Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

The facecamping is getting really tiring now...

Comments

• sulaimansulaiman Member Posts: 2,669

Well, it doesnt often happen to me. But i often see the argument that thats mean its not as frequent as poeple claim, and since its not happening every game it doesn´t have to change.

• whammigobambamwhammigobambam Member Posts: 1,168

No they don't. They only come because they don't want to play gen simulator. If they never save the person match after match then the game dies.

• IronKnight55IronKnight55 Member Posts: 2,612

Face camping is when the killer is standing in front (or beside) of the hooked survivor. Most people know what face camping is. I don't mind killers camping during end game or if a survivor is looping the killer right beside of the hook. A killer face camping at the beginning with 5 gens left, though? That is BS...

• JayDoesGamesJayDoesGames Member Posts: 238
    edited January 2021

I notitced this shift in meta too. Camping and tunelling is rife, same with NOED. Killers dont try and pressure gens anymore, they just tunnel vision 1 survivor and lose the game.

There's many times I can be repairing a gen and the killer completely ignores me and keeps on tunnelling my friend. I play both sides, and this makes no sense to me. It has to be boring for sure. I've come to the conclusion that these players are just angry and bored.

• MugomboMugombo Member Posts: 509

What was it they actually did to try then? Cos if they tried then it clearly shows that even the devs agree it’s a problem, they just don’t have the idea to actually prevent it without causing other issues. And then they’ve just given up trying? That sounds like some great development skills.

• EquusEquus Member Posts: 314

I have no idear why you would camp that early since it is quite boring for the killer as well. Some nights all the facecampers seem to be out and that's when I switch on steve with camaraderie and tell my team I have this perk. I'll be hanging around a little longer (vibing to my music) while the team gets more gen time.

The real problem is in solo most people try saving which gives the killer more kills. It's crap for the hooked one but if we want to punish this the team needs to genrush. But to be fair I haven't been facecamped in over a month while I almost play daily.

No that’s not the real problem. How is trying to add a bit of excitement to an extremely dull game the problem. Imagine playing 5 games in a row where the killer facecamps, whether or not you’re the one that’s hooked, that’s 5 games of doing basically nothing other than holding m1. This is the kind of thing that makes people quit the game cos it’s so boring.

• Animal_MotherAnimal_Mother Member Posts: 149

This. People call anything camping if they get downed shortly after leaving the hook. I've been playing spirit and usually will leave the area after hooking and try to pressure all the nearest gens. If survivors get unhooked quickly while you're in the area, you can often phase-walk back, see the scratches, and down them again. Survivors shouldn't have the expectation that killers will see an easy target and pass up a free hook just because the person has already been hooked. The objective is to kill and win, not ensure some random survivor has a good time.

If survivors are so worried about being "tunneled", isn't that what DS is for? Why not practice and get better at looping? Why not just take one for the team, let your buddies finish the gens while you are getting camped or whatever? Some survivors have this cognitive distortion in their head of how the game should play out, and when they don't get what they want, they experience this big negative emotion and blame shift.

• Cable2486Cable2486 Member Posts: 249

You answered your own question. In short, it's the gen rushing, more often than not. It's become so out of control that the only method killers really have to slow things down is to take someone out of the equation as early as possible.

Now there's always going to be those players that will do things like facecamp regardless of anything else, so that's obviously not a perfect answer, but it's been my experience that those that camp with five or four left are trying to force the match to work at their pace. Of course, this is just my opinion.

• EquusEquus Member Posts: 314
    edited January 2021

In my experience there isn't a real problem I almost never see a real facecamp happen unless it is endgame and then I get the strategy. I've never had multiple games in a row where facecamping happens. If the team acts smart the killer only gets one kill + it is boring as hell so no sensible killer will keep this playstyle up forever. Proxycamping is something I see quite often but this just takes skill and knowing when is the best opportunity to get the save.

Edit: also trying to save when they facecamp gives the killer more kills + noone on gens so win-win situation. After the hooked person dies there has been nothing done and the killer can go hook and camp the next person.

Most of the time it’s not a huge problem and not that common, but just the other day I had 3 games in a row against a face camping bubba. With the queue times and loading that’s nearly an hour of my time wasted as it was extremely boring. First two games I did the gens and escaped, final game I just traded and let the camped guy out. After this I just opened up a different game cos what’s the point playing a game where you could literally do nothing for a whole hour

• StarshadwStarshadw Member Posts: 266

Just because something is "legit" doesn't means it's not toxic and poor sportsmanship.

In terms of possible mechanical solutions - implement a loss of bloodpoints if a Killer stays near a hooked survivor. That would help mitigate or even eliminate both facecamping and proxy camping, depending on the radius of the circle around the hooked survivor. If the player knew that standing there at the hook would cost them 100 bloodpoints every second, they'd be less likely to do so. Heck, they could do the same for slugged survivors - so a Killer who decides to facecamp/proxycamp a slugged survivor could suffer the same loss of bloodpoints.

There ARE possible mechanical solutions for most of the toxic behavior in the game, it's just a matter of whether the devs want to implement them.

• offwhiteknightoffwhiteknight Member Posts: 172

Now I play mid-rank mostly as a killer, but I don't think a lot of survivors understand their own roles in "camping" and "tunneling". Frequently, I've seen another survivor lurking near the hook as I hooked or as I turn to leave I see another survivor running in for the save already. That's not camping...that's looking for the other survivor I know is there. If he can't lead me away from the hook, I assume he's still there. This happens all the time.

Last night, playing Trapper, I had a flashlight aimed at my head in the first 20 seconds of the game. I had 1 trap set up. I hooked the survivor. Got body blocked by that same survivor with BT as I tried to go after the rescuer. He escaped, healed and came back with the flashlight. I dropped him, hooked him and did short patrols. I tunneled him when he was unhooked, left him on the ground for a while, then hooked him and he died. They lost because of his bad play but threw a tantrum in post game chat that I camped, tunneled, and was the worst killer ever. It warmed my heart to know that they were so upset with the outcome. Couple of games later I got called a great killer and told the game was a lot of fun. Wonder which one it is? Am I sh*t or great? Nothing about my play style changed between the two games. The survivors played very differently though.

• NicholasNicholas Member Posts: 1,844

That doesn't mean the door is closed on the topic. Developers often have to iterate on changes until they get it right.

• bknbkn Member Posts: 228
    edited January 2021

I am still waiting for all the "survivor mains" presenting footage of them 12 hooking every game, not camping/tunneling/slugging...

But they don´t, because they can´t. And as long as they don´t show us how its done different, its basically case closed.

• MoundshroudMoundshroud Member Posts: 4,460

Actually, that is exactly what it means. All a Player has to do to be a "good sport" is:

1. Don't cheat, either by hacks or lag spikes.
    2. Don't quit; if you start a game, finish it.
    3. Be humble in victory and gracious in defeat.

That's it. The word "toxic" has no meaning here because everyone tosses it around for whatever their personal hobby horse may be. Playing with the rules, is by definition, is meeting one of the plans of being a good sport. Your personal preferences have no bearing on this discussion.

• StarshadwStarshadw Member Posts: 266

Given the fact that it would be possible to implement similar mechanics to prevent survivor abuse, I would hope the devs would revisit the issue.

• bknbkn Member Posts: 228

the "issue" is not a problem of the game... its a problem of survivors not accepting how the game works. There is no problem to be solved.

• valvarez4valvarez4 Member Posts: 868

I’m tired too of campers and tunnelers. Probably it’s not a problem in North America, but it’s a very big problem in east Europe. I bought another game today and I’m leaving this game after 4.000 hours

• Thatgurl_againThatgurl_again Member Posts: 287

I wish these were complaints when a killer complains that a survivor didnt die fast enough or when survivors do gens, its the only thing they can do

• Thatgurl_againThatgurl_again Member Posts: 287

How did survivors abuse it tho? The killer is the one camping

In some cases you're right but not always. Many games have situations that one role engages in, but yet the developer will still remedy the player induced and created problem. The developers have already stated that face camping isn't ideal for either side but they've also stated that they don't think it's enough of a problem because the numbers aren't there.

• DamarusDamarus Member Posts: 599
    edited January 2021

I believe that survivors doing gens has nothing to do with a killer deciding that facecamping is the way. It has to do with the fact that he wants to have it easy, killing a survivor on the first hook, much like having old Mori available.

The easy solution would be to have the timer stop if the killer is in a certain range and not in chase. I can't see how that would be severely abusable. If the survivor being chased keeps looping close the the hooked guy, the timer will still go on (as I said, timer does not stop if in chase). If the killer chooses to stay there, he will gain nothing, as the timer will stop. If the survivor keeps going back and forth, not only will he be wasting time, he will also start a chase, and then another, and then another. This way, survivors will not get camped as easily, but killer who have to rely on camping because they aren't able to keep up can still do it.

That’s one of the most confidently incorrect posts I’ve seen on here, and there’s many bad ones

• DamarusDamarus Member Posts: 599
    edited January 2021

As much as something of what you are saying is actually true, you can only do so much with looping. Cheesy killers like Spirit, for instance, will get you even easier than other killers, who most of the time rely on bloodlust to catch you, refusing to destroy pallets to get more speed. You can be good at looping, it won't matter. Sooner or later, even because of bloodlust alone, the killer will get you. And if he took enough time to get you, he'll probably be so pissed that he will facecamp you. Happened to me a lot, I've recently been facecamped to death on first hook, by a Billy, for instance. Why? Just because it took him longer than it took for dinosaurs to be extinct. Sure, if I see a killer facecamping me I will try to give other survivors (I mostly play solo) more time to work on gens. But what do I get out of it? Videogames are meant to be played and playable, not something where you stare at a jack*ss who is so unskilled he will pick the easy way out.

What’s enough of a problem and how could they even get numbers on how many people camp? I personally know 2 people who stopped playing the game because camping just made the game too boring for them to play. How many other people have quit the game early because of this? If things like this which ruin the fun of the whole game weren’t possible imagine how much bigger the player base could have been?

• PiiFreePiiFree Member Posts: 1,155

From a totally non-biased point of view, I would say that these players are either tired and burned out of playing normally (for whatever reason) or they simply enjoy to play that way.

Being a "retired" Killer main, plenty of times I've thought; "GODDAMN, that was an annoying match! Next match I swear I will facecamp ANYONE caught!".

It's quite simple, bad experiences lead to bad behaviour - just like in RL.

• MoundshroudMoundshroud Member Posts: 4,460
    edited January 2021

Let me explain why my post is not incorrect. We all know the game. We SHOULD all know the rules. Players who are playing by the actual rules, are by default not behaving in an inappropriate way. If you don't like the rules of the game, find another one. The only people being "bad sports" are those who understand the rules but choose to ignore them and try to set their own unofficial rules, i.e. the Survivors Rulebook for Killers made famous on Samination. Trying to grief and shame people for playing by the rules simply because you can't handle it is the DEFINITION of being a BAD SPORT.

In short, your entire argument is backwards. People should worry less about what other Players are doing that is within the rules and MORE about what agency and choices they have to deal with it.

Who knows how they decide. The emblem tracks campers thus they can likely see the data. Camping isn't fun for either side, so I never do it. It is bad and they realize it but off memory, I believe they aren't seeing kill success rates high enough to worry.