

• PiiFreePiiFree Member Posts: 1,150
    edited August 2020

I always said Victory Cube was better than this Emblem farming simulator. I am very curious how exactly the current system works because I have absolutely no explanation for all the unfair matches we keep getting even after 50 matches.

And yea, anyone saying that played on Rank 1 knows that it's a whole different level than Rank 20-5. There's a reason people deranked on purpose because they got tired of the "tryhards" (the people that actually WIN when they play for it).

I play on Switch and the only thing I see sweaty is me on a hot day. lol Personally from my experience I see more potatoe low Ranks. When I get higher rank people we tend to do so much better. I mean I had one match recently where it was me and 2 other higher rank people OF COURSE AGAINST a Rank 1 and we still managed to get 3 gens done. Then in all these games posted I was lucky to get 2 gens done.

Higher rank at least in my experience has equaled better skill. When I play survivor if my teammates are Rank 15 and other they pop gens or throw pallets just for fun. If I get Rank 10 or lower we actually give the killer a good time.

When I play killer if I get Rank 20's I can not only tell but take pity. I can tell when I am against Higher ranks or lower ranks just on the moves they make while chasing.

Overall my experience so far is Rank equals skill for me.

• Demonl3yDemonl3y Member Posts: 1,416

Then why did my GF, who litteraly know nothing really about DbD or gaming in general got to rank 1? Because she got carried by me and random mates.

Rank means nothing.

• PipefishPipefish Member Posts: 331

I'd say getting rank 1 killer is difficult. As for survivor though if you got a good SWF they can pull you to rank one easily.

• MilanceeeMilanceee Member Posts: 161

Then how the flip am I rank 1 killer and rank 4 survivor when I have a little bit over 500 hours in the game?

I like your comparison from R1 hag to R1 trapper.

You are right just because you are a R1 Hag does not mean you are a R1 Trapper. It does mean you at least know how to win chases and how to apply pressure and a basic knowledge of how survivors play. IT give you a edge against someone BRAND new to the game that picks Trapper.

This new MMR system and how it measure your skill per Killer is just as bad. I mean yes okay you stomp with Hag so you get matched with Read Rank or MMR Survivors to match.

However this is when the issue happens NOW you pick Trapper and it places you with now Rank 20's or MMR survivors that are new or low as poop. Chances are these new to survivor side have no skill what so ever but even though you do not STOMP with trapper you have much better knowledge than the survivors. You could probably skip laying traps and just M1 the survivors dead.

Personally I had better experience with the old system much more than I am having with this new system.

Thanks for posting about your experience though and hope you have a great evening and good luck in your future matches. =)

edited August 2020

So your g/f sat in the corner and did nothing while you did all the gens and saved everyone? How did she get enough points to even pip?

She had to do something to get points. She had to have skill to win chases and do gens and save fellow teammates.

Also if rank is that easy to get why did carry her? She could have got it on her won then. Of course that is if she has the skill to get there so it sounds like Rank does equal at least some skill.

I agree but even in a SWF team you personally cannot stand in a corner and pip you still need to win chases and do gens to get the points to pip meaning you still learned how to play.

• IIITweedleIIIIIITweedleIII Member Posts: 831

You're mistaking one thing.

Ranks don't matter NOW.

Playtime raises experience by a minuscule notion. (You can for 20 games play safe and not do a single thing but run out the gates same for Killer you still get points even for chasing in many ways. Cut the chase. Chase another survivor. Cut at them. Vault at them, everything makes bp that add up. Hours and hours of this raiseD them to high ranks.

This will change NOW (and yes I digress the mentioning of "now") WEEKS I to gaming. It has only been a few if not couple of DAYS. since NOW Ranks Won't matter. But they use to matter. And that's why you still see Ranks. Because that too is in the works to be changed. As the MMR system gets a greater feel to how things are going to be.

• RoobnusRoobnus Member Posts: 375

The fact that Survivor need to get carried to Rank 1 is already proof that Rank means something. It's really not hard to understand. I can get boosted to Global Elite is CS:GO or Immortal in Dota 2, that doesn't mean the ranking is meanless. In fact it's the opposite.

edited August 2020

Oh 100% , I’ve played with people in a swf that are red ranks and I just laugh to myself like yeh I don’t kno how your the same rank as me but Ok I’m just going to carry on doing what I’m doing, LOL I’m not even the best player but I can defo hold my own: well I’ve done it for 3 year lol

I always told her exactly what to do.

When she got chased i tried to lure the killer away and tried to protect her.

edited August 2020

So she did have to do something and still if Rank meant nothing why did she need to be carried? She could have got to rank 1 on her own right?

If it means nothing she should have been able to get to Rank 1 on her own unless you are saying she didn't have the skill to do it without you?

Not bashing your g/f just trying to understand why she needed carrying if rank is that easy. I hope she enjoyed the game at least. =)

I love your post and it is very true. The people saying no rank means nothing I carried so and so. Well why did you need to carry them if it is that easy to get? They could get it on there own but wait you knew they didn't have the SKILL to get there. lol

• RoobnusRoobnus Member Posts: 375

Thank you, it' exactly like that. Another thing to keep in mind, Rank 1 doesn't mean that everyone is equally as skilled at everything. Some people can juke Nurse good, others know how to deal with Trapper or Hag so obviously people experience different scenarios and get the feeling that they played with potatoes but perhaps it's more likely that they just didn't know how to play against this specific Killer, map or whatever.

She did gens, totems and saves and played steathly. You dont need chases to pip.

Also yea she would get to rank 1 even without me since its easy to pip or atleast safe pip. It may take a while but she would get it.

That being said, right now after some days of playing she of course adeptet

• MadLordJackMadLordJack Member Posts: 8,815

If ranks are such a good indicator of skill, why is it that most people at red ranks, and I mean the significant majority, suck worse than a broken vacuum cleaner?

Why is it that so many red ranks run Self Care?

Why is it that most red ranks don't look behind them?

Why is it that most red ranks cannot loop?

And, and this is the real important part, did you know that the survivor second-chance meta actually makes it easier to rank up than it already is? Right now, to pip at red ranks, you need to do a gen, a totem, a safe unhook, a heal, and a minutes worth of chasing. Not only do second chance perks mess with the emblem system (BT = free unhook, UB/DH= more chase, DS = more everything) but the system itself sucks.

I get people wanting to pretend that they are good at the game. I get wanting that sense of accomplishment. But the developers themselves came out and said that rank was a personal victory, not a measure of skill.

Exactly! I mean I am pretty good but give me a Doctor or Spirit and I am a potato. I agree it is more about the killer I go against.