Home Technical Issues
We're currently investigating issues with frame rate on PS4 after the most recent update. Thank you to everyone for bringing this to our attention, and for your patience while we look into this

PS4 overheating only on DbD

13»

Comments

• PandasaurusFlexPandasaurusFlex Member Posts: 9

I haven't purchased any new dlc since this problem has started. If I can't even play the game, why should I even waste my time. I also tell all my friends it a waste of time and I've been waiting almost a year for it to be fixed. I'm just gonna wait for the PS5 at this point. I took it to an electronics store that I know cleans REALLY GOOD and they took it all apart pretty much and cleaned the heat sink and everything. (Even applied thermal paste) and when I got it back I tried playing the game and JUST LIKE THAT. My system committed suicide during the pregame loading screen. They're not gonna fix it. It's like Friday The 13th: The Game at this point. It's hopeless. Little patch here, little patch there but aside from that. As far as the pro goes, it's not going anywhere.

• LiunUKLiunUK Member Posts: 372

usually for me is when i am loading the game up before getting to the menu but it also happens when searching for a match but its been like this since the darkness among us dlc, i thought it was just me though

• sliptteesslipttees Member Posts: 654

This game is bad optimized for consoles.

• DeadlyDDeadlyD Member Posts: 10

for me wen i do play it runs really good and smooth its just that initial startup that needs something, something about an uncapped framerate, idk how that works but i heard something about this makes consoles try overwork themselves to death, i hav not jumped back on since i got the overheat message, an i still have not seen this acknowledged by any dev or anything, i could be looking in the wrong place, but untill i hear something about this i wont play it again, an it sucks bc right now on psn all the dlc is even on sale

• SnapshotSnapshot Member Posts: 867

I think the inital startup "video" or "trailer" before the menu loads maxes out CPU because of unoptimized framerate (uncapped). Still don't know why this is not fixed? @KhaineGB

• DeadlyDDeadlyD Member Posts: 10

i would love to see a dev chime in on this, but seein as its a post goin on 2 years old i dont expect any to

• Revzi100Revzi100 Member Posts: 425

8 months ago this issue was brought up and still nothing.

• realnemo25realnemo25 Member Posts: 3

I have had this issue too. My PS4 pro will load this game up but once it boots into a game it claims overheating and turns my console off. Only with this game btw.

• CoachtingsinnitCoachtingsinnit Member Posts: 1

As much as I like this game the devs are useless when it comes to this, I’ve tried everything everyone has said in this forum and even fully cleaned my console, I’ve re downloaded the game multiple times and I still can’t play. The devs need to fix this

• Helevetin_nopeeHelevetin_nopee Member Posts: 408

This game has always been badly optimized for consoles. No other game I have ever played on my ps4, or any console, runs as badly as Dbd does.

• Helevetin_nopeeHelevetin_nopee Member Posts: 408
    edited April 14

Dust does not affect performance. It can only affect performance at that point when the ps4 is hot enough, so it can't properly cool itself down because of dust. And even then very lightly, your ps4 will just be louder.

• mrpc85mrpc85 Member Posts: 1

Happened to me after the last update (Silent Hill) fan goes crazy and it turns off. The stupid developers didn;t cap the framerate on the press X screen so your fan goes into overdrive as it falsely thinks the cpu is maxing out. When your fan speed goes from 0- max in seconds the failsafe is to turn the ps4 off to prevent damage. To bypass this you need to run a game (i choose sniper elite 4 as the menu is intensive on the fans, close the application and load DBD i can stay on the press x to continue screen forever, you just need to be able to hear your fan before you change to DBD and the jump from current speed to max doesn;t trigger the ps4 overheating failsafe. Tbh the devs should just fix this pos game as ive never had the issue since the last update, but then again ive always played DBD after playing other games

• Parko444Parko444 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 28

It worked First try.Thanks!

• sliptteesslipttees Member Posts: 654
    edited June 28

My ps4 broken today cause dbd!

• SnapshotSnapshot Member Posts: 867

I think I know the reason. Many people say their PS4 overheats when sitting in the game loading sequence or the screen to press a button to continue. The processor generates too much heat because according to Sony when low frame rate is required and there is very little to compute, the PS4 processor generates much, much more heat. That is kinda counter-intuitive but the reality. That's why some developers of other games implement "dummy" instructions into their game to prevent the system from overheating in game phases where there is little to compute for the CPU.

It seems like the DBD devs have never heard or thought about this, sadly :(

• caseyjamessmallcaseyjamessmall Member Posts: 10

Mind does it too, only with DBD. Plays other games fine

• KhaineGBKhaineGB Member, Mod Posts: 3,938

The last I heard when I reported this was "Not reproducable."

I can ask them to take a look at it again, but no promises.

• Dudleybug63Dudleybug63 Member Posts: 1

For me dbd will shut down my ps4 like I unplugged the ac power cord so I can't play dbd at all which annoys me because it's 30 gb but red dead redemption 2 is 113 gb but it works just fine. I don't know why dbd kills my ps4 and to the point where I can't play the game or it will damage my ps4 is so annoying since I've spent money on it.

• jackal470jackal470 Member Posts: 122
    edited September 26

Had to quote ya....I love your s/n a throw back to the good old days of thrash metal 😎 nothing like riding the lightning 😨

Forgot to mention I had troubles that others are describing and the only thing I can suggest would be to get an external ssd drive and run dbd from that. I think it's helped me on ps4 with stuttering and performance of the system itself...just my experience with my OG system

• JawsIsTheNextKillerJawsIsTheNextKiller Member Posts: 2,019

If you watch any streamer on PC who shows their frame rate on screen, the frame rate shoots up to 100s of FPS at the same times where our PS4s overheat - The menus and offerings screen - suggesting that there could be a link. Others have suggested that the devs capping the frame rate on the menus and offerings screen might fix this.

It is odd that the game runs cool in game, it's only the menus and offerings screen that cause these problems.