Home PTB Feedback Archives 4.2.0 PTB Feedback
Due to an issue with Hit Validation affecting interactions with Oni players, we are temporarily disabling the feature until the next hotfix.

Very Disappointed With Blight from a lore perspective

LordRegalLordRegal Member Posts: 1,171

The Blight is, I believe, the killer that has had the longest buildup to his reveal ever. Tome 1 had a full set of entries on him, how he experimented on the other killers, how he lost his mind completely only to get a tiny piece of it back, and how he went from refusing to participate in the trials to being willing as long as he could get his serum fix. He sounded fascinating - a true mad scientist who fell prey to the thing that he was experimenting on.

The Blight's new lore added to the beginning of his story is excellent as well, I'm really happy with it. Fits what we knew of him from Tome 1, and on the whole adds to the background.

Why then, is this brilliant but insane mind, not using...any of it? His power is "blindly smack into walls and only after smacking into a wall and losing a few brain cells can he hit the survivors." I don't get it. There's no mind there, there's no mad genius. He has enough sanity left to know how to work his syringes, but otherwise he's, objectively, the dumbest killer in the roster. No one else is intentionally slamming into walls, no one else literally forgets how to hit survivors. It's such a different story from his entire lore, where yes he's insane, but he's also extremely intelligent, that it's extremely jarring.

I was really, really looking forward to The Blight whenever he came down the road, and I'm extremely disappointed. I don't get "addict scientist" vibes from him, I get "addict" vibes from him. Why bother making his backstory showcase his actual intelligence time and time again if his power objectively is the least intelligent power in the 21 killer lineup? It's awful and I feel really let down because his lore promised so much more than this.

Comments

• TAGTAG Member Posts: 8,012

I mean, when Dr. Jekyll becomes Mr. Hyde, he kinda loses all notion of intellect and becomes a big 'ol brute, no?

• LordRegalLordRegal Member Posts: 1,171

It's been a long while since I read it, but if I'm remembering correctly Hyde is still intelligent, just a sociopath.

• lucid4444lucid4444 Member Posts: 470

Even the smartest people become crackheads when they smoke crack.

(for real though i agree)

• HarHenHarHen Member Posts: 28

When Jekyll turned into Hyde the good in Jekyll could still control and limit the monstrosity that is Hyde . This killer is 100% not the alchemist it is some guy who bounces on the walls. There should be some part of his power that embraces the mix of mechanical and magical sciences Vigo used rather than constantly injecting himself with the putrid serum. Maybe when he isn't "blighted" he could have a partially corrupt form where he can use blight traps or something that he designed in his precorrupt form. IMO his current state is kind of lackluster and the power(which is an interesting concept) belongs on another killer.

• SCP_FOR_DBDSCP_FOR_DBD Member Posts: 2,416

Yeah, he could definitely use a secondary, to help his lore and viability,

• TAGTAG Member Posts: 8,012

Depends on the version of the story, I would imagine.

• LordRegalLordRegal Member Posts: 1,171
    edited August 18

It's a long one, here you are: https://imgur.com/a/NKFwO8x

Edit #7: there, now it's not a massive image block.

• TodgeweihtTodgeweiht Member Posts: 3,384

Hm, its not bad, just not as exciting or interesting as I expected it to be from the tome

I was personally expecting Vigo :/

• KhorzadKhorzad Member Posts: 102
    edited August 18

He is still intelligent. He still uses a weapon when his arm should be enough (given that he beat the Trapper with it) and his mori seems to be him experimenting with the survivor and killing them when it does not pay off. Also, some of his add-ons confirm that he is experimenting with the survivors, so he still does “science”stuff, is just overshadow by the “addiction” part, which I think it fits the character:

Because yeah, he started experimenting out of desperation and curiosity, but he quickly degraded from that, specially when he got a taste of the nectar:

I awoke to a terrible cry booming from the cellar and a violent bout of nausea. Through the vile ordeal, I started to recollect what had happened. Tainted with the foul serum, my wound had swollen with lymph, at which point my assailant returned. Most of our fight was a blur, but I can recall red tears trickling down his gruesome cheeks as I clawed at his face. And some moment later when I kicked him, sending him crashing into a brick wall. The power I felt then… there are no words for it. I now know that there is truth to Vigo's methods. Another cry. My assailant, now chained in the cellar, must be getting restless. This is just the beginning.

And in Tome 1, Talbot, cared about knowledge and finding the truth about the realm, but he was also very obsessed in recreating the feelings and the power that he felt when injecting himself, losing his humanity to a point where he would regress himself to a salvage brute if it meant savoring the serum one more time:

He moves through the death and decay of the void. He doesn't remember his name. Everything's a blur. He feels pain in his stomach. In his arms. In his veins. He needs… he needs to find one of those… flowers… the nectar… the sweet serum that gives… strength. Strength for what? He remembers… the killers… experimenting on them. Why? Why was he experimenting on them? He doesn't… remember. He caused a lot of suffering, but he doesn't feel remorse. He doesn't even know if he should feel remorse. He doesn't feel anything but an ache in the pit of his stomach for power.

He feels the hunger. Not for food or drink. Not for talk or fun. For a flower. A single flower. For serum. He knows The Entity is watching him.

Is hunger confuses him. Oppresses him. He'd do anything for that feeling again. Anything. Even… return to the trials. He would. He'd rip survivors and killers apart limb from limb for that feeling again. He begins to mumble words. A promise… one flower… one flower… and I will do anything…

And The Blight is the end result. Still intelligent, but now only concerned at gaining nectar as quickly as possible, so him running around, hitting walls in his pursuit of survivors is meant to convey, first, the feeling of power and aggression that the injection gives, and secondly, the desperation of the Blight, that wants to get the survivors NOW, hook them, experiment on them, kill them, win the trial, get more nectar as a reward and he does not care if he acts like a wild animal to do it.

I understand that people wanted a Jekyll and Hyde style, but I think this power fits his character more and things like the injections giving different effects could have been cool, but we already knew what the injections did and this shows their effects well. As mentioned above, this is a Jekyll that is in his Hyde mode 100%, fully addicted to the sensations and the power of the new form.