Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

The frustrations that surround DBD make a lot more sense now

I have a love/hate relationship with Dead by Daylight. There are many things that are fun, while at the same time there are many things that are frustrating. I used to wonder why so many frustrating aspects of the game would seemingly be overlooked, or not given any attention to at all.

That is until I recently saw the interview that Mcote had with the streamer King. In it, he said that the game would never be perfectly balanced because the game is supposed to make you frustrated. 🤨 That explanation now makes a lot more sense as to why so many aspects were never made a priority until recently (matchmaking, moris, keys, perks, etc).

Frustration doesn't make for a good game. If you feel the need to hit something at the end of a match, then the only way that game served it's purpose is if the devs don't care to change anything for the better. If anything it sounds like an excuse to do as little as possible.

I firmly believe that the only reason why we're even seeing changes now is because DBD continues to find a bigger audience. But it's an audience that DBD keeps losing because of said frustrations. DBD is incredibly punishing for new and casual players, and it makes sense for gamers to leave en masse.

Hopefully things do continue to improve for the better. I certainly don't want to play something that frustrates me, especially at the end of what could have been a frustrating day. DBD has a good community of players, and that community deserves better.

Comments

• TheClownIsKingTheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278

I think you may have missed the context of frustration being an intended part of the game.

My guess is that frustration is meant to be one of the parts/feelings of a true horror experience. In all great horror stories, for the main characters and villains things usually don’t go their way or as planned. I think the devs want to have that as part of a gamers playing experience.

Does this make sense?

• SweetTerrorSweetTerror Member Posts: 2,254

There will always be toxic players and every game you play, but in my experience there's far more good players than there are toxic players.

• DzeikorDzeikor Member Posts: 704

lets be honest,the only reason we play dbd is there is no real competition or any game that does better where dbd lacks yet,I dont know why honestly,I guess no one else in interested in making a decent game of this genre to compete againts.

• SonzaishinaiSonzaishinai Member Posts: 5,766

What he meant to say was tension. And he was right the game trives on tension. Last second window vault or a mindgame that allows you to hit the survivor a split second before they drop the pallet is some of the best feeling in this game

It ofcourse turns to frustration when people don't know when to take a breather

It's true, there's nothing else quite like it. We put up with the frustrations because there is value and fun to be had with DBD, but DBD was designed without a quality matchmaking system. Which is why to prevent the game from stagnating after four years, BHVR is heavily focused on the MMR.

DBD continues to grow it's player base, but new players will only stick around if they're having fun. Without a fair and balanced matchmaking system, new players will continue to look elsewhere.

• voorheesgtvoorheesgt Member Posts: 764

Because of the random nature involved in your build... Whether killer or survivor. You cannot prepare for every type of match. You may build for a perfect survivor match against the DR. and end up playing against the trapper. As killer you may set up for gen rush and get a depip flashlight squad.

Frustration is part of it due to your own assumptions pre match. Fixing that turns the game rather bland.

Listen to the WHOLE community??? That is not possible as not many killer and survivors agree on anything. Exactly what are you referring to? What should they do? Be specific.

• DzeikorDzeikor Member Posts: 704

Obviously not all,there are a lot of good changes community suggested,such as Otz recent community patch.

Most would be to the detriment of the other side though... I believe Otz could balance better than most, he's very smart and analytical. However, just coming in on a rant that the game is frustrating is not helpful. Are you killer? Are you survivor? Is it SWF that ruins your fun? Is it camping?

Just saying it's frustrating in general could only refer to rng or builds not matching the trial you face. Believe me, every time I switch rift goals because it'll never line up, the next match meets my prior needs. It is frustrating. But necessary with as many personal choices we get.

edited October 2020

But that's precisely why so many gamers dc. No matter what you bring into the game, it should be enough to help you in the match, but it's not, which is why all the best perks are locked behind a paywall. The devs know this, which is why instead of creating a game that is perfectly balanced, they would rather instead you spend money to obtain the best perks so that you can last longer in the game.

Playing as a survivor with strong perks and a great medkit is hardly effective against a killer with iridescencent add-ons and/or an ebony mori. Likewise it's hard to be a killer against a strong SWF that is using strong information perks like OoO, and strong items like keys that allow more than one survivor to escape.

Veterans of DBD struggle with these kind of things all the time, especially at higher ranks, so imagine what it must be like for newer and casual players.

Post edited by SweetTerror on
  • Tactless_NinjaTactless_Ninja Member Posts: 1,791

It's a pvp game. Did everyone drop Call of Duty for being spawn killed 100+ times in the same match by a helicopter?

Doomsayers keep saying the game is dying, it's losing audience members....unless you listen to my suggestions! Rhetoric.

• MoundshroudMoundshroud Member Posts: 4,460

I'm going to say something simple, but true. The overall community for DbD is great. It is full of good sports, polite adults, and those who simply follow the rules (don't cheat). Many people would be surprised, or argue with me about this but I assure you that this is 100% true. The negativity that one experiences before a match, after a match or here on the Forum are actually a very vocal minority. It had to do with human psychology. We don't remember the average, passive, or simply good. Things which stand out in our memory are bad things and truly great things. In other words, we are conditioned to remember extremes.

In the 80s, this was called the Geraldo Effect, i.e. where shows which focused on the negative (if it bleeds it leads) would warp public perceptions like a fun house mirror. If you take the time to actually track your negative after game chats (for example) I suspect you would find (as I did) that most of them just give you a "GG" or nothing is said at all. Every now and then you get a bit more in the kind words department. Overall, if you track the next one hundred matches you will find there is a largely silent majority of good Players/Community.

In regards to behavior inside the game, as long as it is a legal, valid tactic it is not, by definition, "toxic." You should, in fact, delete that word from your vocabulary. It is meaningless. The utter subjectivity of it makes the word itself destructive to this community. The only behaviors inside the game that matter are:

1. Do not cheat, either with hacks or lag spikes.
    2. Do not disconnect; if you start a game, finish it.
    3. Be humble in victory, and gracious in defeat.

Entirely too much time is spent talking about what is acceptable behavior (for both Killers and Survivors) within the game. It is a waste of time. Do not get sucked into these discussions. You worry about what YOU do in the game. The choices other people make are not good scapegoats for your own failures, nor are they anything you get a say about. Don't let that vocal minority lure you into a false set of morals and morays that actually have no validity. Play hard in the match and be nice outside of it. That is all that is required of anyone.

I agree with what you're saying, but this was never a discussion about bad behavior or toxicity. I'm simply bringing to light why the mechanics of the game are frustrating. The player base is actually a highlight of DBD. Sure there are the occasional bad apples, but every game has those, and they're few and far between.