Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

Am i the only one worried about the MMR system?

2»

Comments

• ShirokinukatsukamiShirokinukatsukami Member Posts: 1,624

I'm not saying throw you to the wolves on your first time with a killer. But certainly you don't need to fight low ranks who are still urban evading in corners self-caring.

How'd you learn anything from that?

• MooksMooks Member Posts: 9,683

The problem with current matchmaking isn’t only the fact that low and high ranks get matched together but that even with the same rank there is a wide range of skill. As many many people can confirm here on the forums, most red ranks are just not really good at this game (myself included). I shouldn’t get matched against and with that much higher skilled opponents/teammates as now.

• MoundshroudMoundshroud Member Posts: 4,460

Are they though? Are they really trying to do that? :) We don't know what they are doing, if anything.

• thesuicidefoxthesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,227

They are never going to accurately measure skill. At least when you see red ranks you know the person knows how to play the game.

• ChurchofPigChurchofPig Member Posts: 2,372

Honestly this time around I'm expecting to go up against newer players and if they even seem semi-new, I'm leaving them be (unless I'm playing Nurse then I'll just say "accurate"). It wouldn't be fair to them that their first killer to go against is Rank 1 with over 2k hours in the game (and that's just one of the platforms I own)

If that happened then the ranking system failed.

You are not supposed to get matched up with "EZPZ" games. You are supposed to match up with opponents of roughly the same winning ability as you.

I don't even know why BHVR has to make it so complicated. An extremely simple system similar to the old ranking system where you have a win/loss percentage score (where win for killer is 3-4 kills, loss is 0-2 kills and survivor is either escape or die) and the game using that as criteria for matching would be infinitely better and put people who are good at killing up against people who are good at surviving. Done.

Don't care if a lot of things go into how you kill or how you survive. It will fix itself. Those who keep surviving go up in ELO, those who keep killing go up in ELO. And those who can't go down, and fight against those who can't either. That's how just about every competitive sport in the world works. It makes so much simple sense but apparently it's too much sense for this game.

Yes, they are TRYING at least 😉

well, that also holds true for everyone that reaches green ranks... there is still way too much difference even for red ranks regarding skill.

• RattmanRattman Member Posts: 1,194

Just read that again. My point is to EZPZ ADEPT NURSE for a player who can't play as Nurse. Since, y'know, 20-th rank have less requirements for 2 pip. And, since I'am potato as Nurse, but still have 2k hours of game expirience, I have a good chance for adept.

Red Rankers know how to play, but there's a huge gap in skill in the red ranks on both sides.

I'm a red rank survivor but I consider myself average at this game at best. I know what a real red ranker is capable of and they can run most killers around consistently over and over. I can do the same if I positioned myself properly, but positioning is the hardest thing in this game.

A real red rank killer is amazing. They know exactly where you're going intuitively and make it look easy. They listen for your footsteps and you're breathing and know where you are even if they never saw you. Yet I go up against a lot of red rank killers who don't even turn around while they patrol -- something so basic that a good killer should do, they can't even do it so it's super easy to juke and sneak around them. So many of them will miss you if you just walk slowly up to a doorway or hedge and crouch, they walk right past and never see you.

The real deal is several leagues above that.

• AntrapaceAntrapace Member Posts: 246

I’m willing to wager right now that this post will end in one of the following ways.

1. moved to feedback as stated above
    2. THREAD CLOSED because of “reasons”
    3. Silenced and never to be see again, almost as if Agent 47 has been here!
  • AntrapaceAntrapace Member Posts: 246

This is so very true, I’m a rank 1 killer and survivor, fairly average at the game though. I’ve come across those elite players you mention on both sides and they are clearly in another league of their own.

The current ranking (progression) system is very bad, their new system is heavily flawed and not much use either, their last experiment with it showed that as clear as day.

I wish they would stop trying to reinvent the wheel and use an ELO system or something similar like the majority of all other games out there.

Its almost as if they purposely go out of their way to make life difficult for us and themselves.

• Sunbreaker7Sunbreaker7 Member Posts: 580

Well last time I had to go through MMR hell, I wanted to uninstall the game and quit DBD. Which I did, but when things got better I came back. This time... We will see.

• noctis129noctis129 Member Posts: 963

No, they are eliminating ranks entirely from matchmaking. They are implementing skill base matchmaking.

What I'm saying is a person's skill should reflect on their rank.

Instead everyone will go back to rank 20 every month.

• RydogRydog Member Posts: 3,203

If everyone's MMR number is not clearly displayed (even if it is just on the post-match screen), this will be worthless, because it will not address the perception problem that rank is what influences the matchmaking algorithm.

99.99% of players do not read these forums, and it should be assumed that they also don't read patch notes or in-game news. They won't even know something is different unless you communicate to them clearly, in-game, that there is another number that matters. Otherwise, they will just keep going "What the hell, I'm rank 17 and I keep getting matched with rank 3 people, this game is broken."

Also, I kiiiiiiiiiiiinda think that it is just blanket confusing to have two different numbers. Just have one number that governs all this stuff, or at least make them correlate. Hearthstone, for example, hides its MMR but still still matchmakes within the same season rank band.

Yeah, and there will then be another (hidden) rank.

so current rank and emblem system will still reflect the same thing with emblems etc and will reward bloodpoints and the new rank should reflect skill and will be used for matchmaking.

• shaloshalo Member Posts: 1,012

I wouldn't be too worried, the Dev Update says it's coming "in the near future", in BVHR terms that's sometime between now and the end of time.

• Mr_KMr_K Member Posts: 7,423

The main issue the Devs are making with the MMR system is separate rankings per killer.

I can play one killer only, never touching another, play for thousands of hours, and one day try playing Wraith and get a set of survivors who will uninstall after the match.

• DemonDaddyDemonDaddy Member Posts: 3,297

I think the devs have covered up the issues of rank and MMR quite nicely. now with the rank resets we'll have rainbow ranks all the time and any complaints about MMR mismatching will be swept away.

• VolczVolcz Member Posts: 645
    edited January 2021

I'm not sure worried is the right word for me, but am I worried? Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3zABFuuKzQ

They already explained that killers that you have no experience on will not start at zero but be give something like an average score of your already ranked killers.

• SnakeSound222SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467

The only good thing is that Adepts will be easier (rank resets you to 20 where the requirements are easier and each Killer has a separate rank, no more having to get four Iridescents against red rank Survivors). That's it.

They could also be playing the PS5 version where you have earn all the trophies over again. I've seen players with only 20 hours and 5 trophies on the PS5 version but 2000 and the platinum trophy on the PS4. If you're on PS5 you can check profiles to see which version that person's playing on (PS4 apparently isn't counted a different platform for some reason, and you can view that player's profile normally).

• OniWantsYourMacaroniOniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,795

At least when you see red ranks you know the person knows how to play the game.

Honestly the funniest thing i've read so far.

Even red ranks is full of players that are absolutely terrible at the game and have like 0 knowledge about the game whatsoever.

-Pig players that just tunnel the trapped survivor

-a wraith with ruin+undying that chases me for 5 gens

-a doctor falling for the worst window vault bait ever

-a meg that selfcares while being infected

-a cheryl actually running away from pallets and windows

The list goes on...

• SunderMunSunderMun Member Posts: 2,791
    edited January 2021

It can't be any worse than it was the first time, and tbh, matchmaking has been just as bad in the few games I've played the last week or so.

Fact is, though, that we don't know how they factor a 'win' or 'loss' using the MMR system; if it's straight survive/die, 4k/otherwise, it'll be pointless.

• ALostPuppyALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398

No. That is absolutely not how MMR should work. In every other game that has a per-character MMR, there's sort of an average across every character that will go up the more characters you rank up with. If every character started at 0 that would be INCREDIBLY dumb because as the other guy said before, your killer fundamentals don't change and you can still do fine in the game with every killer despite not playing them. If you are, say, a high-rank GhostFace and you've never played Myers before but suddenly start playing him, you're not gonna do much worse with him, so if you got matched against babies that's completely unfair and basically smurfing (or rather it's what people would use it for if MMR started at 0 with every killer).

• DistortedDreamDistortedDream Member Posts: 671

I don't really have high hopes for the new MMR system. I have a feeling that it's not going to work.

• PepsidotPepsidot Member Posts: 1,293

I'm worried but also excited. I want a challenging killer and good survivors. Hopefully it WORKS this time though.

• thesuicidefoxthesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,227
    edited January 2021

Have you seen a rank 20 play? I have 2 smurfs and it's literally painful. As bad as some red rank players are they know to do gens and make saves and to run from the killer. How well they do it is another thing, but rank 20's have literally no clue what to do at all. Red rank killers also know what a loop is and won't just wander off thinking you've wandered off.

A rank 1 fish will probably get caught on a hook because they are not too bright. A rank 20 fish will just jump out of the water and onto your boat.

• OniWantsYourMacaroniOniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,795

Hmm,i guess most of them would be green or yellow ranks then.

They might have a very basic understanding of the game but that's about it.

• The_Bootie_GorgonThe_Bootie_Gorgon Member Posts: 2,340

only 10% of the population should be in RR.

• WantToKnowWantToKnow Member Posts: 43

Yeah ur right, that should work better. I just dont want to face red rank swfs with a new killer ^^ what I did in the last days