Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

Question: Do you think there is a skill difference between PC and console players?

This isn't stating that one is better than the other. I'm just wondering what you all have observed.

Comments

• God_ProfGod_Prof Member Posts: 57
    edited October 2020

I think It is. It's not just skill, the stealth meta, or aggressive gen rush meta, and killer preferences.

We have various meta differences even if in different countries. And also game play skills. There would be different game flow.

It might be my myth but i felt consoles are more likely to hide and prefer more safe gameplay, but PC prefer more aggressive gen rush.

And, in average user level, also chasing skill(change there view free on chase) could be different. Not on pro console players level. They have really good skill.

• xenotimebongxenotimebong Member Posts: 2,803

No, I don’t think there’s necessarily a difference in skill. I do think that consoles tend to have more casual players, because they’re much more accessible in many ways. (Note that I’m not using “casual” as an insult or anything, I would consider myself fairly casual and I think that the vast, vast majority of people who game are.)

The average PC player is probably the same, skill-wise, as the average console player. I do think there are more “serious” players on PC though. And there are also inbuilt advantages to playing on PC, like better overall performance, better frame rates, better controls, and the ability to customise the game somewhat (low graphics setting, Nvidia filters, stretched res, macros, etc.).

• TripleStealTripleSteal Member Posts: 1,298

Everything except the very top skill bracket (tournament players) is on average about the same for different platforms.

• EleghostEleghost Member Posts: 817

I'd say it really depends as PC will beat out console on the hardware side and less fps drops and such. This game hasn't been optimized the greatest from the start and not much has changed since.

As for roles survivor will see minimal differences. As stated above maybe some sharper turns on pc and more looking behind but that's about it.

Killer would depend on killers as some probably won't play as well on console as they will on pc with accuracy or turn speed.

• TricksTricks Member Posts: 957

Well seeing as the console system has a built in auto aimbot assist and PC doesn't there is a clear skill difference.

• OrionOrion Member Posts: 21,675

There's a difference in input controls, which means that regardless of their skill, they're inherently capped at a certain level of play. Since this game requires quick, precise movements, keyboard and mouse are just better, so console players will seem of lower skill.

• RaSavage42RaSavage42 Member Posts: 3,227

Skill wise no difference... you can learn and do good on all platforms

Performance wise PC is better... for obvious reasons

• MomentosisMomentosis Member Posts: 820

There's a difference.

Consoles are inherently limited a bit by controller.

There are also things console survivors do that only really works on console killers and not PC killers(like trying to drop their frames to make them miss).

This doesn't mean every PC player is better than console player. It just means the ceiling is way higher on PC. Same for most games(like shooters) where precise movements with MnK makes a huge differnce.

• ZaynZayn Member Posts: 365

I'm gonna preface this by saying that I started on console in 2017 and switched to PC at the end of last year and have been at rank 1 both sides every season as a solo que survivor for the most part. From what I have observed, console players play the game a lot more casually than PC players do. When I am the only PC survivor in my lobby and the other 3 are cross play players, the game usually doesn't go well but there are exceptions. I will leave it at that.

• RepostRiposteRepostRiposte Member Posts: 793

PC killers are better than console killers

Survivors are basically the same just more console SWF

• BrightenedBrightened Member Posts: 203

Wouldn't someone adapt to using a controller the same way we adapt to a mouse?

• PulsarPulsar Member Posts: 12,473

I would say if you give PC Killers and Console Killers the same equipment and an equal playing field, some Console Killers might come out ahead, simply because they've had to adapt to massive disadvantages.

That being said, I don't really think one is better than the other, but I am way more scared of a PC Nurse than a Console Nurse. Likewise, I am far more scared of a Console Trapper than a PC Trapper (sorry Otz) because in my experience, Console Trapper's place their traps in WEIRD spots and it gives me anxiety.

• APoipleTurtleAPoipleTurtle Member Posts: 1,263

Yes, but that's one of the hardware limitations. Controllers offer smoother movement due to their analog sticks at the cost of lower precision.

This is why killers like Nurse or Huntress are considered to be significantly scarier on PC than on console (Nurse used to be considered bottom tier on Console because the low precision and poor framerate made her power feel too unwieldy to be playable). Players can obviously become great with any killer regardless of input device, but at the absolute highest levels of play Mouse + Keyboard is superior to Controller in most genres (only main exceptions are racers and platformers).

• TalanarTalanar Member Posts: 30

Of course there is. Console survivors trip around the map like an excursion from elementary school. Barely do gens. Hide at slightest rattle. Majority of console killers camps and tunnels. PC ones do too, of course, but not so regularly. I only had crossplay on for a week, couldn't stand it.

• BigTimeGamerBigTimeGamer Member Posts: 1,752

ill just say this, nowadays when I see everyone is PC, i have higher expectations than seeing default cosmetic console players

• Star99erStar99er Member Posts: 1,213
    edited October 2020

Not so much a Skill difference but rather limited capability. Console players don't have as much movement sensitivity and also are locked at 30fps(Not including the Next Gen Consoles). You're also unable to perform flick hits like you can with Killers on PC with a mouse and keyboard. It's reasons like this that Nurse is considered to be the worst killer in the game on every platform aside from PC where she's one of the best.

Post edited by Star99er on
  • MadLordJackMadLordJack Member Posts: 8,815

No. Unlike a lot of people, I actively attempt to discard my personal bias, and have come to the conclusion that everyone sucks equally. Especially when some stuck-up player blames their console teammates or a console killer for whatever went wrong and completly ignored that they played like shite as well.

Seriously, the post-game chat can be so revealing as to people's actual nature.

• ALostPuppyALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398

Answer: No. This game is as simple as it gets. Everything you can learn about this game on pc you can learn on console just as easily. The PC and console versions of DbD aren't mechanically challenging or demanding in the slightest compared to most other multiplayer games, it was designed that way lmao. Whether that's a good or bad thing is up to you, personally I like that this game is very casual. Grind-wise this game is abysmal, the sheer amount of content you have to grind for and the poor BP yield isn't new player-friendly at ALL. But that's an entirely different can of worms.

• Demonl3yDemonl3y Member Posts: 1,416

Since i recently bought the switch version, i must say the crontrolls and especially the framerate there is awfull. Otherwise i dont see any advantages of PC or Console exceps of possible hacks and this stupid stretched res. of course.

I also didnt notice any skill differences.

All play the same for me.

• JPLongstreetJPLongstreet Member Posts: 2,735

Turning as a console killer is much more limited, which is why we can be spun and followed and such much more easily. And "flicking" really doesn't exist. You just cannot turn fast enough, or react fast enough, no matter the settings.

Add that to inconsistent frames, rollercoaster pings, bad lag, worse latency, aim-dressing costing you hits, and then sprinkle in the bugs & stuff we all share. Plus our PS cousins got wreaked this last patch.

No one should really wonder why there are few console killers out hunting, Crossplay or no.

We are not locked at 30fps at all. Many other games can and do run smoothly at double that on my Xbox. It's DBD that doesn't. We can drop into the teens for frames on the indoir maps, or depending on what's going on anywhere.

• BardBard Member Posts: 657
    edited October 2020

Console players have:

• Higher input delays
    • Worse frames
    • Abysmal turn speed/precision
    • (Usually, but not always) Stereo sound, playing from a couch in their living room

Their skill is a mute point.

Their setups are bad.

It's easy as hell to deal with a Legion who can't make fine adjustments, can't discern directional sounds, drops to 10 frames whenever he gets a hit, and has 50 ping between his controller and his console.

If we're talking survivors, they can still get a decent ways off of being flat out overpowered, but they're still a lot easier to beat than a PC player with comparable skill/loadout. It doesn't help them any that, until recently, they've been getting used to ONLY console killers, meaning they have scarcely a clue what to do against a PC Nurse/Huntress/Slinger.

Post edited by Gay Myers (Luzi) on
  • BossBoss Member, Trusted Posts: 13,578

Oh absolutely.

Ever since consoles joined my lobbies, there's been more running straightforward without plans and/or purpose.

I mean they'll use loops like normal, but from what i'm seeing, they don't look back as often, and thus going around and hitting them on the other side is somewhat more easy to pull off.

They also seem to like to 360 a lot more, which just never works.

Interesting :o Being a PC player, I never really see what the consoles do on the team during chases.

• Tactless_NinjaTactless_Ninja Member Posts: 1,791

I've been in this thread for a minute and I'm already stupider.

Imagine it taking twice as long for you to swing the camera behind you and then back again to see where you're going. That's console life.

Also even I noticed fewer console survs using dh as it is much more of a crap shoot if it will work or not, and we all know how dh users move in a chase. One of the best surv perks used less because of platform performance alone. Just one example.

• BigHatBigHat Member Posts: 97

I'd say when the performance on ps4 is decent I can do anything pc can besides obviously no scope like precision with slinger/huntress and doing 360s quite as tight

I don't experience "hacking" too often and wouldn't know if I did.