Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions
We are currently experiencing a server outage which is preventing players from connecting to the game; we are monitoring the situation and we'll give you a heads up once services are restored!
We have been investigating cases of distributed denial of services (DDoS) over the last week. We take these reports extremely seriously. We're actively monitoring the situation internally and with our partners to gather as much information as possible and identify trends.

We are terribly sorry to those who have been affected by these attacks- we understand the impact this has on you. We are taking every appropriate measure to ensure the safety of our players.

We encourage our players to report to us any cases of DDoS, as well as any other form of inappropriate or abusive behaviour in the game. In the meantime, we encourage you to stay safe and follow best practices for online safety.

What bad habits does doctor teach?

I'm just curious. I've seen a lot of people telling other people not to main doctor because he teaches bad habits from finding survivors or something else. He's the second one I'm interested in besides spirit, so like, what should I look out for?

Comments

• ClocksoClockso Member Posts: 853

idk? the only thing i can think of is that you might rely too much on static blast to find survivors (if you're below 300 hours) in where other killers dont have a very strong track ability like doc does

• Xbob42Xbob42 Member Posts: 1,118

Starting out early with him might develop some bad habits, yeah. He makes it really hard for survivors to stealth, which means you won't learn how to effectively look for people since your power kind of does it for you, and he shuts down loops pretty easily if you know what you're doing, so you won't learn when to mindgame or when to just play a loop straight.

That doesn't mean you'll learn "wrong" or anything, but you have to be aware of these issues when changing killers later so you can adapt with limited frustration. When you're really used to finding survivors easy due to your power, for example, you might be more easily frustrated as you're in more skilled ranks but on a killer who plays differently than you're used to.

• edgarpoopedgarpoop Member Posts: 3,909

You can become overly reliant on his tracking ability starting out. Also, I'd say purple and lower rank survivors generally have absolutely no clue how run a Doctor, so you'll get away with a lot and then probably run into a brick wall at red ranks if you don't have good fundamentals.

That being said, every killer will cause you to develop habits if you "main" them. I've seen very good Nurse players who can't play any other killers because it's a completely different skillset. Same with Hag and Spirit. Your more standard killers will translate a bit. If you're good with Doc, you're probably good with Freddy/Clown/Myers/Ghostface/etc.

• MadLordJackMadLordJack Member Posts: 8,818

Doc has the most info out of any killer in the game, so it's easy to lose your game sense and just rely on Madness. He also promotes hold-W gameplay with his primary ability being able to deny loops.

• gibblywibblywoogibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,774

Using Distressing. Don't do it. It's a trap.

• RaSavage42RaSavage42 Member Posts: 2,546

Relying on obvious visual cues rather then the not so obvious ones

Like Scream Bubbles, Missed skillchecks

Other then Blood trails, fading scratch marks, Crows flying away in the distance, dark clothes, Moving grass and corn stalks

My comment is more nitpicky so you can chose to ignore it... hahaha

• oxygenoxygen Member Posts: 2,545

Only thing I can really think of is having a "press button to find someone to chase" ability. Even more so if you use the Restraint addons for even more tracking.

I used to play a lot of Doc and I still like him a whole lot, and this went for old Doc as well. Just whip out your hand at the start before anyone had madness and you'll quickly find at least one survivor, and this sorta goes for his cooldowned shock nowadays even though passive madness increase is gone. So I'm speaking from experience as what I "warn" about was very much the case for me 😄

• TheClownIsKingTheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278

Many players use the Blast to find survivors rather than learn good hunting/tracking skills.

I personally find this too risky/wasteful due to its massive cooldown. I play against many doctors that get zero pay off from using Blast because they just using whenever they’re not in a chase.

Having played Clown as long as I have and learning how to spot/find survivors, I wait till I spot someone first (or in a chase) so I’m 100% guaranteed at least 1 survivor goes up a madness tier.

The tracking aspect of docs power is secondary. The point of madness is to stall the game, and cause confusion (depending on the add ons).

The other claim is that Doc presumably doesn’t teach players how to loop properly as killer. On the contrary, IMO, it’s by a very thorough understanding of loops, and how survivors run them, that Doc is able to master correct timing for shocks to deny survivors their vaults and pallets. Shocks can’t just be spammed for free lucky hits. Doc experiences too much slow down to ever get close enough to the survivor if they repeatedly spam.

• MoundshroudMoundshroud Member Posts: 4,461

The problem with the Doctor is he doesn't teach you to play anyone but the Doctor. I always advise AGAINST starting with the Doctor so one can build up one's hunting skills first. I don't need to go into it at length as others have already covered literally everything.

• adsads123123123123adsads123123123123 Member Posts: 316

None.

• DecarcassorDecarcassor Member Posts: 649

You could say Doctor does not help learning the universal ways of tracking survivors or handling loops. But you really could say that about any killer with built in tracking or any kind of anti-loop ability. Just like you could say mobile killers don't teach how to pressure gens as normal speed killers.

If you overly play a single killer you are going to get bad habits when playing the others anyway. Doctor isn't special.

• SnakeSound222SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,441

You could become overly reliant on his tracking ability and not use things such as crows, scratch marks, and blood. All three of things can have problems (crow RNG not favoring you, scratch marks vanishing out of nowhere before their timer is up and leaving a gap in between sets of marks, and the map being so dark in some areas that it’s hard to see the blood), so don’t worry if you rely on it in some matches (just not all or most)

• MrDardonMrDardon Member Posts: 2,636

Personally, I'd recommend playing every Killer you currently have in rotation. This way you will learn every Playstyle pretty much, play weaker and stronger Killers and playing weaker Killer will also make you better as a Killer in general. You will lose but I was there as well and I do very well with Killer now. I play consistently on Rank 1 with every Killer. Sometimes I play with random Perks as well if I am that bored.

One thing I should tell you. Keep your Fingers away from Noed. If you use this Perk you will never get better at Killer.

• MasterofSFLMasterofSFL Member Posts: 125

From my experience as a survivor, Doctors overly rely on their Blasts and Shocks to track survivors instead of using them to disrupt survivors. Doing so doesn't teach you how to actually locate survivors or make good guesses based on the map. Inevitably once survivors understand you're just using your Blast to locate, they just start hiding in lockers at the hint of your terror radius and wait for you to blow it.

You'll see the difference between a good Doctor and a bad one once you see a Doctor use his Blast near generators/walls and just walk off after hitting nothing vs checking areas proper and saving Blast for chases/educated guesses to disrupt/stop healing/generator/cleansing.

• Raven014Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188

Legion is the only competitor to doc in terms of pure info gathering, but doc also has anti loop capability. It is his ability to do many different things at once that makes him as strong as he is, when other killers may need more precision, planning, and mechanical skill than Doc does. Not saying he doesn't, but be certainly has less requirements to use them competently...