Home Dead by Daylight Forums Technical Issues

DeadByDaylight-Win64-Shipping.exe - Application Error - 0xc0000142

TricksTricks Member Posts: 957
edited August 2020 in Technical Issues

I've been getting this error message:

I've tried:

Verifying integrity of game files via Steam to no avail:

I've also tried:

• Uninstalling dbd from steam then re-installing (unresolved - same error message)
  • Uninstalling dbd from the Control Panel then re-installing (unresolved - same error message)

• Command Prompt Administrator mode /SCANNOW (to scan integrity of all protected system files and repair if possible) and got this message:
  • Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir/Logs/CBS.log. For example C:/Windoows/Logs.CBS.CBS.Log. Note that logging is currently not supported in offline servicing scenarios.
  • I've checked the CBS.Log file and have no idea what I'm looking for or what to do if I was to find anything.

• Command Prompt Administrator mode:
  • for %i in (%windir%\system32\*,ocx) do 
  • regsvr32.exe /s %i

• In Steam: Right click - properties - Local files - browse local files - EasyAntiCheat - Delete Certificate folder. (This allowed me to get past the above error message but closed the game when it got to checking certificates - Restoring the deleted Certificate folder resolved the game closing down but returned the original error

• I've heard roomer of copying the shell32.dll from another computer with the same operating system and replacing it (which I'm really not comfortable doing)

Any idea where I would even begin on this support link here?

MASTER FIXES AND GENERAL GUIDELINES

I really just need help. I'm at my wits end here. Every suggested fix I find all I end up actually finding is another deeper layer of convolution sending me off on a different dead end.

Please, help?

Comments

• TricksTricks Member Posts: 957

I'd very much like to continue to buy content for dbd but if I cant use it I obviously have no incentive to do so. With this in mind is there any tech support avenue I could follow here that would aid me to get back to a position where I could continue to contribute money to content produced for dbd?

I'm also wondering why this is only affecting dbd and no other games I try if this is an issue on my end. I mean don't get me wrong all I want is a solution or at least a path to a solution. If it's an issue on my end if I can get it working fantastic. I've just tried everything I can think of within my means. I'm reluctant to go too far down that rabbit hole in case I cause something serious to happen to my operating system that cannot be resolved.

edited August 2020

I'm wondering if I'm one of these "rare cases" found on the dbd forums here:

https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/153/master-fixes-and-general-guidelines#latest

VERIFY SYSTEM INTEGRITY WITH SYSTEM FILE CHECKER

After running the system file checker "/scannow" in administrative command prompt I have this error message:

For which the only solution would be to find the offending file/s under CBS log (which I have no idea what to look for) then find the same working files on a different computer, copy them over, go through some convoluted process to replace them far more complex than simply copying and pasting, potentially destroying my operating system in the process. Surely there's a simple solution here?

None of this explains why this is only affecting dbd, and no other games, program's or processes.

Very confused, frustrated and still in need of help.

In fact, how would I obtain such help as quoted here:

@Suggestive "I'm seeing an "untrusted system file"/security violation message!

I've noticed an increase in tickets on the support desk about this. This -usually- pops up when you have custom RGB lighting in your hardware. It is the software that controls this that leads to this security violation.

Whilst I fully understand the inconvenience this will cause - EAC will rarely allow you to play the game whilst this software is running. Please disable those things via task manager before loading the game".

Thank you.

Well I've just re-installed the game. . . Again. Rebooted and same error message.

I've also updated graphics drivers via the forum recomended "Geforce Experience". Rebooted and same error message.

edited August 2020

Mother of god. The fursther I delve into this the more problems I find. Now theres a windows update that cant be installed unless you go have tea with the mad hatter in the 9th projection of reality via a psychic usb port

Then this seemed to fix it. I'm highly doubtful that its resolved anything than this sub 'problem' thats so many layers below the original problem I'm starting to feel like I'm the Inception movie.

Then I tried to do a windows system recovery but it requires a copy of windows to insert into your DC drive. . . I mean who has CD drives these days? everything's all online.

• Slay___Slay___ Member Posts: 873

The problem seems to be that your Windows file is corrupt or edited by malware, so the anti-cheat wont let you play while you have issues with that particular file, shell32.dll, to prevent possible cheating by modified system files.

Looking at your screenshots it looks like you are using Windows 7, is that correct?

If you were to upgrade to Windows 10 you could repair your Windows files without a full reinstall just by using the Internet, no CD, DVD or other methods required.

For Windows 7 you might have a chance using the install media by booting to that and selecting repair Windows but do you have those disks anymore?

edited August 2020

Well its been half a month now and still cant access dbd. wondering where I go from here as I cant get access to a Windows 10 upgrade or the original copy of Windows 8.1

Clearly there is no solution so there is nowhere to go from here other than to just find another game ditching the hundreds of dollars piled into dbd.

• Slay___Slay___ Member Posts: 873

With Windows 8.1 you still have hope.

To repair your Windows just by using the Internet open cmd.exe as an administrator user and run this command, DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Then reboot your PC and try to launch the game.

If that doesn't work you may have to use reset Windows which reinstall your Windows causing you to lose most of your files and programs. It only keeps everything inside C:\Users folder and small percentage of your installed software. So making backup of everything you need is highly recommended, those files should be located outside of your primary disk such as external storage drives.

Here are the documentation for both of those methods in case you want to read how they work exactly.

Click the boxes to open the links.

Thanks for that, think that was one of the many commands I tried in my long and painful fruitless string of attempts. Tried it again anways and:

Gunna coppy all my krap off onto an external hard drive and send it off for a format / re-install. So probably another half a month then. lol

• jadssjadss Member Posts: 207

There are many things that could potentially do this error.

Also, shell32.dll is untrusted because it could be potentially not certified by microsoft = virus. So I would try to check the computer for viruses and doing dism to restore the computer to normal state. Tho if you're Inteligent you're safe and you're probably not gonna get viruses.

Can't help that much tho.

• jadssjadss Member Posts: 207

tho trying this can be a good idea:

look if it fixes your problems, if not I don't know how to help ya.

Thanks, tried disabling all startup applications as suggested then rebooted and same problem its been every time.

Just going to post my pc off for a format and re-install at this point.

• KhaineGBKhaineGB Member, Mod Posts: 9,147

Yeah, since you've got corrupted windows files, I would honestly nuke the drive and reinstall at this point