Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions
Attention Steam and EGS players: a quick hotfix will be going live today at 11AM ET to address file validation reliability. Thank you for your understanding!

An honest and baffled question to people hating Deathslinger

Comments

• HoodiedHoodied Member Posts: 12,600

I am the complete opposite lol

I can consistently hit people with Huntress's hatchets, then you have me being unable to control the AK-12's recoil and missing every shot lol

• azameazame Member Posts: 2,870

Dude that's what I'm saying I used to make a ######### ton a few months ago asking for counterplay and hes doing the same thing except hes on the slinger side.

Karu he has ignored every single one of your comments making valid points. I day leave him be. If it isnt to say how survivors are cant adapt or cant change their playstyle he isnt having it.

• MeltingPenguinsMeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,435
    edited October 2020
  • just_temejust_teme Member Posts: 190

He is still weak killer and needs a buff to map control but that doesent mean his downing potential isnt good. His problem is his insane downing potential being his only thing going for him. It is very very bs to play against but if you actually nerf it to fair level in his current state he is going to start being outshined by clown by alot.

Ofc in the ptb its fun when you play against new players and you can destroy them while playing with one hand. Now that the community has had time to play with an against him for more peoples opinions naturally evolve.

Give him extra power preferably map control so they can make his gun being fun to play against.

• Leachy_JrLeachy_Jr Member Posts: 1,704
    edited October 2020

As a little FYI, there is actually not that many people who hate deathslinger, it's just that small minority is very vocal and "wElL mR bIG sTrImMeR sAiD iT sO iT mUst bE tRuE!!!11!!" is used a lot. Plus all of casual streamers just follow the bandwagon because if a killer isn't billy or demo, they're immediately deemed "unfun".

The influx of deathslinger threads we had a while ago were pretty much all made by one person with a few exceptions. Not saying that there wasn't any hate, but there was far too much for how many people "hate" him.

A good example is looking on threads that ask "Which killer would you want deleted/reworked?" or "Which killer is most unfun to you?". Most of the responses are a mixture of Hag, Ghostface and Legion. There are a few people saying deathslinger, but nowhere near the amount that most people say there should be, people expect him to be universally hated, which isn't true. They're just kinda stuck in this hole where if anyone else thinks otherwise that deathslinger isn't fun, then they're wrong, and opinions don't matter. Of course this isn't everyone that hates slinger, some can accept opinions, but some people can't.

Obviously, I cant take the entire playerbase off of the forums, but judging by the fact that a good majority of people on the forums are actually decent at the game, I can make a pretty accurate guess that deathslinger isn't hated near as much as you might think he is.

Back to the actual topic, yea I agree with what you said. I don't think he needs tweaks tho, he's fine where he is now.

• ShrekTheThird69ShrekTheThird69 Member Posts: 327

It baffles me how extreme these interpretations of countering his power are. you don't need to zig zag so much that it slows you down, a small wiggle while you're running is enough to encourage a miss and yes i say encourage because with enough skill he can hit you anyways that's just how fps games are.

• EvilJoshyEvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,115

Survivors don't like a killer they can't bully. If pallet looping doesn't buy you enough time for your team to finish 3 gens by the first hook they say the killer is "OP" and needs to be nerfed. They don't like a killer who forces them to mix things up. Common example is Nurse.

correcting you on that I'm not a 'he' and the rest is vitriol

• notstarboardnotstarboard Member Posts: 3,696

Counterplay shouldn't be limited to "hope the killer doesn't have FPS experience" or "hope the killer's aim twists" or "hope the hitboxes suck". Survivors should be able to play well to extend chases.

edited October 2020

Not even close. Myers can be looped easily. Deathslinger can only be looped on very specific tiles, and you're taking a hit regardless if you can't pre-drop the pallet.

"Use Spine Chill" isn't a fair counter either. It's not realistic to run a perk just in case you run into a Deathslinger. Perks should help, but they shouldn't be needed to counter killers.

• EninyaEninya Member Posts: 1,257

It'd be nice if he could get a terror radius. One that is both audible when it functions, and at a radius that is actually relevant. Otherwise, he's basically ranged EW1 Myers right now.

What about those survivors that hate chases? Because whenever your argument is brought up, there's this undertone of 'everyone who isn't drawing the biggest fun out of chases is playing wrong'.

I'm confused... is your point that we should have killers that don't have counterplay because some survivors might not like chases?

No. To clarify:

A lot of people declare Deathslinger to be the worst killer ingame (to the point of calling for his removal) on the grounds that you cannot engage him in chases.

Which, according to said people makes him broken, unfun, uncounterable.

And yes, a lot of people have brought up that the main counter to him is to play different. Stealthily.

Which is often met with the statement that only chases are fun (their claim).

And this is the question that I am asking here: Why are people so insistent of playing the always same way, to the point where them doing their, well, routine, becomes counterproductive (the waiting in the gate for example)?

Related: There has been a threads calling for massive nerfs because an attack at the gate threshold ended in a different animation (the backflip) allowing the killer to pick up the survivor who was certain the attack would get them over the threshold to safety.

There have been threads about removing various killer perks (bloodhound for example, iirc) because the make chases unfun (on that note, I'm all for barring Deathslinger from M&A)

As, yes, others have pointed out, a lot of threads concerning nerfs boil down to some people demanding that there is just one way of playing a match, and that it must be favourable to survivors. And I'd like to understand how someone can be like that.

People aren't insistent on playing against him in the same way. There is literally no effective way to play against him. You can't effectively stealth a killer with a microscopic terror radius (24m base, M&A is rampant, and his TR spins up slowly). "Just run Spine Chill" is not an answer. Perks should not be necessary to counter killers, and it's unreasonable to run a specific perk 100% of the time just in case you get the right D20 roll and face a Deathslinger.

or, any killer, lbr.

People justify running the infamous 2nd Chance build by basically saying 'but what if', so why not run a perk that has a substantial advantage against many killers?

To come back to comparing Caleb and Michael:

One argument brought up is 'if deathslinger sees you, he can shoot you', but you'll never hear 'if michael sees you, you're screwed'. Because I had a ton of matches against a Michael in which i was the only one with spine chill, and each time it went the same. SC triggers, I look around, spot michael, and signal others to get away. they don't. you can guess the rest.

There's a number of killers that strike me as designed with a non-chase based counterplay in mind, but Deathslinger's the first one where it bites people in the butt if they still try to pull their routine.

I'm a slow my bad my point still stands though you continue to make these slinge posts and refuse to actually listen to points.

• WylesongWylesong Member Posts: 641

I have read a very big chunk of this forum and I would stop trying to explain to this person the issue with DS. I mean personally I have just came back after a break so have not dealt with any issue yet but I can see your point. This person is so dead set on not wanting to hear or believe he has a issue that you could point out every known point with valid facts and proof and just like most arguments it simply will end with just use X perk. Rofl I hear this for so many killers. As an example use Spine chill for DS and use Iron Will for Spirit and use Calm Spirit for Doctor and the list goes on. If we knew what killer we were up against sure but there is no way we can predict the killer so unless survivors can get more perks to use there is now way to always use all the perks JUST IN CASE you get one of these killers. Overall to me if you need to constantly equip one perk the entire time in hopes you finally go against the one killer it counters then the killer may be a little broken and hard to counter.

I am not saying Death Slinger needs to be removed and heck I think all killers are interesting. I will say some are certainly less fun to play against. I mean when I see spirit I am like well this is gonna either be horrible or great and then Hag I expect a very campy killer even with her traps in play. The list goes on so yeah some killers are harder than others but all are fun.....sometimes. lol

So does mine that you're throwing rocks in a glass house.

Okay, we are both stubborn. And I am willing to listen to points, but not when the points boil down to 'you play the game wrong because you rob people of chases'.

I do agree (i think i mentioned) that Deathslinger should be barred from using M&A. I also do agree that a bit of wind up time would not be bad (though it might actually make him more powerful or not make a difference at all). What I don't agree with is when people say that he should be removed because you can't loop him (and other things)

Personal solution would be dynamic maps, but that's a different topic

This is just whataboutism. Tell me how I should counter Deathslinger other than stealth, or why I'm wrong about stealth not being viable against him.

Again, Myers is nothing like Deathslinger. He cannot zone. Deathslinger's ability to zone is the problem. If Michael is stalking you, you are faster than him and you can run away. If Deathslinger is faking a shot, he is faster than you, so you can't dodge without taking an M1 and you can't run straight without taking a ranged shot.

I do not like running Spine Chill because it makes the game substantially less fun. No need to scan your surroundings, no jump scares, just wait for the kitty cat to light up and Urban Evade away. Again, though, a perk should not be necessary to counter a killer, especially since you can't see which killer you're playing until the game starts. Second chance perks are not necessary to counter any killer in the game and are therefore irrelevant.

• Komodo16Komodo16 Member Posts: 1,488

Have you ever heard of initial thoughts and opinions?

thing with deathslinger is that no one complained till some big name streamer said he can't be countered the usual way, which the community twisted into 'he has NO counterplay' which lead to 'he's unfun because you can't run him', which ultimately lead to some people being outright vicious towards everyone who likes him in any way.

And I hope we agree that the latter is absolutely not okay

Yeah it's not, but the issue with that is I hated spirit and deathslinger eventually and I couldn't properly explain why because I just never thought deeply and after reading what other said I realized I agreed. Thats no bandwagon and in a game like this people have to realize that not everyone can be in touch with their feelings like other or just downright dont pay attention to why they dislike something. And also opinions are subject to change. I mean I look like I bandwagoned but I was always like dude what am I supposed to do against spirit and then I heard why she was so oppressive and it finally taught me why I didnt like her. You kinda understand?

kinda do, but by all means, I don't see spirit get the hate deathslinger is getting. I don't mean on the 'needs a nerf' level, I mean beyond that. And all because he's 'unfun'.

Well I think no killer should be removes nor get that much hate. I havent seen it but I dont doubt you. All it takes is ine PH DS or spirit who knows how to use their power to make you feel hopeless and just hate them. I contemplate quitting as soon as I get one of those killers who know how to abuse the bad mechanics soley because I want to be able to have a chance at living longer than 30 seconds

I don't think one can actually make things better unless the game gets more complex, which seems to be something people (at least some loud ones) are very much against.

The point him robbing people of chases is valid for a few reasons. You cant skillfully counter him and relies on him being bad, stealthing is boring for both sides and have multiple perks to counter, chases are fun and a killer that cancels that is flawed.

I seen you say people only disliked him when scott said it but honestly I hated him since release day 1. He can shoot over nearly every loop, he has an isnta shoot and he can zone by existing. I said this all day one.