Home PTB Feedback Archives 4.3.0 PTB Feedback
We have deployed a fix for an issue that was causing players to lose pips when a match was cancelled.
No update is required, but this may take a few hours to be applied across our servers to all players. Thank you for your patience!

New Technician is super not worth it.

ZCerebrateZCerebrate Member Posts: 641
edited September 2020 in 4.3.0 PTB Feedback

That's what 13% regression looks like in game (3% extra from the perk which is just more than half a pop goes the weasel 25%) - apparently the increased distance for gen noise to be heard is completely negated whenever someone else touches the gen while NOT running technician themselves (Meaning there goes that stealth aspect if anyone coops a gen - and within 8m it's equally loud even through walls as if not having the perk at all). The gen working noises are quieter but the pistons rumbling along are the same super loud volume as always.

Add to all of this if you miss that skillcheck while the killer is "outside" of the 8m technician audio range but still within the 15~20m range they still hear a fairly loud unique "CLUNK" noise that someone is running Technician. It is loud enough that the killer CAN hear it even if it isn't a full out explosion notification... so even it's SOLE repurpose isn't even foolproof in exchange for additional regression. It's literally going into the match planning to fail, training wheels for beginners you guys say? Why is it locked behind a 9000 iris shard survivor or a straight cash purchase rather than it being a basic general perk like Unrelenting?

I mean the concerns were there originally but I still cannot see this perk seeing "any" play from anyone who isn't just meme'ing anyway. In which case I'll rather just run Red Herring and Diversion so I can at least troll the killer and not my teammates...

Post edited by ZCerebrate on

Comments

• Kees_TKees_T Member Posts: 588

I guess that's a fair trade. Information is super important in this game, the ability to miss skillchecks and negate the information for the KIller is a fair exchange value.

• CalamityJaneCalamityJane Member Posts: 487

I don't see a problem. The perk is largely intended to be for new players to cover their ass while they suck at skill checks. I have a friends who's relatively new and has some issues with sound that cause him to miss a lot of checks.

The point is you're already losing that 10%, that's a given, so the difference is a 3% loss in exchange for not having the killer get a global alert of where the new player is. Your comparison is showing it like that massive loss is all because of Technician when that's only true if you're missing a skill check on purpose just for shits and giggles.

As for the generator sounds, I do agree that anyone having Technician on the generator should muffle it for all current repairs, not just their own.

• VolfawottVolfawott Member Posts: 3,780

I mean the reason why it only muffles your own sound is that it's meant to be a lone wolf perk.

Which fits into Min's character

• konchokkonchok Member Posts: 641

Have it so that while on the generator the generator sound distance is reduced regardless of how many people are on the gen and it would be in a good spot.

• Toxicity23Toxicity23 Member Posts: 387

I'll motion for not doing that, actually. Has the potential to be a good lone wolf perk.

I'll petition for instead making the motion of pistons stop when you're working on one on your own, however!

Full-blown lone-wolf!

• ZCerebrateZCerebrate Member Posts: 641

A person with Technician on a gen somewhere completely alone sitting with the know-how to unplug the generator while she works on it before it's fully completely then turning it on... Imagine that perk it would potentially be too OP since it forces killers to get line of sight on certain gens by going further than they would on patrols normally (myself included). A potential way to implement it is give it a long cooldown inbetween each use and have it only last for about 30~40 seconds so solo'ing a gen would still require some noise and a complete absence of noise on a gen that the killer kicked at 50% would tip him off that someone is Ninja'ing the gen.

Surveillance would also win over it etc. etc. In the end who really likes Stealth though - looping is where all the "fun" is at which is why high chase potential killers give so many tears.

• xenotimebongxenotimebong Member Posts: 1,845

They could make it so that it removed the sound notification and also reduced the penalty from -10% to -5% and you’d still almost never see it run. I really don’t understand why they added a downside to such a weak perk.

• SnapshotSnapshot Member Posts: 872

It's a perk for new players that can't hit skillchecks and thus not want to alert the killer. What do you guys not understand?

If you think about the additional penalty, it's like ripping out a part quickly to prevent the explosion, at the obvious cost of additional regression... It's fine

• ClickyClickyClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536

It's never going to be a popular perk so I don't see the harm in making it a little stronger.

I think this perk is too harsh on new players and only holds back veteran players. I had a grey rank Bill working on a gen with me once and he missed 3 skillchecks in a row. He was hindering me by regressing the generator, if for some reason he had this perk he would have set it back even further which is unfair on me.

If this is truly for new players I think instead regressing the gen the missed skillchecks should just slow your repair speed by 50% for 5 seconds or so, or maybe even pause it like Ruin did. The perk wouldn't be crazy overpowered either way and it doesn't hurt other players as much then.

Hell I'd even consider running it to negate the regression penalty of gens magically blowing up everytime I let go.

• ZCerebrateZCerebrate Member Posts: 641
    edited September 2020

Short of completely making a generator silent (including piston noises) even with a long cooldown or a max duration of like 40s AND retaining the condition that you be completely alone to activate it... it just won't see play over any other perk in it's current form. Minor buffs/exchange for downsides like this like purely benefiting only the "missing" skillchecks part of the perk is backwards and no player with more than 100 hours is should ever be "planning" to fail skillchecks going into a match.

1) It's still on Feng Min which isn't even one of the starting survivors for players who might most benefit from that portion of the perk (I'm also of the opinion that "training wheels" perks already corner such a minor necessitiy in the game anyway).

2) This "buff" had the potential to give stealth survivors additional options - something even new survivors may want to give a shot at in playstyle. They err'd so far on the side of caution that it would be "possibly unbearable" for killers to deal with that they gave it no meaningful benefit for other players to use the perk meaning it is a purely new players perk like you said.

Even at the bare minimum of having absolutely no downside to running the perk - keeping it at 10% default regression + 3s of paused time is already punishing enough if you "happen" to fail a skillcheck by mistake, adding an additional 2.4s of regression ontop of the default 8s (realistically 10.4s due to the pause) for every failed check doesn't even incentivize new players to run this perk to compensate for that weakness with skillchecks.

3) Remember this perk's sound benefit is completely invalidated by ANYONE cooping on the generator with you. So while keeping with the lone wolf theme for the sound benefits - the regression hurts you for basically 12.8s every time you are running technician so missing skillchecks is still extremely punishing. If you "CLUNK" a gen 2x that someone else is working on with you... it's definitely not going to make them feel any more relieved you're both stuck there for the progress pause AND regression even when running the perk anyway. It's unnecessarily to stack a downside (not running something else) to an already weak perk that you're encouraging new players ONLY to run is the argument here.

Post edited by ZCerebrate on
  • ClickyClickyClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536

It has the potential to be lowkey underrated. Sometimes I play duo and me and a friend have a back and forth with the killer over a generator. Everytime I let go boom and theres goes 10%. If this happens a few times over the course of a trial that's a lot of lost gen progress.

If it saved me twice that's 16 seconds on those letting-go-of-the-gen non-skillchecks then it's already done me more good than Rush thyself would have in a game.

• xenotimebongxenotimebong Member Posts: 1,845

Perks for new players are great but they should not have downsides. Would a downside make sense on Unrelenting?