Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

What's wrong what an LGBTQ+ character in Dead by Daylight?

LambdaLambda Member Posts: 105
edited December 2020 in General Discussions

No seriously, tell me. What's wrong with that kind of representation. When Jane Romero (Latin American), Zarina Kassir (Lebanese), Yui Kimura (Japanese), Felix Richter (German) and Élodie Rakoto (French Madagassian) were added to the game, everyone was just all fine and dandy, like any person with a brain would be. Representation is nice, it's important to us. As soon, however, as a hypothetical LGBTQ+ person even begins to be discussed, all I see are angry casual people complaining about it.

"Muh horror, no relationships"

So should we just absolutely void and remove the pre-existing straight relationships that are already in the game like Felix and Nurse? Or are gays exclusively not allowed?

And before you start typing "I don't care, as long as they don't rub it in our face" and as much as I HATE that kind of response, I think that goes for just about everyone. Behaviour has to remember to make them an actual character.

Post edited by Gay Myers (Luzi) on

Comments

• TheMonadoBoiTheMonadoBoi Member Posts: 343

I don't see anything wrong with it. As a bi dude myself I love bi characters. The problem is it's a horror game, and as such I don't really see anyone expressing their sexuality at any time. Likewise sometimes I think of Felix as a bi dude precisely because none of em express their sexuality in any way so it allows me to see them however I want to. I just don't think it fits, if all characters are sexually ambiguous I can think of any ships and pairings I want (even though it doesn't happen often cause again, it's a game about killing people for fun lol)

Although I would be so down for an openly trans character, that would be cool because it has to do with identity which is something that IS explored in the game and the lore.

• MistikusMistikus Member Posts: 1,343

Idk why some of you guys are so press about lgbt character, just give devs time to do it right, my discusion about it one after another make people hate the idea more

• SheKIndaSucksSheKIndaSucks Member Posts: 46

Because these people haven't grown up dealing with the issues LGBT folks face and don't get why representation is important, often as they're people who are heavily represented in media anyway. Not like there's the same complaints about heterosexual relationships in the lore. People like having characters they can relate to. It's really not that hard to wrap your head around.

• NomiNomadNomiNomad Member Posts: 2,750
    edited December 2020

The Writers for the game probably aren't also on the Dev team. Bugs and lore have nothing to do with eachother.

I think the difference between this game and OW is that OW, at least in my opinion, didn't have great writing from the start. The game is "Incredibles, but a little different", and most of the characters were just Cliché's. Outlaw Cowboy #1700, Japanese Warrior obsessed with honor #679 and #680 . When they introduced LGBT characters, at least to me, it came across as them trying to cover up controversy from the game. Not a place of genuine want.

BHVR seems like they want to add them in, for good reasons, and the writing is far better. Again, that's just my opinion - the main point of this reply is that the actual game and the writing within the game have very little do with eachother.

• LambdaLambda Member Posts: 105

To be honest, I know they'll eventually add LGBTQ+ characters, I just kind of wanted to vent because after the last two threads I've been reading through, it's incredibly disappointing that there's still so much outcry against that kind of representation.

• LambdaLambda Member Posts: 105

I'm moreso talking about adding brand new LGBTQ+ characters rather than changing the ones we already have. Personally I wouldn't mind changing existing characters but I understand concerns over changing characters that already have an established lore.

• OrionOrion Member Posts: 21,675

Note that most of the current characters do not have an explicit sexual orientation, so nothing would be "changed" about them. Their lore would be expanded, nothing more.

edited December 2020

In my opinion most of people were neutral in this matter, but then some people started making this type of disscutions we can all agree thats some people there wanted to start ######### storm and they made neutral people feel like some of us want to rush it just to have character only base on sexual orientation

Post edited by Mistikus on
  • DeliciousFoodDeliciousFood Member Posts: 458
    edited December 2020

People concerned about the mishandling of a character identifying in the LGBT group, which you grossly exaggerate, are those that also reference past misuse of these characters to push some low-effort agenda or to distract from other issues. I think most people here don't care whether there is a character with a different sexual orientation, but they don't want a character known as 'the gay character' or 'the trans character' as if that's all there is to it. Those suck.

• undoredoundoredo Member Posts: 92

I mean there would be nothing wrong with it but why do we have to put "BTW THEY'RE GAY" in their backstory?

Although I suppose a enby character would be nice and fresh

• OrionOrion Member Posts: 21,675

"Normal people", right.

I mean there would be nothing wrong with it but why do we have to put "BTW THEY'RE GAY" in their backstory?

We don't and nobody wants that.

• undoredoundoredo Member Posts: 92
    edited December 2020

ok? i was literally saying i was against it lol

like it's unnecessary. im not homophobic it's just. what

No. For me all people are normal, please dont try to put words in my mouth i did not say

• ChekitaChekita Member Posts: 183

On my part I think the best response to this kind of nonsense is letting any big babies that are so touched by the fact a fictional character is not to their liking, since the character has no relationship whatsoever with anything already established is just pure nonsense being against any type of character being created (It's not the same as arguing against an established character or franchise being changed, etc).

Just hope if they make one that it has very good perks and let's see if people will get it or not because of their sensibilities to virtue signaling as they say. Will laugh so hard XD!

• scenekillerscenekiller Member Posts: 765
    edited December 2020

But this scenario people keep mentioning would not happen. Why is everybody so afraid the lore would scream GAY!!! at them?? No other lore has done this for straight characters.

And even if it did, what's the issue? I don't remember people being up in arms about how Jane's lore focused on her career in entertainment so heavily, for example.

By this logic, why put any lore in at all?

Well im on phone my autocorrect change that,i will edit it