Home Discussions General Discussions
The 4.6.0 PTB is now available on Steam. For full details, click here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/231267

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, CLEANSE THE DAMN DULL TOTEMS!!!

TheClownIsKingTheClownIsKing Member Posts: 3,689
edited December 2020 in General Discussions

I’m really sick of the lack of grey matter between survivors heads since the introduction of Undying.

How many more mechanics/perks need to be introduced into this game before survivors stop ignoring dull totems?!

Here’s a typical summary of how dumbly frustrating a lot of my matches are since Undying:

• Test first gen to see if Ruin is in play. See how I and the other survivors go in doing repairs, and how well the killer can pressure gens before determining if Ruin is too much of a nuisance, and needs to be deliberately searched for.
  • Expect that Undying is most likely being used, cleanse dull totems as I go until finding a hex to reduce number of hex transfers.
  • Cleanse first hex I see. Yep, Ruin is still up, most likely because of Undying.
  • Continue to search and cleanse until I know from the count in my head that we are down to only 1 (or 2 totems left).
  • FIND A HEXED TOTEM IN PLAIN SIGHT, RIGHT NEXT TO/NEAR A COMPLETED GENERATOR!!!

So this was a dull totem the other survivors totally ignored, thus allowed an additional transfer of a hex because of Undying, thus contributing overall to additional wasted time.

Please, Zombie Jesus, stop ignoring dull totems when a hex is up!!! Until a hex is found cleanse the damn dull totems. That way at the very LEAST, if Undying isn’t found first, hex transfers are either LIMITED or DON’T OCCUR AT ALL!!!

Comments

• SunderMunSunderMun Member Posts: 2,137

I actually do this; I look around on my way to gens and from gens, but lately, especially on the graphically updated maps, I can honestly not see a single totem all game despite checking all the spots on my way to find generators.

• EleghostEleghost Member Posts: 817

I don't understand it. I've found hex totems next to generators that are almost done and the person will be repairing the generator on the side right next to the totem. I've had so many matches recently where no one will do gens or cleanse the ruin and only 2 generators will get done because i did them.

• whammigobambamwhammigobambam Member Posts: 805

Op, I would love to cleanse a totem but the amount of suicides on hook bc I'm on a totem has imprisoned me to gens and hook saves.

• TheClownIsKingTheClownIsKing Member Posts: 3,689

Ignoring ones in plain sight though is simply idiotic. Or any of the ones a player comes across while deliberately searching for a hex.

• CountVampyrCountVampyr Member Posts: 640

Let’s face it, people are useless, which is why I usually take it upon myself to be the one with small game and seek them out. Even if ruin or dying isn’t in play I still want them gone in case of NOED. Also, Huntress’ Lullaby eventually becomes a huge handicap that can’t be tolerated.

• GodDamn_AngelaGodDamn_Angela Member Posts: 1,910

It's really annoying when players don't do totems. Especially when it is a Hex Totem that's clearly visible.

Hell, I literally just did a match where the Killer had Devour Hope and got to 4 stacks. My Fiance and I looked everywhere for it and while I was being chased he found it next to a Completed Gen. A Gen that was the second last one to be completed and was worked by the other two survivors.

Not only that but one of them was hooked right next to it and was pulled off by the other after the Killer left (for that 4th stack), then they both (I'm assuming) worked on and finished the Gen. So it was already in effect but the other two Survivors decided not to cleanse it, for some reason.

• GingerBeardGingerBeard Member Posts: 99

I love cleansing totems, dull or not. As a solo it can do more harm than good however as @SunderMun already pointed out. That is why I believe cleansing a dull totem should give a subtle audio cue to other survivors. It doesn't bring solos on par with swf, but at least it would help me know if other teammates are running around looking for totems so I know if I should just stick on gens or waste time running around looking myself.

• KingFrostKingFrost Member Posts: 1,862

Dull Totems are a lot harder to see now. I try to do them when I see em', but I often don't see em'. Even when I run Small Game. (Which is often now because I keep running into NoED)

• GodLikeTerrorGodLikeTerror Member Posts: 293

I always do dull totems just in case noed comes in play. Because nobody else ever does them, so I just run detective's and inner strength, and just do totems when there is one by me. I've saved plenty of games that the killer had noed in, and he wasn't able to have it activated, because all of the totems were gone.

• FrekiFreki Member Posts: 1,772

AS others have said people don't want to touch 1000 point items because they can finish the game faster then wait another 10 minutes for another game. then they feel that they have the "RIGHT" to complain about killers bringing noed since totems are time wasters. I was doing totems and at the end of the game we got hit with what i thought was noed, i didn't see the name of what we got cursed with and it ended up being devour hope. but still it took all match to find the totem and we got it right at the end. still totems are WORTH it! cleanse them... that's 1K bloodpoints or 1.5K if it's a hex totem!

I would’ve thrown my controller across my room in a game like that.

• ALostPuppyALostPuppy Member Posts: 2,587

I'm not wasting time cleansing dull totems, survivors already waste enough time crouching round the edges of maps and staying as far away from gens as humanly possible, so any time I'm not on a gen or being chased is detrimental and guarantees a loss.

• NozNoz Member Posts: 24

I wonder why all the dbd streamers with thousands of hours never do totems. But I am sure you are correct to do totems, not like gens need to be done. Survivors have all the time in the world.

then NEVER complain about noed or undying. if you don't want to do your secondary objectives as a survivor you can stuff any ideas against noed or undying. why? because you decided you didn't care about a way to remove these perks and not cause them to affect anymore. you are part of the reason I and other people will take the extra perk slot and time to take to cleanse the totems just in case that happens.

• VexTheHexVexTheHex Member Posts: 549

Camping and tunneling Killers love Survivors doing dull totems, chests, or archive challenges. It gives them that time cushion for their cheap tactic to pay out.That's why people rush gens and ignore side stuff when they can.

• MeltingPenguinsMeltingPenguins Member Posts: 1,937

I never understand why people don't cleanse totems. Especially when the killer is 'afk'... I don't have enough fingers to count the matches where it turned out that: nope, killer's faking afk, they got noed and bloodwarden, and i'm the only one who got out cause everyone else been merrily dancing round the killer and ultimately got downed (either with noed cause i didn't find the last totem or because they panicked when the killer wasn't giving them easy points after all) and hooked and then got stuck due to bloodwarden.

As a friend once wrote it:

My name is Claud

I like to hide

And sneak around and heals provide.

And when I crouch and, there in stones

see candles lit: I cleanse the bones.

• GamerGirlFengGamerGirlFeng Member Posts: 219

I love hunting for bones! Sometimes (quite often honestly) it feels like there's not enough bones in a game for everyone. There are those games I get them alllllll to myself though, but I don't mind because I'm greedy with bones.

I have a saying and it's got two other itterations:

1) If it glows, it goes!

2) If it glows, it blows!

3) If it blows, it goes!

hehehe and if it's dry bones it's dust!

• bobcat946732bobcat946732 Member Posts: 851
    edited December 2020

I've seen some people say it's a waste of time but personally I find it a necessity in solo. In a SWF you can just ignore ruin since everyone will know whats going on and what gen is at what if you get chased off it.

The amount of times I've had a gen at 90 or so and get chased off by the killer only to come back and find it's at zero is heartbreaking. Most solo's don't stick on gens that hard as is so ruin is even more detrimental since they'll get chased off and lose what progress they did have as they do who knows what. Not only that but most solo's don't seem to know totem locations all that well either so they'll take ages looking for it themselves if they choose to.

If I'm solo and see ruin, I take a run around the map cleansing the totems I see and keeping an eye on what they're doing. Doubling up if possible to make sure a gen gets done if I see they started one. It only takes a minute to look for totems when you know their locations and it saves a lot more time then it loses.

In a perfect solo group where everyone knows what they're doing? Yeah you could ignore ruin but in normal solo queue it hurts more than it helps, at least from my experience.

I already made a point of saying IF a killer is keeping up enough PRESSURE that doing gens while RUIN is ACTIVE that THEN totems should be searched for. However, if someone KNOWS Ruin is active, and there is a dull totem right next to that gen, with Undying being as popular as it is, survivors SHOULD be cleansing dull totems they come across and clearly see.

• lagostalagosta Member Posts: 699

Well, there is another strategy that involves leaving totems up and goes as follow:

1-test Ruin.

2-Finish 1st gen and activate Detective's Hunch. Now you have a general location of all totems.

3-Go check the totem locations and activity until you found your second hex totem.

4-If Ruin (tested before) + another totem are lit, cleanse one.

5-Check dull totems + remaining totems and if any converted to a hex you cleansed ruin, else you cleansed undying.

6-Now you know the correct location For Ruin and Undying (if it still remains)

The main advantage of this strategy is that you cleanse at most 3 hex totems. and saved 28-42 seconds in cleansing time. It is decent even without detective's hunch bc some maps have amazing totem spawns and it is not possible to always find all 5 totem spawns.

• NozNoz Member Posts: 24

Until it gets to 90%, Killer chases you off, go down, get hooked, get saved, but by the time I get back to the gen it’s at 0%.

• SunderMunSunderMun Member Posts: 2,137

That it is, but that is not what is being suggested by many who just say 'just do bonez 4head' and certainly not the one I was replying to there. I'm almost certain is because they want survivors to throw games looking for them.

• ShirokinukatsukamiShirokinukatsukami Member Posts: 1,448

This is the problem actually.

Unless you're in SWF, Undying just breaks the game because solos can't coordinate properly to ensure they aren't wasting time and throwing the game. If everyone is doing totems and nobody is doing gens, you will lose If everyone is doing gens and nobody is doing totems you also lose.

One of the reasons why a totem counter is needed for survivors. The devs don't want to remove SWF, but are also hellbent not to bridge the info gap between SWF and Solo Q.