Home Dead by Daylight Forums Technical Issues
Reminder for Forum Users, please do not share codes here. This is something that is expressly against the rules of this forum.

Starting DBD causes PC to reboot

wisdomwielderwisdomwielder Member Posts: 327
edited October 2020 in Technical Issues

OS Windows 10.0.19041 Build 19041

CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz, 3101 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

RAM 12 GB

GPU PNY NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Blower

C:\ Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB

MB EVGA Z68 FTW Motherboard 

PSU   Thermaltake - TR2 600W ATX Power Supply

(( I have already thoroughly investigated and troubleshooted this issue so this post is more for documentation and posterity than anything else, but it seems to be a common issue for some reason, so I think the devs should take a serious look at this since this is the ONLY game that causes this. Not even stress tests trigger this kind of failure. ))

After the intro movie and the game logo pops up on screen (before I even get a chance to press the spacebar), my PC completely shuts off and reboots itself.

This issue started happening about a month ago, but stopped after a reinstall of the game and resetting some things. I had some custom graphical settings that had most options set low or 0 but boosted the resolution of the game above my native 1920*1080 (around 120%). I found that by reducing this back to the default 100% (which is actually 67% percent BTW) in-game prevented the power failure. Now, however, it is happening again. After some more trouble-shooting I discovered that setting the resolution very low in the game files then starting it up again also prevented the reboot, but here's the kicker; I can go to the settings in-game and turn it back up to 100% ( 67% BTW) and play normally... okay. Just can't boot the game with that setting or it will cause a power failure 🙃

I have had this PC for several years now. The GPU is only a year old. The PSU however, was bought refurbished and is probably at least 5 years old. The 12V rail is reading around 11.7 with some mild fluctuations. I have decided that my PSU is probably to blame because it is apparently not the best and is the oldest part of my PC, so I plan on replacing that. In the mean time I'll use my work-around.

Something really damn fishy is happening on the main menu of this game that taxes PCs more than any other thing you could possibly run. I tested Friday the 13th (another UE4 game just to make sure), Alien isolation, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, even the Superposition Benchmark test at maximum settings that maxed out my GPU, and nothing else I tried caused a power failure like DBD consistently does. And I'm not the only one apparently. What the hell is this game doing to my PC, like damn haha.

Edit: Found another instance in DBD that caused a crash. The card flip scene when loading into a match but only as survivor. Workaround is once again lowering resolution.

Post edited by wisdomwielder on

Comments