Home Discussions General Discussions
Due to an issue with Hit Validation affecting interactions with Oni players, we are temporarily disabling the feature until the next hotfix.

Why is the swf option a forced thing?

Answers

• no_way55no_way55 Member Posts: 33

Call me naive i am more then alright with that. But it should be an option. You may play casual matchs but because you want casual mean others have to endure or be forced to deal with toxic swfs? Or solo survivors have to survive against a killer and fellow teammates? That's not really balanced then is it?

• xenotimebongxenotimebong Member Posts: 1,660

Everyone has to endure toxic and sweaty matches in this game. Do you think anyone enjoys playing against moris, or Insidious campers, or Stridor Spirits? Should there be an opt out for all of those as well? Let’s just show everyone their opponent’s load outs pre-game too, that way I can dodge iri head Huntresses and rusty shackle Hags and Objects and DS/UB gamers and Freddys with slowdown builds.

Game mode vs game perks or offerings are not the same thing. Your a swf keeper got it. I am not. My vote is for options in game mode. I personally think dbd would gain more new players if this was an option. No killers would not rein supreme. I do think toxicity would go down a lot. Killers and solo players would see more balance. I truly think the game would garner a bigger player base.

• HEX_MalusGreyHEX_MalusGrey Member Posts: 231

Agreed.

Mori's and many addons are desperate for changes. So is the MM system and SWF mechanic. But as long as devs don't start working on thing's but continue to sell costumes instead we will see another 100 threads with thousands of arguments about this stuff.

• xenotimebongxenotimebong Member Posts: 1,660

I play almost entirely solo survivor and low tier killers these days and I have no problem with SWF existing, it’s just the abusable stuff (like Object) I have an issue with.

It doesn’t really matter either way, the devs will never add a SWF opt out option in a million years so this entire discussion is sort of pointless.

You never know unless you try. Plus if they ever want to attract and retain new players some changes to the swf mode will have to change in some way to compete and gain a bigger following. Not remove just more options.

• kcwolf1975kcwolf1975 Member Posts: 616

To help the new players they should implement a practice mode with bots. The tutorials don't really help that much.

Having an option to turn off swf would hurt the game much more than it would help.

• orangegoblinorangegoblin Member Posts: 91

Currently it already is a better verson of Devour, way better in fact. With it being reworked to be similar, the killer will still have to work for it. Devour games go 2 ways, it works or it doesn't.

I do agree that a new tutorial needs to be updated. But a swf opt out would Hurt the game. How? Faster solo lobbies. New player retention is almost a given. Swfs might have a bit of a wait. I still believe it would benefit the overall game more then hinder.

• kcwolf1975kcwolf1975 Member Posts: 616

Solo lobbies would also be longer. You can't remove a portion of the survivor pool and then expect lobbies to fill faster.

And then that SWF lobby wait would be an eternity.

If the player base was much much bigger, then a SWF option could work. Unfortunately DBD doesn't have that.

If the survivor was bigger is a possibility. Everytime dbd drops new known killers. But they(new players) only stay so long. Devs need to figure that why new players bounce. But i think you and i know why. Too much toxicity optioning out swfs would bring those numbers down drastically. Not getting rid of swfs but giving the masses options.

*Survivor pool was bigger. * it would be a possibility.

• ALostPuppyALostPuppy Member Posts: 2,076

Based on the killer mains I've seen on here....hahahahaha there's no way any of them would ever queue for SWF if they had the option to. Some things just don't need an option, and a SWF queue option would absolutely kill the game. I'm sorry if you think otherwise but there's absolutely no way there'll be enough killers to play against swf groups, and the game would lose about half of its players. The rest will be queueing forever in killer queues because nobody likes playing solo survivor.

• HoodiedHoodied Member Posts: 10,548

Okay buddy

For starters not all of SWF gameplay is toxic, infact most SWF teams I see that are playing to win (Pretty sure thats what you mean by toxic, most people think of it that way) I usually never encounter in almost my 3 whole years of owning this game.

Along with this, not everyone is an SWF team, I have seen some coordinated solo queue teams recently, and when I do SWF in dbd when I play it I usually Duo or Trio and use stupid perk builds

TL;DR Majority is dead wrong, not that many people are 4 man SWAT team never lose DS,UB, AD, DH gamers

I disagree whole heartedly that the game would lose HALF its players. Why would killers prefer to opt out of swf? What possibly could chase killers to solo queues? The reasons to keep swfs as a forced option are bad examples. Omg killers would overpower us. Nooo the game would fold and die off. Only swfs can save us. They bring money but the new players who don't have to be forced to play against swfs bring money in too. I hope they make it an option to play with or against swfs. I truly thibk it would bring a bigger audience.

Not a buddy. But we disagree. 👍I think it would open the game up.

Actually it would do the opposite, as all killers would disable SWF to prevent facing SWF teams and only face solo teams, resulting in EXTREMELY HIGH queue times for people who want to play a game with friends, resulting in them leaving the game or attempting to queue together in solos

This would chop the player count down massively and possibly result in the death of the game, hence why game companies never want to restrict you from playing with friends

• dugmandugman Member Posts: 1,285

That’s a strawman, the devs never said swf players don’t have an advantage. In fact they’ve explicitly said they recognize the balance challenges involved with swf.

I don’t remember them talking specifically about an opt out option to not play against swf but my guess is they don’t want to split the playerbase if they can avoid it.

• ALostPuppyALostPuppy Member Posts: 2,076
    edited October 19

Pretty sure there were stats somewhere that showed at least half the people who play this game play with their friends.

"Why would killers opt out of SWF?" Idk because playing against 4 solo survivors with no Comms is almost always going to be an easier match than a SWF team with comms? So why wouldn't they choose, and I'll say it again, the path of least resistance especially if that path has literally no downsides for them?

I never said killers would be overpowering. And you haven't given good reasons for the option to exist either. How would effectively saying "hey you can't play this multiplayer game with your friends because your queue times will be an hour long" bring MORE people into the game?!

Look I'm really sorry but I just don't see where you're coming from with this.

• SoylentPixieSoylentPixie Member Posts: 945

If SWF was an option that killers would totally take over solo games, then you wouldn't need to separate SWF in the first place. Your whole argument is that killers should be given the choice to play against SWF or not, implying that SWF is harder or not an enjoyable game mode. Otherwise why would such a 'choice' be needed.

To quote your initial post : (and no i don't agree with you falsely generalizing an entire section of the game )

"Majority of SWF is toxic"

"The game loses new players all the time because of the abuse feed to new players by swfs"

If this were to be true, and you separated SWF ques, VERY FEW killers would opt into it.

Your other argument seems to be it will bring new players to the game. Perhaps it would, but how many of them join the game because they think it will be a cool game to play with their friends?

I don't deny there is toxicity due to SWF, i don't deny that some SWF groups might be unfun or frustrating to play against. The same can be said about a lot of this game because everybody has their own beef somewhere along the line. Separating SWF ques might increase the player base, but only very briefly once players realize that if they want to play this game socially they have to sit in a que that will be excruciatingly long. Because as you stated "Majority of SWF is toxic" and whether this is true or simply a perpetuated myth based on the actions of the few rather than the many, the statement gets thrown around enough that nobody would touch such a mode.

Social gameplay is a big thing in this day and age, you cannot deny that. Most of us have a group we play with, or perhaps family at home or some other form of gaming social circle. And while yes, DBD does have a decent solo player base, any game that can be considered multiplayer will also have a huge 'group' player base. It's why even single player games hammer in terrible multiplayer modes because word of mouth and 'group gaming' culture continues to grow and make them money.

I don't have a horse in the race one way or another, but your idealist notion that splitting the player base will improve player count and the game overall, is either willful ignorance or not thoroughly thought through beyond the result you hope for.

Fair. You see swfs as an option. I don't agree. 👍I have given reasons you refuse to acknowledge. But the killers face may change even perk addons. But if the game play doesn't evolve then the game grows stagnant. Map changes are nice and all but its not growth.

• DeadeyeDeadeye Member Posts: 2,857
    edited October 19

I can't agree that most SWF is toxic. I face a lot of confirmed SWF that plays the game normally and I don't have any toxics in my friendlist

EDIT: Unless the pure existence of a key or a toolbox above yellow is already regarded as toxic (which is BS in my opinion, if someone says so, you just purposely ruin your own gaming experience)

• gibblywibblywoogibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 1,875

It's pretty rare to go against a 4 man swf especially one that makes the game near unplayable. I'd opt in just for extra BP or Devotion XP. Only about 5% of red rank SWFs are good enough to outright deny the killer kills.

• sulaimansulaiman Member Posts: 1,160

The point of opting out is to balance solo and SWF differently, and thus both options would provide a fair game? Then it would actually be no different for the killer. Either you play a weaker killer vs. solo players, or a buffed killer vs swf.

Why do you think people would only choose solo?

Naive, willfully ignorant, not wanted on forums. Because i believe this game should options. This is my last post on this tread. Insulting someone for have a different view then your own is the behaviour i am trying to tone down in this game. Wishing you all a good week.

Like prior mentioned, SWF queue times would be pretty long if opting out of SWF was a thing as then almost all killers would want to face solo queue players as they are missing the critical things that only SWF can have, making matches so much easier for them

Also what is stopping players from playing a buffed killer VS solo players?

• JPLongstreetJPLongstreet Member Posts: 754
    edited October 19

Based on their past changes, I have to believe any changes the devs even consider must not split the playerbase, increase queue times, or punish anyone.

Prolly best our suggestions are framed with these in mind.

• SoylentPixieSoylentPixie Member Posts: 945

Actually no. Nowhere on my post implies you arent wanted on the forums because you believe in options.

All i have done is use your own arguments to prove that your particular solution to this problem is flawed. If you want to make a difference, take your idea back to the drawing board and try again, and no im not being sarcastic. I'm all for change in the game, and calling you naive because you seem to be willfilly ignoring that group play is a large part of the game and the game itself would be negatively affected by a player base split, is not insulting you or telling you to get off the forums. It's asking you to recognize that you might have to rethink your position.

If you want to pretend the mildest of perceived flaws in your theory and character as so offensive as to chase you away that's fine. Personally, while i don't agree with you, i have seen you hold your own throughout this whole thread and don't believe for a second you are quite that thin skinned.