Home Feedback Feedback and Suggestions

Rework Spine Chill: detect aura detection

2»

Comments

• jackal470jackal470 Member Posts: 122
  • DreadnightDreadnight Member Posts: 35

I think the only change I would make to spine chill is that it is always active as long as the killer is at 36m and does not depend on the direction it is facing (like Whispers).

This change is not intended to be a nerf, but rather a differentiation with premonition and encourage more constant action speed to survivors within range of the killer

• Tactless_NinjaTactless_Ninja Member Posts: 1,791

But then you're punished for builds that exploit large terror radius. And it wouldn't be an early detection perk anymore, it would be an active always on buff like Resiliance without being injured.

• ZerLukasZerLukas Member Posts: 275

I guess your definition of niche and my definition of garbage are quite close. If a perk is super situational that perk is garbage to me as it is too unreliable to bother using. And I do consider Calm Spirit garbage. Spies from the Shadows isn't meta and hardly any killer pays attention to crows nowadays. And if it's a Doctor I'm not gonna bother to even try stealth against him. I'll either rush gens or loop.

Also why the hell would I need a perk specifically against a Pig with a specific ultra rare. Pig's already rare and using a perk to prepare against her specific addon is in 99% cases a waste of a slot (I actually needed to google the effect of that addon to even remember what that was - that's how often I encounter it) Same with Ghostface and Myers - both are rare so using a perk slot to prepare against them is very often a waste.

The example against Undying is better as it is much more likely to happen but I'm already using Small Game against totems (and NOED in particular) and I'm not gonna spend more than one slot against that.

• DreadnightDreadnight Member Posts: 35

The perk would still detect the killers, it just wouldn't tell you when they're looking at you, it only tells you when it's close (like Whispers).

The action speed buff is not always active. Resilience needs you to be injured, Spine chill needs you to be 36m from the killer.

Terror radius does not affect perk, perk affects 36m killer constantly. And I think that should incentivize the survivor to take certain actions faster while the killer is around. High risk high reward.

Calm Spirt also protects against screams which several killer perks enable.

And there's no shortage of perks that expose your aura as well. Those were just a few examples. Do you really want me to go down the entire list of killer add-ons and perks that expose auras? There's a lot.

Whispers works well for killers because it lets them know to keep searching an area. But it's kept in mind that there's potentially 3 other players in the area with zero indication to that being the case when they finally do find someone. This doesn't even take into account what the other players were doing.

If survivors got their version of whispers, it's immediately skewed in their favor since they only need to worry about 1 player and their objective isn't to find the killer, it's to deal with a static objective.

And 36m isn't high risk. It's simply being in the area. This buff would go vertically through floors as well.

• ArtickArtick Member Posts: 314

Can't wait for killers to complain about Deja Vu next!

Deja Vu isn't getting nerfed till Unrelenting does. So op.

But seriously, how can you miss the point this hard? Unless you're trying to coax me into a snafu.

I actually didn't know that. But the only somewhat dangerous perk that involves screaming is Infectious Fright. And it isn't meta on most killers, at least not on the most popular ones. So It also isn't a perk frequently seen. Perks like Deathbound are even rarer.

And no need to list the number or things that give auras. The fact that there are so many actually is part the problem - you see that a killer sees your aura but there are so many options that could give that aura so you often won't even understand what in particular gave you away. Except for maybe BBQ after someone's hooked but that's so often used that it's expected anyway.

Just tell me honestly would you use the version of Spine Chill that you propose? And if yes, for what purpose and in what builds?

Well the totem thing came to mind. Small game and someone with leader would take out Undying totems quickly. But it's still very general use.

Getting exposed by Mikey or Ghostface, maybe Sprint Burst? They have to be Line of Sight to use their expose so you'd be able to spot them if you're quick. Just move into a position where only certain angles can be seen and it'd eliminate a number of potential areas. If Spine Chill is still lit up then you know they can still see you. It still works in the same sense but only against their power.

If the killer hooked someone across the level and I was on a gen, I'd know they have BBQ. I can either commit, or reposition at that point. Usually people with Kindred let you know if a killer is coming your way. It would also enable Red Herring builds if I know they're coming and want to continue befuzzling them.

If it goes off after every gen, it's either Bitter Murmur or Rancor.

If you're using a healing build, it will pretty much do the same thing against Nurses Calling.

Every killer usually only has one aura reading add-on though. So it's not like you have to do tons of math in your head to figure it out. Only requires familiarity with each killer. Like if Hag's traps are setting it off, then she has Willow Wreath and that after teleporting to a trap she knows exactly where you are.

And it really depends on what buffs activating Spine Chill would give you. If they keep the gen speed then a killer with lots of aura reading abilities will be shooting themselves in the foot. Although if it still gives cleanse speed bonuses and vaulting, then it enables movement actions like running away or quickly hiding.

And Dragons Grip is the most recent scream perk. I'd say that's dangerous without Calm Spirit.

• OrionOrion Member Posts: 17,014

Since I saw you mentioning stalking and aura reading...

Stalking (Shape and Ghostface's mechanics) is different from aura-reading, which is different from killer instinct, which is different from having your location revealed.

• Stalking makes you glow, if a certain percentage of your character model is visible.
    • Aura-reading literally shows your character model in a bright color, even through walls, for some amount of time.
    • Killer instinct "pings" the killer with your location at regular intervals.
    • Having your location revealed will show your character model once, in a default pose.

These mechanics should not all be countered by one perk, since it'd make that perk heavily overpowered.

With that out of the way, your change would make the perk worse by comparison when you have Distortion, a perk that both informs you when you aura is being read and hides it automatically.

edited October 5

Hides it 3 times. Let's not distort the truth. Badum tsh.

But what's the issue with notifying when you're being stalked? Denying Ghostfaces power either involves getting hit by him or exposing his shroud.

And Meyers can stalk mid chase. At that point he's not hiding in bushes. Old Spine Chill works the exact same way requiring him to stare right at you, except it won't go off if they decide to knife you instead.

And killer Instinct is extremly obvious when it goes off too. A Legion stabs someone nearby or you step in a Pyramid Head trench, you know that they know you're there.

The issue is every other action. You shouldn't be punished for looking at your target when trying to find them let alone hit them too.

edited October 5

Just for the record, I am fully on board with a rework to Spine Chill. A perk that [BAD WORD] over all the stealth killers and TR-reducing perks and add-ons should not exist, period. I just wanted to clarify a few things and explain why knowing when your aura is being revealed would be a bad rework.

If it was just notifying you when you're being stalked, I could see that working. However, like Calm Spirit, it should probably have some other effect that doesn't rely on the killer you're going up against.

It doesn't reveal your aura, it tells you you're being revealed. Did I write something wrong?

Ehgh. Well it needs to do something. Not even sure it should get all the action speed bonuses if it did all that either.

It can't reveal the killers aura. Too many perks already do that.

Slight speed boost maybe if it's meant to be a ditch everything and run perk? Although would completely screw over Mirror Meyers.

Including Stalking mechanics would make more sense it more killers had it. But I still feel it's inclusion is reasonable so that people aren't completely in the dark when facing a stealth killer.

Maybe your experience as a survivor is different to mine but in my latest games 8 times out of 10 the killer is Huntress, Spirit, Doc or Bubba and the only aura-based thing they use is BBQ. That's why I consider an aura detect perk a very bad one - it won't even work that often and when it will it's effect doesn't seem that strong.

There just aren't enough Myers's and GF's to pick a perk specifically against them.

Using it against Undying seems more reasonable but I already use Small Game and using two perks purely against totems seems too much to me.

I really would prefer your idea as a buff to Distortion instead of a Spine Chill rework.

• Mat_SellaMat_Sella Member Posts: 1,610

That perk already exists, its called Distortion and it also removes scratchmarks

It also only works 3 times and can be rapidly depleted.

• Kind_LemonKind_Lemon Member Posts: 2,351

That's what Sole Survivor was changed to do a few patches ago.

Then the devs broke it.

But that's what it's supposed to do according to the patch notes. So, this change would be redundant and unnecessary.