Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

Why is Undying 'hidden'? Shouldn't the hex be announced when activated?

2»

Comments

• Cable2486Cable2486 Member Posts: 249

Because it's not hexing you directly, so why should it tell you it's moved a hex? Even if it was after it's tripped by removing another hex, what you're REALLY asking for is an indicator that tells you if you need to/should keep looking for totems, or if it's safe to ignore the rest to work gens. That's asking for quite the advantageous handout, don't you think?

By this logic, Killers should be told if Survivors are running perks like dead hard and/or PT as soon as they become active, so they know who to avoid or down first. It removes part of the gamble that's supposed to raise and/or create tension.

• PleassBuiltInNoedPleassBuiltInNoed Member Posts: 618

its not a debuff, and honestly no hex perk should give you a notification that it has some effect on you, you should figure it out yourself

• kamisenkamisen Member Posts: 794

You know nothing of my motives, so you're essentially barking in the void. If you want to have a made-up discussion where you can be angry at survivors/killer, this place is not it.

I agree with the logic that the totem does not show because the hex is affecting the totems, not the survivors. That could very well be it.

Nonetheless, I think this solution is a bit non-intuitive for new players.

• blue4zionblue4zion Member Posts: 2,688

I actually agree for consistency, wouldn't like to see it when just passing a totem but for sure after it's revived a broken Hex

I think it's a slippery slope to compare killers and survivors: it's an asymmetrical game after all. It's easier if we look at mechanics and what they bring to the table in terms of gameplay/balance. We're not talking about killer perks, but about hex totems (Hex: Undying) and notifications.

• TsulanTsulan Member Posts: 12,967

Even more reason to give the supposed power role more information and not the supposed weaker role.

• dezzmontdezzmont Member Posts: 481
    edited December 2020

The main disadvantage of the power role is map presence and information though. Survivors are intentionally at an information advantage, even ignoring the existence of SWF.

That said, I don't agree that undying needs a nerf. A big problem overall with hexes is their output is very inconsistent and undying lets you remove the gamble of the hex for a relatively 'standard' effect at the cost of 'downgrading' your hex from a mega-efficient but risky 1 perk setup to an extremely powerful and consistent 2 perk setup. Killer perks should generally be more impactful than survivor perks, as undying-ruin requires the killer to make sacrifices on their loadout. Undying is actually at a really good spot as both a detection perk (Unlike other detection perks it doesn't completely obliterate stealth as a concept at certain points in the game, but its value is still consistent due to it defending totems 'weakly,' and you generally can assume some value out of it) and as a totem defending perk due to how it specifically only interacts with totems that you don't NEED to clear, but if you decide to clear them it doesn't make it impossible so much as take up a more consistent level of time.

The existence of undying-ruin as a super meta-combo more raises the question of if killers need more regression in their base kit (they do) than undying being too strong. It isn't unbalanced, but its such a huge difference maker in stalling the game that shows that killers sorta need more rewards for applying pressure. Perhaps a mini-pop in their base kit so kicking gens is more rewarding and survivors aren't able to do a gen under their nose 4v1 in certain areas with certain killers. Killers are sort of stuck right now with some necessary utility locked in perks, and while this isn't terrible (because different killer powers care about different things) the perk loadout hardcore biases to some detection utility and then ruin-undying, simply because its the most consistent regression combo at the moment but you can't actually nerf regression because its so vital at the moment.

• Dennis_van_eijkDennis_van_eijk Member Posts: 1,600

Best solution.

Touch a gen and let go, if ruin activates go look for it.

As long as the hex icon stays in your screen after cleansing a hex totem you know undying is still up.

There problem solved.

Next

• Cable2486Cable2486 Member Posts: 249

Strawmanning doesn't change anything. You're whining because you want to know it's there so you can hunt it down and not have to wonder. That much is evident. Given someone else said the same, more concisely, and you answered civilly, I have to assume you just don't like getting called out flat on your crap.

As to your "motives", they're pretty obvious. You're entire statement is questioning why you don't get a free handout via notification, which I answered, as well. The notification tied to hexes is intended to tell a player they've been cursed. As the player isn't directly cursed by Undying, it stands to reason there should be no indication of it's presence.

This means you 1) think it should tell you so you can actively hunt it down to stop it or, 2) want a heads up before you get too close to a totem so the killer can't use it's aura tracking to find you until it's too late. Both are nothing short of asking for a handicap.

• valvarez4valvarez4 Member Posts: 868

Don”t know why so many killers need to feel powerful in a video game

edited December 2020

@Cable2486 If you cannot be civil, please move on. It's as simple as that. And just because you say something is strawman doesn't make it so. You 're the one writing posts that revolves around motives that you have created, not me.

• TsulanTsulan Member Posts: 12,967

Indeed. Why should the 1vs4 role feel powerful. Makes no sense at all...