Home Feedback Feedback and Suggestions
The 4.6.0 PTB is now available on Steam. For full details, click here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/231267

Real talk about the cosmetic store

Sunbreaker7Sunbreaker7 Member Posts: 386
edited January 14 in Feedback and Suggestions

For the amount of how much time I invest in Dead by Daylight, I would like nothing more than to continue to support it by buying more cosmetics. However, I have refused to buy much of its content outside licensed chapter DLCs, mainly because the practices I see used in the store do not align with my spending habits.

We sometimes see cosmetics go on sale for a cheap price but the price required to purchase the cosmetic is always above the minimum requirement of Auric Cells.

500 Auric Cells costs 5€. 1,100 Auric cells cost 10€. But guess how much the cosmetic on sale is priced at... 600-700 Auric Cells. So yeah, they force you to buy the 10€ pack, spending more than you should because of mind games.

Sure, you get to keep that excess Auric Cells for a later purchase, but the idea of having to spend 10€ when you only wish to spend 5€ is what is often holding me back.

I am not here to talk statistics whether this is more profitable for BHVR or not, we all know the answer, the question is, does it really hurt to offer us 5€ skins every now and then?

The prices of these skins are already outrageous, some going as high as 15€. Truth be told, many of DBD's skins aren't even that impressive from a design perspective, they are pretty generic clothing, aside from few outstanding designs here and there. Skins that clearly took no time and effort to design often start at a 10€ price point. Isn't this a bit too much?

What do you guys think about the cosmetic store in general? Do you agree with my statement, and if not, why? Let's discuss.

Post edited by MandyTalk on

Comments

• naughtyboyjamesnaughtyboyjames Member Posts: 700

Meh

• ChchchcherylChchchcheryl Member Posts: 1,163

My main issue is you can't look at outfit combinations without owning the majority of the outfit!

• chieften333chieften333 Member Posts: 1,554

Not to mention how you would have to farm about 80 hours worth of matches to get a purple outfit with shards.

The cosmetic grind is absolutely ridiculous.

• Aven_FallenAven_Fallen Member Posts: 7,758

Why do you call it "farming"? It is just playing the game. Sure, it takes a while, but this is expected, considering that the Cosmetics you buy via Shards are Cosmetics where BHVR does not get any money from.

• chieften333chieften333 Member Posts: 1,554
    edited January 14

The only cosmetics available for only shards are the two community designed ones in the store. The rest are either auric cell only, or available for shards and auric cells.

The purples are available for 10 dollars, which anyone with a job can make within an hour or two. Or there are some also available for 21,000 shards. Which as I said, will take roughly 80 hours of playtime.

The community outfits are worth roughly 7000 shards, which is one third of the time for BHVR designed outfits. It's odd how the ones BHVR can't make money from are much more reasonably priced in regards to the shard grind.

• Aven_FallenAven_Fallen Member Posts: 7,758

Yeah, but you did not answer my question. You are not "farming" aka only playing to get Shards, you are playing the game. Shards are something coming by while playing. You are not farming like in a game where you want to farm some items by killing some NPCs all the time.

And yes, personally I would rather spend 10 Euros for Cosmetics than saving Shards, but if I have the Shards, I can simply spend them. But I wont wait for a few weeks, just to not have to pay anything.

• indieeden7indieeden7 Member Posts: 1,879

Just in the last sale there were full purple outfits for 300 cells though

• TheRockstarKnightTheRockstarKnight Member Posts: 1,918

I just wish they'd have done more of those limited events where special collections of Auric Cell only outfits went on sale for Iridescent Shards; that felt like I was being rewarded for actively playing and accumulating enough Shards to get an outfit or outfit piece I wanted.

Those sales changed something - you could get an outfit for free or complete it for 5 bucks, but only if you'd been playing the game and saving up Shards.

• TheRockstarKnightTheRockstarKnight Member Posts: 1,918

Actually you can farm for Shards if you know how they're earned.

Just play Killer, smack a few people, and then tab out and AFK.

As long as the match lasts 10 minutes you'll get really close to the maximum possible amount of points towards Player Level - and by extension Iri Shards - all while doing chores, exercising, reading a book, watching makeup tutorials, practicing guitar, or whatever else you're inclined to do.

Which is the reason why I think they need to either adjust how you get Iridescent Shards or take a look at the way Player Level works.

• CaleegiCaleegi Member Posts: 208

I don't like how much you have to play to get 7500 shards and I don't like how many cosmetics and stuff you have to pay real money for. I don't mind there being some things to pay real money but now there is a lot of it...

• RoboMojoRoboMojo Member Posts: 225

The cosmetics are insanely overpriced but they'll never lessen the prices across the board because of that sweet sweet money.

• Sunbreaker7Sunbreaker7 Member Posts: 386

Well, that is exactly why I don't buy them. I know I am a minority here with my opinion but I like to vote with my wallet.