Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

Can I get banned if my bad wifi disconnects me from game often?

BACKSTABBERBACKSTABBER Member Posts: 1,809
edited October 2018 in General Discussions

I played killer from a student dorm, and was ok match but suddenly start to lag to hell and DCED

it counted like everyone else DCED and earned BP, but I think this was negative like a step closer to get banned??

Comments

  • CetrenCetren Member Posts: 979
    The ban threshold is pretty high with DC's. I also had less then suitable wifi, and it works fine but when it gets a hiccup, let's say theres some less than pleasurable comments to be made to me. I wouldn't worry about getting banned though, as long as it's just isolated incidents.
  • makaylamakayla Member Posts: 287

    I also have weird internet that disconnects me from matches occasionally, but nothing has happened to me. You'll be okay, most likely.

  • OrionOrion Member Posts: 21,675

    Yes. Get a better connection or stop playing online games when you know you can't.

  • PeanitsPeanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 6,677
    All disconnects are treated exactly the same since there's no way to discern between someone pulling the plug and a legitimate connection loss. With that said though, in order for those to trigger a ban alone it would have to happen so often that the game wouldn't be enjoyable to play because you keep losing connection.
  • JedJed Member Posts: 254
    edited October 2018

    This question is for all three of you. How fast is your internet speed? I mean mine isnt the best (100 mbps) but I have never had anyone accuse me of lag switching in this game or any other. I did however have a couple of questionable matches yesterday that had huge lag spikes at very convenient moments during the game.

  • PeanitsPeanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 6,677

    @Jed said:
    This question is for all three of you. How fast is your internet speed? I mean mine isnt the best (100 mbps) but I have never had anyone accuse me of lag switching in this game or any other. I did however have a couple of questionable matches yesterday that had huge lag spikes at very convenient moments during the game.

    Your speed would have to be very low in order for the game to feel like you're lagswitching. I've had those lagspikes too, but only since the update. Survivors will sometimes lag significantly as I'm chasing them, sometimes one or two people lose connection. It's not a you problem, don't worry.

  • Rebel_RavenRebel_Raven Member Posts: 1,776
    Hotel wiiiiifiiiii!

  • VortexasVortexas Member Posts: 757

    If you have UNSTABLE internet, an online competitive game isn't for you.

  • BACKSTABBERBACKSTABBER Member Posts: 1,809
    edited October 2018

    @Peanits said:
    All disconnects are treated exactly the same since there's no way to discern between someone pulling the plug and a legitimate connection loss. With that said though, in order for those to trigger a ban alone it would have to happen so often that the game wouldn't be enjoyable to play because you keep losing connection.

    disagree, I think admins can register the red ping during the match and its peaks, so can disCERN if the DC was intentionally or not

    in this student dorm we share wifi between maybe 50 guys lol

  • PeanitsPeanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 6,677

    @BACKSTABBER said:

    @Peanits said:
    All disconnects are treated exactly the same since there's no way to discern between someone pulling the plug and a legitimate connection loss. With that said though, in order for those to trigger a ban alone it would have to happen so often that the game wouldn't be enjoyable to play because you keep losing connection.

    disagree, I think admins can register the red ping during the match and its peaks, so can disCERN if the DC was intentionally or not

    in this student dorm we share wifi between maybe 50 guys lol

    I mean, there's nothing to disagree with, I'm just stating facts. It doesn't matter how you DC, it's all counted the same. It doesn't matter if you click the button, pull the cord, disable the adapter, turn off your computer of physically smash it with a sledgehammer. The only thing that matters is that you're no longer in the match.

    If it were to detect disconnects and not count them as a DC, people could just pull the plug to avoid DC bans, for example. That is why we treat them all the same.

  • CodeLeoCodeLeo Member Posts: 12
    edited October 2018

    @Jed said:
    This question is for all three of you. How fast is your internet speed? I mean mine isnt the best (100 mbps) but I have never had anyone accuse me of lag switching in this game or any other. I did however have a couple of questionable matches yesterday that had huge lag spikes at very convenient moments during the game.

    download/upload Speed is almost irrelevant when determining the stability of your connection. Games mostly just send player location information, actions, and world status updates in small bits as far as I understand. All the animations and graphics(things that take up the most memory) are handled client side. As far as I've been told, even a 10mbps download/5mbps upload speed is really good enough for almost all games.

    The important part of a host's connection is stability and speed of communication. This is measured in ping, and should be taken as both an average of a period of time and as a maximum spike during your usual play period. If you're having often or dramatic spikes in ping, you're probably experiencing some sort of interference which will impact the game significantly. Conversely, a consistantly high ping means you probably have a pretty poor ISP service in the area and lag will probably be a constant in your games.

    To give you an idea of how irrelevant down/up speed is, I've played this game from a hotspot on my phone succesfully when my internet was down for a few days. It wasn't ideal but even that only put games into the 100-150 ping range.

  • NMCKENMCKE Member Posts: 8,050
    Vortexas said:

    If you have UNSTABLE internet, an online competitive game isn't for you.

    Dead by Daylight is now competitive?
  • DarkWo1f997DarkWo1f997 Member Posts: 1,532
    edited October 2018
    Orion said:

    Yes. Get a better connection or stop playing online games when you know you can't.

    1GB upload, download scrub. Stfu 

    EDIT: this is not my post. Disregard. Don’t know why I’m getting notifications for it like it is. That’s really weird. Sorry. 
    Post edited by DarkWo1f997 on
  • franticpig29franticpig29 Member Posts: 102
    edited October 2018

    I have 24mbps download and 1mbps upload. Is my upload good enough to play killer?
    I had some survivors complain that they were lagging.

  • SeanzuSeanzu Member Posts: 6,744

    @DarkWo1f997 said:
    Orion said:

    Yes. Get a better connection or stop playing online games when you know you can't.

    1GB upload, download scrub. Stfu

    What has the speed got to do with anything? If the CONNECTION is bad it doesn't really matter how fast your internet is If it doesn't connect to the device you're playing the game on, Grow up.

  • DarkWo1f997DarkWo1f997 Member Posts: 1,532
    Vortexas said:

    If you have UNSTABLE internet, an online competitive game isn't for you.

    1GB upload download speed. Isn’t me buddy. 
  • palotheaspalotheas Member Posts: 116
    @Peanits
    I live on a campus too, and sometimes so many people are using the campus's network and my speed goes from about 50 up/down to 1 up/down. Sometimes I don't know about this until a survivor tells me they were lagging. Sometimes they even say they're 100% sure I was lag switching it gets so bad. Sort of a different question, but if it happens often enough that I'm worried I'll get banned.
  • SeanzuSeanzu Member Posts: 6,744

    @DarkWo1f997 said:
    Vortexas said:

    If you have UNSTABLE internet, an online competitive game isn't for you.

    1GB upload download speed. Isn’t me buddy. 

    So is BACKSTABBER your alt account then? You seem to be taking comments on someone else' post very personally.

  • DarkWo1f997DarkWo1f997 Member Posts: 1,532
    SenzuDuck said:

    @DarkWo1f997 said:
    Vortexas said:

    If you have UNSTABLE internet, an online competitive game isn't for you.

    1GB upload download speed. Isn’t me buddy. 

    So is BACKSTABBER your alt account then? You seem to be taking comments on someone else' post very personally.

    I don’t care for your conspiracy theories. I am correcting false information and nothing more. 
  • DarkWo1f997DarkWo1f997 Member Posts: 1,532
    SenzuDuck said:

    @DarkWo1f997 said:
    Vortexas said:

    If you have UNSTABLE internet, an online competitive game isn't for you.

    1GB upload download speed. Isn’t me buddy. 

    So is BACKSTABBER your alt account then? You seem to be taking comments on someone else' post very personally.

    Ah nevermind. I’m just hopelessly dumb and thought this was my post I made earlier with the footage of the game literally ending itself. I think there’s too much blonde in my family. 
  • DarkWo1f997DarkWo1f997 Member Posts: 1,532
    edited October 2018
    Thought this was my post due to a similar issue. I got out of the hospital a few days ago and this stuff is still in my system. Bare with me guys. Disregard my defensive replies. I am all kind of disoriented. 

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/26901/no-dc-bans-until-you-fix-this-innocent-players-on-the-line#latest

    Heres the post. I do have a very good internet speed. I have no idea what is causing this. 
  • OblitiryOblitiry Member Posts: 487
    Look. The greatest Internet in the whole fudging world cannot handle an entire dorm of people on the wifi. At least not consistently. Because the shear amonts of porn they're all watching etc.

    You're gonna have hiccups unfortunately. 
Sign In or Register to comment.