Home Discussions General Discussions
We have deployed a fix for an issue that was causing players to lose pips when a match was cancelled.
No update is required, but this may take a few hours to be applied across our servers to all players. Thank you for your patience!

We have some programming gurus in the forums

I swear some of the things people say....

All these suggestions where people are like "Oh if they're in a SWF, no one should be able to use the same item"

Or, "They should just deactivate Object of Obsession if a survivor is in a SWF"

Please tell me forum gurus, how do you go about programming this into the game? Like I don't think some people realize how ridiculous it would be to code some of the things they ask for.

So if my friends and I enter a lobby and one of us has a medkit, all of my medkits become inaccessible?

Comments

• ZozzyZozzy Member Posts: 1,103

Does it matter?

They never acknowledge SWF as an issue and they are never going to do anything to balance it. Not even by buffing solo players.

• GoodBoyKaruGoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 6,449

The performance of SWF groups isn't that much higher than solo survivors when looking at stats, despite how it may feel.

Paraphrased, this is what they've said about SWF vs solo. Clearl through the stats they have, it isn't exactly a huge difference in power.

• RakimSockemRakimSockem Member Posts: 1,251
    1. It isn't an issue.
    2. I'm not sure if I should call this a strawman argument or just completely attempting to change the subject but this isn't a thread about SWF. There's plenty of those in the forums if you want to look for one. The subject is why people ask for ridiculous programming things that they have no understanding of how hard it would be to implement
  • LycidasLycidas Member Posts: 307

Lol yes, once I went into an argument with some who was claiming that since bots were in DBD mobile, adding them to the main game was an easy thing to do since "The code is already there, they just need to copy and paste" 🤦‍♂️

• RakimSockemRakimSockem Member Posts: 1,251

LOLOLOL Oh noooooo.

People really just be pulling suggestions out their ass and know nothing about programming XD

• The_KrapperThe_Krapper Member Posts: 1,040

Well it would be easy now that they know how to make it work in mobile but I "lol" with you on the copy and paste , if it were that simple everyone would be a dev

• DragonMasterDarrenDragonMasterDarren Member Posts: 943

While i'm still learning to be a programmer, I imagine doing literally anything with the code would be extremely risky given how notoriously easy it is to break things with a small change, implementing a limit to survivor items could potentially screw something else up, like sounds, or breaks items entirely

Yes and no, you can say that they already know the things that in the AI has to do, but keep in mind that DBD mobile and the main game run on different servers, and the main game was not even designed to work on dedicated server to begin with

Go figure all the differences between DBD mobile and main DBD 😂

• The_KrapperThe_Krapper Member Posts: 1,040

Yes there's all kinds of differences in the game and I can agree it wouldn't be exactly the same but experimenting with the ai technology is similar in some ways I'm sure and that was what I was getting at is being able to make it a working thing on mobile means it's very possible for us to see it soon here as well if that's the direction they're choosing for handling DC

I hope to see a bot on the main game soon as well, especially since it seems like they are not finding a solution to making the DC penalty timer "hacker-safe" and they have to switch it off and on at times

• RyuhiRyuhi Member Posts: 1,132

Conditional checks don't even require programming knowledge, just the proper knowledge of syntax and references to make them work within the given language. The easiest way to do it would be to either force a lock (like how they did with killers) and the survivor lock would be that you can't change your loadout after selecting ready. Then if there is an overflow of something, you're unable to ready up as said item/perk/whatever has already had its maximum allotment. If you wait out the timer, it does a force removal of whatever surpassed the limit, and you go in empty handed/minus 1 perk/whatever type of system would be implemented.

Personally I don't think there should be a limit on number of items or anything like that, but I do think some perks should be prevented in SWF due to voice communication completely destroying the design philosophy behind them. Regardless, if they already have code in place to lock killers in at lobby creation, they already have most of the framework to do the same type of thing on the survivor side.

• MadLordJackMadLordJack Member Posts: 4,576

Not a specific programming language (they're complex and I haven't had to think in one in years), but a simple and general gist:

If status SWF=True, itemLock = true, perkLock = true, LockPerk(insert OoO here)

perkLock: duplicate Perk = False

itemLock: duplicate Item = False

LockPerk: perk is permanently disabled.

If invitefriend = True, SWF = True

Clearly not super adequate, not written in an actual language (though it's close to the more basic ones, I guess) and I literally came up with it between matches at 1am. Definitely doable.

And as to your last question: Yes. If someone loads in with medkit, all of yours get greyed out. If you both do, they both get unequipped or the first person to establish a connection gets to keep theirs. If you're sitting in a lobby, anyone else tryong to bring one in whom you invited gets it unequipped. Specific perks get unequipped and greyed out as well. Naturally, there's a lot of UI bugs and potential circumnavigation that need to get ironed out, not to mention the game-breaking shite that happens when you change something. Seriously, writing code as complex and convoluted as a videogame is like playing whackamole. The difficulty is in what you accidentally create as a byproduct, not the initial creation.

• Zucker_SchockZucker_Schock Member Posts: 261

This would be a rough start, it would only check if someone has the same item as the host and lock it. It probably has some errors and it all depends on their System, Networking, Code, Engine (Unreal Engine), Programming Language and so on. Just did a Quick overview of how something like that could look like. Of course there would need to be some backend stuff that i just assumed. Ist just a quick draft.

In gamemode.swf

Start(){

Public string = %1

Public gameobject = player.Ui

}

Update(){

If this.player==host{ // could be put in Start instead

%1="Player.id1.itemtype"

Network.call.player.id2.itemtype

Network.call.player.id3.itemtype

Network.call.player.id4.itemtype

If (Player.id1.itemtype == player.id2.itemtype) || (%1== player.id3.itemtype)||(%1== player.id4.itemtype) {

Lock.Player.id1.itemtype

Network.send.%1.locked to swf.group

player.Ui.items.%1.icon=Ui.icon.locked

}

}

}

Keep in mind this is a quick draft and no where close to perfect or functional.

• Zucker_SchockZucker_Schock Member Posts: 261
    edited August 2020

You could also just put a limit of 1 on every item and send over the Network if this item has been choosen. Thats probably a bit more elegant.