Home Discussions General Discussions

Why are we concerned about the other side having fun?

Seriously. This is a competitive game whether you admit it or not. It has 2 sides each with an opposing objective so they compete. The complaint I keep seeing in various forms is "that's not fun for the other side" In any other game with a multiplayer, when has the other side give a damn about someone else's fun? Do you see people in fortnite, overwatch, CoD, They fall saying "you shouldn't do that. Not because it's effective but because it's no fun for me". Killer, survivor, doesn't matter. If you want both sides to have fun then the game cannot be competitive. If your not having fun move onto the next match or take Kote's advice and "Play something else".

Comments

• ExerlinExerlin Member Posts: 1,107

Game's a game where some people are competitive and some aren't. Some people are going to prioritize different aspects of the game than we do, and that's fine.

• Xbob42Xbob42 Member Posts: 1,118
    edited September 2020

Because even when I'm feeling competitive, I enjoy it more when I know my opponent isn't miserable and I'm not being an annoying little [BAD WORD]? Like, I don't know where people got it in their minds that being competitive means you have to be an absolute [BAD WORD] tool. No, you can still win and destroy your opponent without having to make them feel like [BAD WORD].

Your examples don't make much of an impact, either. In most competitive games, both sides are trying their hardest and (hopefully) having a good time while doing so. Instead of wasting 10+ minutes of someone else's time by being an ass in Fortnite, the other guys screws up, you shoot him, and it's over. That's it. End of game, he gets in an tries again in a new match.

The closer exmaple would be MOBAs, but those are terrible examples because those communities are known the land over for being toxic, and are in fact where the term toxic for this kind of behavior originated from. Prior to that, we just called "toxic" players assholes. But it needed new terminology when everyone was just a miserable sad sack in that genre as it blew up. Half the time the winning team isn't even having fun, everyone's just constantly pissed at everyone else. That's no way to enjoy a friggin' video game.

• NekoGamerXNekoGamerX Member Posts: 3,586

this game not meant to be competitive game just because it only got rank mode matter nothing because ranks don't matter also all the game you listed are competitive games and have more balance also both sides don't play different like dbd ALSO THEY ARE FPS!!!

• EndstilleEndstille Member Posts: 2,246
    edited September 2020

I don't care.

See in all other games bming is part of the game and I do not care whether the other team has fun in other games, be it dota, tekken or whatever I do play. It is hilarious to wipe a team in dota and taunt afterwards or spraypaint "LOOOSER!" after they just died or put on a voiceline for everybody to hear which just mocks them.

Really in dbd, yeah sometimes I do feel bad like when it is a baby killer or baby survivors (mmr good times) but yeah in the end i do not care and dont really see why I should. Because I think people are not little children and to lose a game is just that and not the end of the world. Somehow people here care whether or not the other person had fun. It is just an odd concern, i know some will tell me i am jerk but do keep in mind, I like to play the game, i want to win. I enjoy my wins and loss as well and I am fine with people mocking me for failing. I mean as long as you can laugh about your own fails, are people telling me they never made a stupid move and laughed about it because it was so dumb? Yeah but oh god other people are not allowed to laugh about it too.

Stop treating people like little kids, one bad game and they will leave. Yeah well okay so get lost and play tetris if you do not ragequit that as well once you lose. To lose is part of the game, i assume people are having fun otherwise they would play something else. 🤷‍♀️

• EvilJoshyEvilJoshy Member Posts: 2,701

"Competitive games are those in which players play against one another and where one player winning means another player loses. Two player games are often competitive, with a distinct win-or-lose outcome. ... Competitive games may involve multiple competing players or teams."

• Science_GuyScience_Guy Member Posts: 1,240

Why wouldn't you want your opponent to have fun?

Fun isn't a zero sum game, at least not beyond the unavoidable fact that winning is usually more fun than losing.

What I don't understand is the arguements both sides put forth because they aren't having fun.

"You shouldn't camp/tunnel as killer. It's no fun for me" "If your team is being over altruistic or it helps me complete my objective why shouldn't I?"

"You shoulnd't gen rush because I'm not having fun" "It's my objective. Why shouldn't I do it as efficiently as I can?"

It's not that I don't want my opponenet to have fun but if I am wining because I am playing very well some people make it seem like I should stop winning. If one side is being out played why should the other go easy on them? Especially when one side wouldn't extend them the same courtesy if the situations were reversed?

• MoundshroudMoundshroud Member Posts: 2,389

I always want everyone to have fun, but I'm not responsible for anyone's fun or behavior but my own. You can bring a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. DbD is a competitive, full contact PVP game. The fun is in the competition. This isn't group therapy. We don't come here to share our feelings. Killers gonna kill and Survivors going to escape. That's it. If people don't enjoy adversity and competition, this is the WRONG game for them. I would say that most PVP games are WRONG for them.

We only get out of games what we put into them. If we are going to throw a fit or be upset when we lose, or something seemed to hard or unfair, then we do not have the temperament for a game like this. Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes he eats you. I have fun even when the game is horrible and I'm getting curb-stomped. Of course I want to win. It goes without saying that nobody likes to lose. But the fun is in the competition, not the outcome. We don't win money or other REAL prizes, so the outcome of the game is meaningless. It is about the journey; it is about the fight.

I realize this may be an alien mindset to many of you who apparently started playing video games in this weird new world, but I assure you when PVP games first popped up we didn't spare a thought for this foolishness, nor did our opponents. You PLAY HARD. Don't cheat. Be humble in victory and gracious in defeat. That's it. You make your own fun, or not.

• Tactless_NinjaTactless_Ninja Member Posts: 1,791

lol, this guy. Bringing up nothing but symmetrical games when talking about an asymmetrical one.

Those games you don't give a [BAD WORD] about the other side because they have all the same tools you do.

edited September 2020

/clap

There's not many examples of asymmetrical games that are still being played these days. FT13th? Evolve? Death Garden lmao

Besides asymmetrical doesn't hold much weight on these forums because many many many players are under the impression 1 survivor should be able to go toe to toe with the killer and stand an equal chance.

• RockoRangoRockoRango Member Posts: 523

No one is asking anyone to treat the other side like children: They're asking if people could treat others like they're all part of the same community (which we all are).

It doesn't matter to me if it is asymmetrical or not. It is a PVP game, i.e. head to head competition. There will be winners and there will be losers. Game balance isn't in my wheelhouse. That is up the DEV. My job is to play the game to the best of my ability, not to cheat, and to be polite and well-mannered before and after the game. That's it. I want you to have fun, but I am NOT responsible for your fun. That is your job.

• AcromioAcromio Member Posts: 1,610

Only killers are ever to respect the survivors' rulebook, didn't you know that?

• TheWarNungTheWarNung Member Posts: 453
    edited September 2020

This. This exactly.

Killer and survivor are essentially playing two completely different games. You can't directly compare a survivor's skill to a killer's skill, even when the comparison seems quite stark.

There's nothing wrong with playing DBD comptetitively - heck I play Uno competitively. But I'm not going to pretend that Uno is a competitive e-sport. DBD is an asymmetrical game. Enjoy it for what it is.

• NekoGamerXNekoGamerX Member Posts: 3,586

this game shouldn't be compared to other Competitive games because one it unbalance mess and both sides are very different there like different games

but on your camping thing your fine if they rushing the hook that on them but if they not rushing the hook you camping at 5 gens that not fun,gen rush survivors need a 2nd objective or 3rd because they 2nd objective is totems that may fix the camping so hard and the game could be fun for both sides.

I play both sides I know whats going on here golden rule I like if you can't say something nice don't say anything stop being toxic mocking people for your own fun that what not fun about this game the after game.

edited September 2020

But here is the rub, there are NO SIDES. This is a game. Simply by being players we are a community and all on the same side. I play both Killer and Survivor. I know some people only play one or the other. The "sides" construct is a fake one, because those only exist INSIDE the match. The second we leave the match we are just Players, i.e. no sides.

I'm all for everyone being polite and friendly before and after matches. But during them, we play as hard as we can.

• MrLimonkaMrLimonka Member Posts: 533
    edited September 2020

This is the mindset that makes both sides run DS/Unbreakable/BT and Corrupt/Pop/Noed.

And then guess what? Both sides complain about the other, because they DON'T HAVE FUN themselves going against these meta builds.

Imagine how fun would it be to run some gimmicky perks and builds without the fear of losing miserably to the other side, just because you didn't bring the necessary meta perks. But I guess we shouldn't care about others' fun, right?

Good, sorry if I misread that. I'm glad we are on the same page.

• Ryan489xRyan489x Member Posts: 673

this right here is why the game is so toxic. It's not about treating people like kids it's about people getting enjoyment out of something they paid for. Real completion comes from an even playing field where all players have the same ability and some are just better then others. This game is nothing like that. If you enjoy doing the things you mentioned in competitive games, try going and playing a real sport, winning a game and then tea bagging the other team and taking the line maker and painting Losers on the field. See how far that gets you.

edited September 2020

Ummm... no. There are no SIDES, nor does everyone complain. A vocal minority of people insist on complaining. The Fun House Mirror that is a Forum makes it look like the whole community. Most people don't complain or comment, and think doing so is a waste of time. I don't complain about Survivor or Killer Perks, or what they build, or what tactics they use. Why? None of my business. I have enough to do with worrying about myself. IMAGINE how fun it would be to come to this forum and read some posts that aren't full of whining, whinging, endless complaints, and blaming others for one's own failures.

• CorikstarrCorikstarr Member Posts: 22

The point I'll concede is that it's not my job to MAKE SURE my opponent has fun.

It is NOT my job to do things that TAKE AWAY their fun though.

If they are not enjoying the game, but I'm not doing anything to directly feed into that lack of enjoyment, than that's on them. It shouldn't be about me making a game fun for someone else, but my fun shouldn't rely on knowingly doing things that takes away the enjoyment either.

Long story short, my job is to have fun in a fair manner. The rest is up to them.

• Xbob42Xbob42 Member Posts: 1,118

You seem to be under the sorely mistaken assumption that people have a problem with losing. While some folks do take losing poorly, generally this subject is about people intentionally playing in such a way as to annoy or rob other players of fun. Flashlight clicking the entire match while teabagging isn't optimal play, facecamping someone for 4 minutes is not optimal play. Hiding around the map to force the killer to look for you when the gates are open just to waste time before you escape is not optimal play. Tunneling one guy while ignoring everyone else isn't optimal.

None of these are competitive plays, they're petty BS by children. These are the things that attempt to rob people of fun. Some folks are bothered by it, some aren't. But the intent is clear: you are playing only to ruin someone else's time.

You winning a match is not robbing someone of their fun, obviously some win and some lose. That's a completely different subject.