Home Discussions General Discussions

What’s up with gens sound now?

Comments

• CakeDutyCakeDuty Member Posts: 450

The sound is so obnoxious when working 2 or more on the gen.

Also, not that anyone used to perk beforehand, but now Feng Mins perk Technician serves no purpose, cause it doesn't turn down the volume of the motor, so killers can still hear you working on the gen

• XyvieliaXyvielia Member Posts: 1,060

Have to agree that the normal gen sounds were kinda relaxing, even with the added gen sfx during the Blight release, they all synergized well with multiple survivors repairing the same generator simultaneously.

New gen repair sfx seem excessive, imo

• EynoxEynox Member Posts: 41

Wait what the actual heck? FEng's PERK Doesn't help? Omg... and I thought this decision couldn't have been made more blindly. That's just lazy. OOF who is working on the backend of game development :(

• OmegaXIIOmegaXII Member Posts: 1,604

It was extremely quiet before. When you're engaging in a chase near the gen, you can't hear it at all.

I have survivors popping a gen just besides me when i'm chasing other survivors in that area, and i don't even know it's being worked on.

Sure if you play stealth killer, you can hear it. Otherwise, no. So it's actually needed.

But i wouldn't mind if they change it again to suit both sides

• TheMidnightRidrTheMidnightRidr Member Posts: 366

I like them. I think it is good addition.

• Ghouled_MojoGhouled_Mojo Member Posts: 594

I like the new sounds. Love it covers up that killer approach from both sides.

• EquusEquus Member Posts: 153

As a killer it makes patrolling ridiculously easy I can hear from a few meters extra if they are working on a gen or not. It's a huge time saver i'm starting to think this is the bhvr solution for genrushing.🤔

• LethalPugyLethalPugy Member Posts: 345

I thought i was versing a billy when i first heard that. But no, they decided to turn gens into car engines.

• immortalls96immortalls96 Member Posts: 4,213

This is what people are worried about ..? Personally I'm just glad killers got SOME sound indicators back

• favabearfavabear Member Posts: 1

As a new player, all I can say is that this change was critical to me.

I don't know if it's my sound card or my hearing or what but I couldn't hear any generator sounds at all except for the standing whirr of a progressed gen. It's to the point that I've tried to kick a gen that was being worked on the other side.

Reading on the forums and tips that I was supposed to be able to hear these clicky clacks was driving me nuts. With the new sounds I feel like I'm getting the proper cues and it'd really suck for me if they reverted it.

Mind you, I don't want others to suffer if it's really grating on them. But I want to contest the idea that the old sounds were working.

• ImighthaveDSImighthaveDS Member Posts: 18

They def needed to add an extra sound to replace the clinking. The new gens were too quiet with just the sparking. I actually love the new sound and makes a perk like Technician more viable if you feel the absolute need to do gens quietly.

• PyroGLPyroGL Member Posts: 200

Have you ever started a portable generator that requires pulling a rip cord? It makes a noise pretty spot on to what the new gens do.

• Ryan489xRyan489x Member Posts: 463

That's a fair argument too. not being able to hear during a chase is a music issue it's loud for sure.

• RatioRatio Member Posts: 13
    edited September 16

I think it's great killers have a better and more reliable way to audibly keep track of progressing gens while in their vicinity; they just need to tone it down on the survivor's side. I think the particular sound they chose (the revving) sounds silly and out-of-place, but I'm glad there's something more there for killers, at least.

It's just this SFX is so loud and the nature of what this SFX noise is becomes grating on the ears in no time on the survivor side.

I'll mention this one more time: Keep this new SFX volume the level it is on the killer's side (to help killers) and reduce it for the survivor's perspective (so their ears don't bleed).

• RakimSockemRakimSockem Member Posts: 1,228

Vroom vroom. Gotta go fast

• ZCerebrateZCerebrate Member Posts: 641
    edited September 16

Technician just reduces the range the sound is heard by 8 meters for the killer (as a survivor you won't be able to see this effect) as it isn't a straight reduction in noise like Iron Will vs injured moaning.

A majority of complaints isn't even that Killers can hear them working on it or not - it's that it's an ear piercing grating annoying revving noise that the survivor is forced to listen to now that stacks on other survivors doing the same rip-cords. Lawnmower noises wouldn't have even been necessary if they made the clinking noise equally loud - if anything the noise pollution as a headset killer doesn't give me any real advantage as someone who could hear survivors working on gens as it were.

Edit TLDR: Just crank the volume or keep the same sounds for the killer's hearing now if they think it's balanced but tone that racket down for survivors who don't enjoy listening to annoying noises just for doing their objective

• StrickxNyneStrickxNyne Member Posts: 219

I hadn't realized what was going on last night and I asked my friend if his dad ever got their car started 😂 🤣 😂 🤣 😂

• siren_sorceresssiren_sorceress Member Posts: 251

Use your eyes? I mean fine make the gens slightly louder. (even though good killers pay attention anyways.) But making it so loud that there's no effort on your part to know if survs are working a gen while you chase near it is just a braindead buff for killers. When I play killer I constantly look back to see if survivors are back on gens (bc they try to get away with it all the time.) I dont need a baby buff to make it effortless for me. Why would full time killer mains need to be babied?

• daleylifedaleylife Member Posts: 12

Yes, it is louder than it needs to be. But the real issue is the sound just doesn't match the object. It sounds like I'm starting a car. I hope they change it.

• Slendy4321Slendy4321 Member Posts: 286

I hate the new gen sounds. If I wanted to hear a car stutter, I would go ask my parents to start up their old car. It's really annoying

• DBD78DBD78 Member Posts: 1,101

It's horrible. Don't they test this before? I'm using headphones and can't hear the killer coming because this is so loud. You just want to not do gens anymore and that is not good.

• ShenaniganShenanigan Member Posts: 150

It's usually just the devs wanting to try something new. Arua readings were a flop obviously, but I keep seeing everyone complain about something that they probably wanted to try out. Hell in their defense they've been using the same gen sound for 4 years "And they should've just left it it as it is like how it was 4 years ago" . In all honesty after 4 years of hearing or doing the same thing I'd want to try and experiment with something different too. The devs made bad decisions before, but this is just something they probably wanted to experiment with and had high hopes it would have some sort of positive feedback.

Hell I'm starting to think that some employees bet $5 if someone complains about something they recently added.

I'm normally not ALL for the devs and there decisions but seeing the devs wanting to be a little creative only for it to be deemed as unnecessary by the community and playerbase itself, is discouraging to see.

• OmegaXIIOmegaXII Member Posts: 1,604

It's also louder even before the graphical update, so killer can actually hear it. Are you saying that every killer uses this information is baby killer?

Like i said, they can change it again, i don't mind. But telling people to rely on eyes only is not helpful. Sounds are crucial in this game, and provide many informations. The reason why devs haven't fixed all sound bugs is beyond my understanding, but this is what we get now.

• EynoxEynox Member Posts: 41

So YES to making it more apparent to killers when a survivor is working on a gen, NO to this annoying SFX loop. Thx.

• Kind_LemonKind_Lemon Member Posts: 2,359

cough PTB exists cough

I'm all for the devs trying crazy and whack things, but not with the live build D:

I'd love to see tests on place-able totems, radical changes to NOED, Pop, gen speeds, priming pallets, whatever you can think of that might make the game better. I don't want those changes suddenly forced on me in the live game.

That's the reason PTBs exist. That should be their sole purpose: to gather information from the players on what new additions the devs are thinking of including. One of the two times the PTB was used like that was for the self care change that just made all healing actions 25% slower while granting the ability to heal yourself. Everyone disliked it, but it was an awesome change for the PTB!

The reason I'm so negative on the changes the devs make like this is because

A. They aren't using the tools at their disposal for testing things

B. Things from the PTB often aren't changed even if they are buggy because (and the following is a guess after reading reviews on Glassdoor* in addition to what various devs have said combined with the knowledge I have of how companies often work) management forces teams to push out patches on a timeline that's not suited for non-buggy, large-scale updates.

This probably WAS a change that was meant to be included in the PTB but was not included because both the PTB and patch were forced out prematurely.

My annoyance isn't really directed at the developers but at the people who make them put things out that are buggy or unfinished. Bloodlust stayed over from PTB into live for the first few days at least, issues with gens popping on the PTB were only addressed in the hotfix recently, and countless other things from all of the recent PTBs have been included in the following live build even when it's very clear that they are bugged or not all that pleasing to the community.

*https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Behaviour-Interactive-Reviews-E651096.htm

--

Kind_Lemon 

An advocate of place-able totems, a priming-pallet interaction, and the removal of Exposed from tier 1 Devour Hope.

Also supports changes to how many survivors need to be present to start repairs on a generator.

#revertNurseaddons #reverttieroneDevour #reverttieroneBL #nofreechaseresources #placeabletotems #revertBillysounds #workwiththemusicyouhave

• ShenaniganShenanigan Member Posts: 150

Well I do see where you're coming from though and I understand. (Even though you may know this already) we can't forget the PTB for blight and graphic updates for badham and yamaoka and gens, etc was a week behind from the current version. Maybe they did plan out to add the gen sounds in the PTB but they had to give what they could share. But either way I do understand your points nonetheless.

• IamFranIamFran Member Posts: 444
    edited September 18

Oh, poor guys, they're feeling uncomfortable while holding m1 and genrushing now and they don't hear the killer 32 meters away so they cant hide as soon as the heartbeat start. :/

• xMrGrimxxMrGrimx Member Posts: 4

I agree the Gen sounds are way too loud, as a Killer I can hear a gen being worked on from across the Map basically, last night i tried to play a game with my friends and it was horrible the gen sound is so loud you cant hear the heart beat anymore, and we actually joked that the gen sounds like an old car trying to start up, I have that image of someone jumping on a gen and driving it to the exit door running over the killer on the way while crashing through the door. the Devs really need to fix this.

• NekoGamerXNekoGamerX Member Posts: 3,548

I hate that they now sound like were trying start a car not a gen.