Home Rank update error and Disconnection Penalty

Quick guide on how to setup your internet connection properly.

This is a summary of things needed to be done on your side if you're somewhat competitive on video games. This will work not only with DbD but with any other game.

1- Put your gaming machine(s) on a lan cable. Wireless is terrible for gaming.

2- Set a static ip on your gaming machine. Here's an example on how to do it on pc, there are other guides on youtube for playstation or xbox. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iRp1Nug0PU

3- Put that static ip on DMZ mode, meaning no firewall will be blocking/sniffing/delaying the packages for that ip address. Every router user interface will be different. So grab your router manual and learn it from there. Here's an example on how it might look like: https://youtu.be/dTvh1FnboU4?t=84

4- Turn off any firewall on your computer while your gaming (alter solution below).

Done. Just to make sure everything its ok, lets run a package loss test. On windows 10 magnifying glass icon type cmd or command prompt. This will open a new windows. Then type: ping www.google.com -n 25

If it shows 0% you're good to go.

Extra notes:

If you don't want to DMZ your router or turn off your computer firewall when you're gaming then you need to configure udp/tcp protocols for DbD and every single game that you are playing. Same thing on your computer firewall. The protocols for DbD can be found here: https://portforward.com/dead-by-daylight/

Please notice that some internet providers will have really [BAD WORD] routers. For example where i live (Portugal), the modem/router will only give me the option to put the firewall to "minimum security". It will give me green light on port forwarding but when i test its still blocked. I don't like magic and i'm a control freak. In that case your only option is to put that [BAD WORD] router on Bridge mode.

If you have any question feel free.

Comments

• AvilgusAvilgus Member Posts: 480
    edited June 30

Your guide solved all my internet problems, and even on DBD ! Before I had to refresh every 5 min...

Thank you so much, and for the love of God devs, pin this topic !

• SecundusSecundus Member Posts: 52

Hey @KillScreen , could you please add me on Discord so that I can personally reach you out about this issue? My Discord is Secundus#0616 Thanks!

• TytoAlbaTytoAlba Member Posts: 4
    edited August 6

Hey there. Thanks for this guide. Really good info. I've looked into all of it, and have some questions:

1. both me and my wife play together, so i can't use the DMZ method (although it works great, i tested it) as I want a fix for both of us.
    2. I set up a static ip, and forwarded the ports using the tcp and udp codes from the portforward.com website. But it doesn't fix the problem for either computer. I simply copy/pasted the tcp and udp codes from the steam portion of the portforward.com guide. Did I do it wrong? If so, how do I test if my ports are actually forwarded?

Really would appreciate any help or insight you could give. Been beating my head against a wall to get these errors on DBD fixed

Edit: I have a D-Link router (DIR-882), and I bought it myself. Didn't get it from our provider. I am willing to buy a better router, if that's the issue

• KillScreenKillScreen Member Posts: 145
    edited August 6

1 - Perfect. That means that the problem its on your router side. Configuring the udp/tcp ports should fix that, no need to spend money as it is a good router by itself. Just need a bit of configuration.

2- You're gonna create 2 rules like it shows on that picture. Lets imagine that you're 192.168.0.110 and she's on 192.168.0.120

first one

Name: Wife computer DbD

Local ip: 192.168.0.120

TCP Port: 27015-27030,27036-27037

UDP: 4380,27000-27031,27036

second rule

Name: King of the house computer DbD

Local ip: 192.168.0.110

TCP Port: 27015-27030,27036-27037

UDP: 4380,27000-27031,27036

When it shows "27015-27030" it means its a port range. Meaning from 27015 till 27030. Leave the "-" as it is, "," means next rule. Copy paste those values as presented. Turn off any firewall on your computer and give it a go.

To test it, run the game and open command prompt.

And type netstat -a

As you can see, my computer its communicating on TCP port 27020. (range 27015-27030, 27020 its included).

But that should be it. If you still have trouble send me a PM with your discord. Cheers.

I followed those steps. When I run the cmd command with the game running, I don't see any ports being used that match the ones specified in the rules I set up (like you showed with your picture). Do you think mine could be running through different ports than those specified? Should I widen the range perhaps?

I tested it, and the problem remains. I really think this is the answer though. I just have to work with it until it works for my machine

Hmm... try these values please

UDP: 27000-27100, 3478, 4379, 4380

TCP: 27015-27030, 27036

in: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8571-GLVN-8711

Those are steam ones but it dosen't hurt. Give it a go please, cause i see my DbD using the TCP 27015. Give it a go, it dosen't hurt.

But you are right. I tested the udp/tcp ports and those values that i told you before are wrong. The only right port was TCP: 27015. Everything other udp value that i mention before its not being used by DbD anymore. Maybe opening a ticket or a topic on "ask the community" might work. Usually mods take atention to that side of the forum, they might help you.

Let me show you what i got on my side:

I run 3 different tests and they give me different values (aside from the TCP 27015, wish its a port that steam uses for game traffic, and it was being used not by steam but by DbD on my tests.

• TopetiksTopetiks Member Posts: 4

Didn't work for me :(

• RiquanRiquan Member Posts: 38

When thousands of players are playing DBD without doing any of these stuff, who should I do it? I payed for this game. Just fix your damn servers.

Because not everybody has the same modems/routers. But all routers/modems can be configured.

• TopetiksTopetiks Member Posts: 4

Well, I tried the DMZ and firewall option. Didn't work at all.

What router are you using? Send me a pm with your configurations. What firewall does your computer use?

• AgeUkeAgeUke Member Posts: 23

i dont really know what im doing, so look at this pic. What i have to fill in this?

So a big thank you to KillScreen, for all your help. After trying things, I bought a new router and all my sync errors went away. My research suggested it had to do with how my router does NAT work. Depending on how your ISP has your setup, a new router may work for others. However, setting up proper port forwards, ought to work as well.

• MaybeShesCrazyMaybeShesCrazy Member Posts: 297
    edited October 15

The other issue can be double natting.

One example of this is If you are on a DSL connection in particular and the modem is set for PPPoE and the Router DHCP you'll end up double natting which is bad for gaming. Have the modem set for bridged mode and let the router take PPPoE.

Double natting  (sometimes it's called double routing) can cause gaming issues as well as VOIP issues and sometimes sites with SSL.

You may need to contact your ISP if this is your set-up.