Home Discussions General Discussions

Stealth is unrewarded

2»

Comments

• Unseen_ForceUnseen_Force Member Posts: 218

Yes just what the game needs, more survivors hiding in corners and bushes doing nothing and stretching the game to 20-30 min

• zoozoom6zoozoom6 Member Posts: 811

"Maybe you should learn how to play the game properly?"

this entire post

this is you insulting me for no reason.

you're trying to make the case make the case that stealth lets you do _________(fill in none stealth related objective here) and then you infer im an idiot for saying your not making sense. it stops being a stealth play when you get caught. nearly everything you've posted so far has been unwarranted insults and the rest is you trying to make the case for stealth being good by using non-stealth plays as examples.

• FrootLoopsFrootLoops Member Posts: 288

So in answer to the OP, since you are referencing the fact that you depip despite surviving when playing immersed I think it's fair to reference the emblem system. The game does account for stealthy play there:

• 100 points: starting value
    • 1 point per second: awarded for being in proximity to the Killer
      • This value is affected by a distance multiplier:
        • within 5 metres: x6.0
        • within 10 metres: x2.2
        • within 20 metres: x1.1
        • within 30 metres: x0.5
        • within 45 metres: x0.3
        • within 64 metres: x0.1
        • farther than 64 metres: x0.0

so if you are near the killer but not in chase then the closer the killer gets to you without initiating chase the more stealth points you are awarded. to get Silver emblem you need 380 points, gold is 560, Iri is 880. this means that baseline to get silver without ever getting a chase would be to stay within 5 meters of the killer for 47 seconds or within 10 meters for 127 seconds. however a single pallet stun is worth 50 points and looping the killer around a structure is worth ~1 point per second which you bank every 10 seconds, with a double bonus if you escape the chase.

so it is certainly possible to earn a silver evader emblem without ever being chased, but I wouldn't realistically expect gold emblems without chase unless the killer is farming. Additionally, during a chase you gain points in light bringer if your team are on gens

And I think this is right. getting into the higher ranks should be based on a demonstrated ability to master all elements of the game including stealth. if someone could get iri emblems without being chased at all. the pips aren't really a reward so much as a measure of overall match performance.

Finally, I tend to agree to an extent that stealth can sandbag the team. not that you aren't unhooking and doing gens, but if the killer can't find anyone else to chase then of course they are going to tunnel whoever is out being bold. If that person is a God tier looper then great, they run the killer for 5 gens and everyone escapes, but if not then they die early and make it that much easier for the killer to mop up

• robotronrobotron Member Posts: 22

The problem is that although you may be stealthy, your teammates in most cases aren't or want to get chased and end up getting hooked. I've had games where I spent 40 seconds stealthily around a killer and then within 20 seconds of leaving me he had already downed another survivor. So the idea is you have to cover a bit for weaker players and take some pressure off them if the killer allows it.

But there is an optimal stealth play. Last night I had a game where the killer was running ruin, and within ten seconds of the match was already on my gen looking for me. I managed to stealth him around for about 40 seconds before he started to look for others. Just as he was a little distance a way, I fast vaulted a window to bring him back and start a chase. The reason for that is easy. If he ends up pressuring another gen and chasing someone else, only 2 gens might be completed while one regresses and the one I had been working on has no progress. By bringing the killer back to me I give my teammates enough time to finish their gens and still waste a decent amount of the killers time.

As far as the pip system goes, it's a joke and people shouldn't take it so seriously. Depiping because you got morid or face camped or because your teammates DCed or because survivors let you die on hook is dumb and the devs would rather release unfinished content than improve their current system.

• Slendy4321Slendy4321 Member Posts: 376

When I don't run my normal build I run Fixated/UE/IS/BL. It's not super stealthy but I find it enjoyable to run

• Deadman316Deadman316 Member Posts: 537

I understand where you're coming from, however, I did this several times and I was left to die half the time because no one came back to help me, even though I gave myself up for them, so I don't do it anymore.

• IamFranIamFran Member Posts: 444

I'm happy stealth is unrewarding, we already have enough Claudettes crouched in bushes using urban evasion and iron will. If it was more rewarding they would be more then... Is so boring to play against stealthy players.

Is better to learn loops and mindgames, more fun, and you get more points, I was a stealthy sv long ago.

• KaelumKaelum Member Posts: 977
    edited November 2020

Dude, you are being extremely rude. I can't even understand what you said here. I'm sorry, but from what I can understand, you are taking my words out of context and twisting them to meet your narrative. Stealth, when used properly, is the very essence of this game. When used improperly, it's like sandbagging your entire team. Stating that I said anything different is a false statement on your part. Instead of attacking me, why don't you attempt to prove your point?

If the last few new maps, and the latest map changes, are any indication of where BHVR is going, it is definitely toward a more stealthy play. If they didn't want players to use what you hate, they would not have added them in the degree that they have. This is one way of slowing the game down tremendously w/o making it tedious. They've said it before, this isn't COD, and they don't want DbD to be that type of game.

• Yung_SlugYung_Slug Member Posts: 2,183

Essentially, this is a game of time management. The side who is most effective with their time is generally the side who wins. If survivors just needed to stall for time, stealth might be a good strategy. But they have an objective, to repair generators before the killer kills them all. So they need to be aggressive. It's similar to Town of Salem, where a passive town is a dead town.

The main problem with stealth is that it only wastes the killer's time in certain situations. However, if the killer isn't looking for you specifically, he'll just find someone else instead. I've had plenty of games where a survivor died off early because I legitimately could not find anyone else to chase, as they ducked away into cover after unhooking, leaving the injured survivor to be found again. That's just sandbagging those survivors.

You might think that the game should be more stealth centric, but that's pretty boring as a game concept. If you spent most of your time as killer looking for survivors, who are spending most of their time hiding in lockers or bushes, nothing is really happening. Neither side would have much fun that way, and the games would often be extremely long.

• PubStar87PubStar87 Member Posts: 140

To those that argue you sandbag by avoiding, I raise you Survival of the Fittest. Action SWF DBD is not something I or any player ever contractually agreed to. Not my fault everybody runs around like they can't die or something anymore.

• YordsYords Member Posts: 1,377

Yeah, the best thing you can do is run kindred and hope your team has at least 2 brain cells lol.

• zoozoom6zoozoom6 Member Posts: 811

one of your posts is just insults how is that out of context? im being rude? you are inferring im an idiot in every reply and i have done nothing.i didnt attack you im saying you're continuously insulting me and asking you to stop.quote me copy and paste the exact comment you think "Stating that I said anything different is a false statement on your part. Instead of attacking me"

your not linking your points together in a way anyone else can follow saying your trying to make the case for stealth and going on about all the good your do for your team be looping for 5 minutes getting saves and completing gens. none of these are stealth

Dude, at this point it is crystal clear that you are trolling. I explained the "5 minutes gen" statement to you in 4 different posts, yet you have ignored everything that I've said in each post. You have failed to provide any information to counter my statements and continue to twist my words into something that I clearly rebuked. Stealth is here to stay, and BHVR is moving the game to a healthier, stealthier, state. You can either adapt, or have a miserable time in the game, it is completely up to you.

• TangledNoodlesTangledNoodles Member Posts: 226

@Xeticus Well she sucked, so if anything she would've been better off dead (in the game). She even ratted out everyone else, it turned out ot be some streamer who was trolling to ruin other people's games.

• MythMageMythMage Member Posts: 521

I only hate stealthy survivors just because my BBQ stacks

• BlackKatBlackKat Member Posts: 18

I like to play stealth, but was discouraged with the lack of points. Staying in the killers radius for boldness and evasion points, working on gens, rescuing and healing people can help you get points and avoid depipping.

• Ghost_Face_MainGhost_Face_Main Member Posts: 366

You only ever need to stealth if you're around the killer. I have no patience for survivors that sit in a bush all game.

• sQuAdesQuAde Member Posts: 28

this is a tag game, you should use these perks to make plays during chases

for example, fixated will help you to shift tech

iron will WILL help you to make mind games while injured

and so on..

• SaitamfedSaitamfed Member Posts: 1,131

Actually, stealth doesn't mean, hide in the corner of the map. Stealth can mean if I know the killer is closer to the gen I am working in, I proceed to hide instead of running like there's no tomorrow. And yes, it's not rewarded. Also, playing stealth makes the killer not wanting to spend time in searching you because that doesn't help him so you can work in the generator free of the killer pressure since the killer is not going to waste time looking for you.

• EvilJoshyEvilJoshy Member Posts: 2,621
    edited November 2020

I feel the problem with stealth is the objective of the survivors. The faster you finish those gens the better your chances of escaping. Sadly that means running around. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy stealth. Whenever I play skyrim my sneak skill is always the first to hit lvl 100. I feel stealth has it's place in DBD but it has 3 main problems.

1: The community gives it a bad rep. When you hear stealth you think a P3 Blendette that's crouched in a corner. UE'ing everywhere and not doing gens. There's nothing wrong with using UE to get around but if the killer is occupied you can throw stealth out the window and start running to the nearest gen. Most survivors look down on stealth and often hate message new survivors who try to actually avoid being seen. This causes the new players to think they need to run everywhere.

2: Stealth is like most hex perks for killer. High risk and low reward. Minus a few exceptions(Devour Hope) When a chase begins, losing a killer through stealth is very difficult against decent killers. If it works it's amazing. However if it doesn't work the killer gets a free hit. If your bleeding there's almost no point in trying to stealth. You can bring perks like dance with me, q&q or iron will but that's like bringing toth to protect ruin. Your doubling down. If it doesn't work your at an even greater disadvantage. You could have instead brought 2nd chance perks. Which I feel are too many and too powerful. There's also the killer to consider. If it's someone with a one shot, like bubba, billy, Oni, I don't even try to stealth them. If they find me crouched behind debris it's a free chainsaw.

3: Pallet looping is just so damn good at wasting time. Stealth "might" work. Pallet looping "will" work. Even if your caught, a decent looper can waste enough of the killer's time for the team to repair gens. If a stealthy player manages to lose the killer. Then the killer will go back to patrolling gens and probably find someone else. If the killer is busy chasing someone for 1 min then the rest of the team is practically free from harm to repair the gens.

• notlonelynotlonely Member Posts: 144

The issue with pallet looping is that the meta killers right now are good thanks to their ability to deny loops. Spirit, Nurse or Freddy can make loops shorter and get kills faster, also Hag (pls nerf hag) can literally shut down an entire area of the map so yeah that's basically it. Stealth is better agaisnt these killers and I'd love to be able to use that mechanic more.

• GlamourousLeviathanGlamourousLeviathan Member Posts: 131
    edited November 2020

I actually like when survivors play stealthy, it feels more realistic than when they act bold. It makes me feel like I'm in a hide and seek game, which is one of the things that made me buy the game. IMO the game should reward stealth and individuality more than boldness and altruism for immersion purposes.