Home Discussions General Discussions
We have deployed a fix for an issue that was causing players to lose pips when a match was cancelled.
No update is required, but this may take a few hours to be applied across our servers to all players. Thank you for your patience!

What's your view on DS?

Comments

• MusicNerd_TCMusicNerd_TC Member Posts: 3,099
    edited October 2020

It was, we've been told by like 5 different devs like McLean that it was meant for anti-tunnel.

If it was anti-tunnel, it wouldn't activate if you were recently unhooked.

Old DS was anti momentum, not the new one.

Also, even if it was anti momentum, a perk shouldn't just throw your pressure out the window for no reason, remember old DS and MoM?

• UMCorianUMCorian Member Posts: 415

Pretty sure Survivors were running those perks well before Blight.

• edgarpoopedgarpoop Member Posts: 2,834

Punishes killers for playing well when all 4 survivors have it. Way too forgiving at 60 seconds. I shouldn't be able to do 30% of a gen, pop Adrenaline, open a gate, get grabbed off the gate, and hit the killer with DS

• SnakeSound222SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 3,943
    edited October 2020

Outsmart my opponent abusing an overpowered mechanic? Ok then, please give me a good explanation as to how I can do that.

No, leaving the Survivor or taking the stun are not (and never should be) valid reasons. I am not tunneling and should not be hit with the stun. The Survivor is making a bad play and should never be rewarded, especially in the way they are today. I know this might sound painful, but you don’t have to use DS every game. You won’t die from not seeing the stun.

• ZeusZeus Member Posts: 1,687

Really?

'We decided to put a timer on Decisive Strike as one of the solutions to Decisive Strike being used too often, we tried 2 minutes internally and found that players were able to use DS a long time after being unhooked, where it no longer serves the purpose to protect you from being tunneled/ farmed'

Source: Q&A session regarding DS rework.

• theArashitheArashi Member Posts: 993

I've been around since it was released in it's original form.

Game changed greatly since then.

Ability to stop the pressure of the killer, especially with other perks that can be used with it gives killer no options.

All that matters only against survivors that are good at the game. You don't need to care about perks if survivors take 5 minutes to finish single gen or all group up a lot.

• theArashitheArashi Member Posts: 993

The problem is killer has no idea which perks survivors have.

So even if nobody run them, you have to play to dodge: DS, Unbreakable, Soul Guard, BT, (rarely that self unhook perk), DH

Maybe ds by itself wouldn't be that big of an issue but killer has to guess which perks are in play.

• ILoveDemoILoveDemo Member Posts: 681

Ds needs tbh no Nerf, but shuold activate everytime you get unhooked.

• supersonic853supersonic853 Member Posts: 2,556

Doesnt punish actual tunnelers as they will get dsd and still chase you to death. Gives a minute of invulnerability if you jump into a locker (then use inner Strength to get full health) or on the ground with unbreakable. Its synergy potential is insane and the amount of times survivors wave it in my face like they can do whatever they want is dumb. If ya want to punish actual tunnelers then sure go to town make it last a infinite duration in chase or something but make it go down quicker when you do a gen. Your not being tunneled on a gen.

• gibblywibblywoogibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 2,415
    edited October 2020

I'm fine with it existing. I dislike being hit by a DS when I didn't tunnle. Example of a few days ago. Got a hook and a Kate runs in at full health and tries to unhook in my face. I down her (Billy) and pick her up.

Get DS'd and she gets a borrowed time unhook even though I don't even remember when I last hooked this kate and they both run free.

I have a rule where I never hook twice in a row, I'll slug if the opportunity presents itself. If I get unjustly hit by a DS. I WILL tunnel you to death.

• ILoveDemoILoveDemo Member Posts: 681

How about no? We could Nerf Myc If you want, it is also a 60 sec. perk :)

edited October 2020

Do you realize how much time you waste doing that? It’s such a bad strategy. There is no way to truly counter DS without getting screwed over in some way if the Survivors use a locker. I’ve known how to counter DS otherwise. Unless, you’re one of those Survivors who thinks that tunneling is chasing the same Survivor again, no matter what they do.

Post edited by SnakeSound222 on
  • Johnny_XManJohnny_XMan Member Posts: 3,272
    edited October 2020

@Yamaoka

I agree with you.

I also think DS is fine right now. Camping and Tunneling don’t have any downsides unless countered by perks, so I don’t understand all these people that want to nitpick everything about DS and ‘deactivate’ it by touching a gen or healing when they know damn well a good killer will just play around it.

Maybe we should just have them play as survivor without DS or BT against a camping and tunneling killer and see how well it goes for them.

The game is too flawed because of built-in mechanics to further nerf current DS.

Post edited by Johnny_XMan on
  • DragonMasterDarrenDragonMasterDarren Member Posts: 943

It really needs a change, a full minute of immunity is ridiculous given how short matches can be, stacking unbreakable and other second chances on top of that on top of that is flat out ridiculous

I don’t believe you. Standing in one place like that for 60 seconds and the Survivors haven’t torn through the gens? Either you’re at a low rank or your Survivors SUCK.

• 0mikeya00mikeya0 Member Posts: 185

A dev on these forums, I don't remember who, said it was never meant to be an anti-tunnel perk, that is just what the community came up with.

• TransverseCasterTransverseCaster Member Posts: 380

Decisive Strike is fine if it were guaranteed to only be one per match. It's those matches where you've eaten two and you think the players might be fenagling you into eating one ore even two more that makes it unbearable, especially when stacked with Borrowed Time, Unbreakable paired, or there is an Object of Obsession running around. It acts as a demoralization tool.

• RaSavage42RaSavage42 Member Posts: 1,954

The one thing I want on my survivor but haven't got right now

I know why it's used a lot (another reason I want to get it)

But extremely hard to change at this point ( In My Opinion)

By itself it's way better then before but combining it with other perks makes it a nightmare (not Freddie like yet but close)

Since you said you quoted the wrong post, I assumed you were replying to my earlier post (the one at 10 AM EST). In that post, I was replying to someone telling me to stay in one place for 60 seconds. So when you said that those strategies work for you, I immediately assumed that you were talking about the standing in place strategy.

Unless you weren’t even replying to me and I’ve got this all wrong?

• Alphasoul05Alphasoul05 Member Posts: 179
    edited October 2020

DS is a perk that does its job well against bad killers who specifically go out of their way to tunnel people.

DS is also a perk that punishes good killers for being good, because you end chases quickly.

It also rewards good survivors for playing greedy and taking full advantage of the fact they have 60 seconds of immunity. Don't have to heal. Don't have to be afraid. Can just sit on a gen without a care instead of doing the things they should be doing after being unhooked. If you are injured and just got unhooked, you should not be so unafraid of the killer that you just sit on a generator.

The biggest issue is that it seems like it's 2 minutes long by virtue of how long a survivor is both on the hook and the fact that if you unhook the survivor really late in their state, the killer could have ended another chase in that time, then found the injured survivor after being unhooked, or sitting on a gen and being surprised they still have it.

I think Exhaustion perks are more busted than DS, though, because like DS they, too, reward greed and bad play.

• landromatlandromat Member Posts: 337

Locker ds is the most scummy thing you can do in dbd

• DarKaronDarKaron Member Posts: 363

Alright, as a Killer Main, my opinion is fairly biased, however, hear me out:

In my experience DS has upsides and downsides. In 99% of cases, you see that little Obsession jingle play and you know you're in for a match of pain and torture, especially when you don't even realize that the Survivor you plucked off the ground just now has a knife tucked in her shoe primed to stab you in the gut.

However, I've found a bizarre stroke of luck lately, where my matches have been going rather well, even moreso when DS goes off.

My perk combo of Dying Light and STBFL(Not that this is the topic for perk builds) has the effect of giving the random schmuck who gets the Obsession card relative immunity from my wrath, while everyone else suffers until... WHAM! I get stabbed in the butt and now the former Obsession begins to panic as the new Obsession is let off scot-free, giving me ample pressure on a former player who could afford to get up close and personal, and continuing to build my stacks all around, and even in a renewed sense, as a new Obsession gives me upwards of two hook tokens to slow generators even more.

• 0mikeya00mikeya0 Member Posts: 185

I said I don't remember who said it so therefore no source. It wasn't my post and I have no idea if I commented on it. Idc that much to check either. Regardless it was said and thats why I said what I said. I rarely ever even use DS. No reason to lie and if you don't believe me, oh well, it is what it is. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Idk why devs would say two different things

• thepyramidheadthepyramidhead Member Posts: 59
    edited October 2020

Ew decisive strike op please nerf WAAAAAAAAAH

Me no like it when survivors use decisive strike

• Rex3Rex3 Member Posts: 87

I understand the perk and why it exists but there should be actions that deactivate it. If you get off hook and have time to heal up or you think you are safe enough to work a generator it should deactivate.

• seki23seki23 Member Posts: 833
    edited October 2020

in my opinion ds olny gets stupidly strong when you pair it with unbrekable and i dont think they will change that by any mean so i would change some stuff like not being able to do gens with it ( i mean you can, but you lose ds, since you can do gens you are not getting tunneled), locker ds should go aswell. but the 60 secodns timer is pretty much fine...

• AfiusAfius Member Posts: 187

If it is an anti tunneling perk why is the duration 60seconds seems a bit excessive I mainly play survivor and don't have the Halloween dlc so I'm not too familiar with it's workings. When I do play killers the one time DS pisses me off is when they use it when the exit gates are open.

• batax90batax90 Member Posts: 879

I see DS as a 2 minute immunity its a minute after each hook and the perk need a heavy nerf when you start missing the first time they introduce DS its a problem