Home Discussions General Discussions

How do you spend your money on Dead by Daylight?

I've purchased skins and content on PS4, XBOX and Steam. Early on in my DbD career, I purchased the DLC packs since there were no cosmetics (other than charity packs) or the rift. As cosmetics came out, I was a pretty avid buyer of them. For about a year and a half I happily purchased skins, unknowingly wasting a lot of my money. I purchased Rift 1,2,3 and 4...

But I skipped out on 5. I've stopped purchasing skins entirely and I'm saving up shards for the new Killer and hopefully a green tier cosmetic for them.

Why did I stop throwing my money at BHVR? Several reasons. There are many skins I own on both PS and XBOX, but since cross progression/purchases isn't a thing for these platforms yet, they're stuck on the other side. Ever since the rift became a thing, the direction the game is taking is pretty obvious. The game has to make money, clearly, but inserting a battle pass into a paid game with a pile of existing and growing DLC character packs AND premium cosmetics is just a bit too much for me. It turns me off from wanting to spend anymore money on the game than I need to. Legendary skins were the final nail in the coffin for me. You're charging that much for skins that are purely cosmetic? I can think of several games out there that not only drastically change a characters appearance, but change their skill effects AND their voice entirely. Paladins is a good example. Browse through all of their champion's skins and listen to each unique voice. Paladins (both of these games are nothing alike but the monetization comparison seems fair) is a free to play game with a battle pass, so that doesn't rub me the wrong way at all, especially when they come across as being worth a purchase.

The only way I'll be spending more money on this game is if Pyramid Head get's a Homecoming skin or a licensed chapter comes out. At least that way I know the license holders get a share.

Love the game to it's core, but I far from love the way the game is headed in regards to monetization.

Comments

• CashelP14CashelP14 Member Posts: 3,412

I bought every rift and every dlc (except for the last few which were buyable by shards). Plus about another £50 buying other skins.

No matter what happens I'll never spend any money on a linked skin. That [BAD WORD] doesn't deserve my money.

• dugmandugman Member Posts: 1,322

The only thing I’ve bought is the licensed killers I couldn’t unlock with shards.

• lagostalagosta Member Posts: 515

Bought all DLCs so I could unlock perks that took forever to show up in shrine (looking at you BBQ). Since tome 4, by the end of the rift I check my performance. If there are any skins I like that I would have already unlocked if i had premium, I'll buy it. Other than that, I plan on purchasing licensed characters skins after I finish collecting all perks and P3 on them.

• SweetTerrorSweetTerror Member Posts: 1,398
    edited November 2020

I found it interesting that during the last big Q&A session with the developers, one of the questions that they had to address (because it received a ton of upvotes), was would they dedicate a chapter to game health? As gamers we spend a lot of money on this game: DLC, battle passes, skins, etc, and yet the game is still missing some of the most requested features that only get louder year after year: quality matchmaking, practice mode, console optimization, bug fixes, etc.

In order for DBD to keep turning a profit it obviously needs new content, but I feel that for all the things that aren't being addressed, the amount of money we give BHVR needs to stop. As the saying goes, you need to speak with your wallet, and I feel that is more prevalent than ever because quite frankly I'm getting tired of hearing BHVR say things like, "it's not a priority right now", or "maybe it could happen" in response to our suggestions and requests.

• narfnarf Member Posts: 51

Repentlessly.

• Aven_FallenAven_Fallen Member Posts: 7,206

I bought the first Rift Pass (all other Rift Passes are paid with the Cells I get back). Also I buy every DLC for money, I think 7 Euros are a better deal than 18k Shards for me (it takes me less time to get 7 Euros than 18k Shards).

Also I buy every Nea-Cosmetic (Shards or money, depending if it is available for Shards) and for other Characters, I only spend money if I REALLY like the Cosmetic.

• SenzuDuckSenzuDuck Member Posts: 5,228

I buy every DLC, Every Rift, I also buy quite a few DLCs for other people.

I must have put about £400 - £500 into the game via Auric Cells tbh.

• JinSimeJinSime Member Posts: 242

I don't spend money on this game anymore. Not worth it. But I may spend the shards if something cool pops up

• Ghost_Face_MainGhost_Face_Main Member Posts: 366

Only spent money on licensed killers, The Cursed Legacy Chapter, cosmetics only for killers/survivors I play, and premium Rift passes that include enough particular items that entice me.

• APoipleTurtleAPoipleTurtle Member Posts: 935

I've paid for one Premium Rift (and gotten the return-on-investment which I used to get all the other Rifts). I used to buy the DLC bundles as a means of supporting the game, but I usually just use shards for original characters now. I have a big stockpile of shards that was built up over the years, so I might as well use them for something.

I have never bought a tier in the Rift (didn't actually know this was a thing you could do until around Rift 3 or 4) and I've never paid money/cells for cosmetics.

• notstarboardnotstarboard Member Posts: 2,273

I'm not interested in cosmetics and realize that it's just a money pit, so the only cosmetics I bought were the Charity Case. Other than that I've bought a few paid DLCs, mostly on sale. I haven't paid for anything I can just unlock with shards. I haven't paid for any of the rifts either. It's just not worth it unless you really like getting new cosmetics and you no-life the game enough to be sure you'll max out each rift and therefore won't need to pay after the first one.

• HellDescentHellDescent Member Posts: 3,948

I bought halloween and bubba chapters, pig and freddy with auric cells. Then I realized just how broken the game is and haven't spent anything on in over 2 years