Home Discussions General Discussions
The 4.3.1 Bugfix Patch drops today. For release times and patch notes, click here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/201738

Purchase Spirit or Hag

Hi there,

I'm newby to the game and F2P all i can ( hello Canibal and Laura). As i'm quite near to the 9k iridescent shards the question is, what do you recommend me to purchase, Hag or Spirit?

I've been a fan of Hag when i only watched streamers, but as soon as i saw The Spirit, it resulted interesting to me as well. If you recommend me another killer, feel free to show me your thoughts, but let you impression on Hag vs Spirit too, please :).

Thanks for reading/answering and excuse me if my english is not that good. º/

Comments

• Dabrownman1812Dabrownman1812 Member Posts: 1,810

Hi there,

I'm newby to the game and F2P all i can ( hello Canibal and Laura). As i'm quite near to the 9k iridescent shards the question is, what do you recommend me to purchase, Hag or Spirit?

I've been a fan of Hag when i only watched streamers, but as soon as i saw The Spirit, it resulted interesting to me as well. If you recommend me another killer, feel free to show me your thoughts, but let you impression on Hag vs Spirit too, please :).

Up to you, spirit is better objectively than hag but hag has hex:ruin which you could get from the shrine. 
    Jack11803 said:

@Dabrownman1812 said:
    JhonwayneX said:

Hi there,

Up to you, spirit is better objectively than hag but hag has hex:ruin which you could get from the shrine. 

Hag is literally top tier right now, what are you smoking!?

Overrated since patch to be honest
  • The_CrusaderThe_Crusader Member Posts: 3,688
    edited October 2018
    Hag. Easier to use, better perks. Ruin is top tier. Devour hope....eh it doesnt last but will be fun that rare time it does.

Edit: or maybe Spirit. She's less annoying to go up against :lol: i shouldnt be encouraging 1 more hag player.
  • BrawlerBrawler Member Posts: 324
    Both top tier. I actually really like playing with the Spirit seeing that Survivors have no clue about countering her. Both have a high skill cap, but with the Spirit you have to listen to the environment, look at the scratchmarks etc. In my opinion you need a bit more experience if one wants to play the Spirit. 

Perks are good on both sides. Hex: Ruin is one of the most popular and most often used perks. Hex: Devour Hope can be really deadly. Third Seal rather used for slugging. 

Rancor good on its own. Haunted Ground perfect if you got at least one more Hex perk. Spirit Fury makes a strong combo with Enduring. 

You need to decide, I'd recommend the Spirit, as I find her gameplay a bit more interesting. Your choice. 
  • JhonwayneXJhonwayneX Member Posts: 7

@The_Crusader said:
    Hag. Easier to use, better perks. Ruin is top tier. Devour hope....eh it doesnt last but will be fun that rare time it does.

Edit: or maybe Spirit. She's less annoying to go up against :lol: i shouldnt be encouraging 1 more hag player.

Don't worry about that, i never main anything in any game :P

• BlueberryBlueberry Member Posts: 7,208

Both are on the higher skill cap side of things. I personally like spirit more because of her play style. Hag still feels a little campy to me and against a skilled swf they can counter you hard. I feel spirit is less easily countered against knowledgeable survivors.

• Jack11803Jack11803 Member Posts: 3,930

@Dabrownman1812 said:
    Jack11803 said:

@Dabrownman1812 said:

JhonwayneX said:

Hi there,

Hag is literally top tier right now, what are you smoking!?

Overrated since patch to be honest

I.... DISAGREE!

• PeasantPeasant Member Posts: 4,104

If you prefer to be on the offense, pick Spirit. If you want to lock down one side of the map, Hag.

• No_Cluie_LouisNo_Cluie_Louis Member Posts: 1,087

hag is top tier as many people have said but i play all the killers and in my opinion she can get boring to play, hence why you don't see many hags. I play spirit too and she's quite difficult to get used to (not as hard as nurse tho imo) but she's been really fun and good so far for me. They're both good though so good decision making so far

ok i see a roughly 50% :D. I appreciate the feedback. Keep giving your opinoins pals, is really appreciated

• BlueberryBlueberry Member Posts: 7,208

Just keep in mind that it may take a while to see good results with either. You mentioned you're new and they are both some of the harder killers to learn and get good with. Very rewarding if you do get good though!

@Blueberry said:
    Just keep in mind that it may take a while to see good results with either. You mentioned you're new and they are both some of the harder killers to learn and get good with. Very rewarding if you do get good though!

I'm very patient and i like challenges a lot, for example, i'm playing/learning Nurse right now ^^

Up to you, people keep saying spirit is low tier, just sheep man. Make your own opinion on what you want for fun. 
  • Soul_ConsumptionSoul_Consumption Member Posts: 68

The hag has better perks, but the spirit has some decent ones. I think the spirit is performing better than the hag. Both have good abilities, but the hag's is easier to play around. Urban Evasion is a fairly common perk, which reduces her ability a lot. I would say that the Spirit has a higher learning curve, but I enjoy both.

• SmokePotionSmokePotion Member Posts: 1,089
    edited October 2018

I play both in top tier ranking on playstation. It depends on what you want to do.

Hag is great if you know how survivors like to escape you, so you can trap the escapes before you initiate chases.

Hex Ruin is MASSIVELY overated for game stalling. At around rank 13ish survivors are smart enough to immediately hunt it off the map, and then you only have 3 perks for the trial. I don't run it, on anyone.

Spirit is my personal favorite though. As a hag, if a good survivor runs into an area you don't have trapped, you generally have to drop that chase. Spirit has the ability to put map pressure everywhere, chase a distraction to a corner of the map, and get back to put pressure on the gens. She can chase and mindgame really well.

But it's up to you, both are great. But the spirit is definately more new-killer friendly.

• MarknessMarkness Member Posts: 174

I'd go with hag, she has hex:ruin and she feels very reliable. I am in the red ranks as killer ATM and she cuts down 99 percent of the BS that other killers need to deal with since she can trap a loop and people will normally piss off afterwards. She can punish people super hard with MYC too... overall just a very solid killer. Spirit is also really good, but I'd pick up hag first.

• se05239se05239 Member Posts: 3,919

Spirit, all the way. Hag might have Ruin as a perk but you can get that one with luck from the Shrine.

• Greater_CultistGreater_Cultist Member Posts: 81

Get Hag, she's better and has better teachables.

• GrandkuramaGrandkurama Member Posts: 268
    Hag. Ruin is a must in higher ranks and spirit and she does a lot of map pressure. Spirit also require a lot of skill
  • Divinitye9Divinitye9 Member Posts: 392
    Honestly, it comes down to your play style. Do you prefer chasing and chopping? Do you like being able to zip around the map at will? If that sounds like your game, spirit is your lady.

Do you prefer setup and mind games? Not a big chaser and would rather foolish survivors do your work for you? Then the hag is your woman. 

This excludes perks, of course. I personally love the Hag as she requires more map knowledge and herding people around to let them give you an opportunity to take them out.  

It honestly comes down to how you prefer playing. Spirit mains have to master their stealth walk while Hags have to master where to trap that isn’t obvious. Both have glaring weaknesses and strengths. 

Pick what suits you. 
  • Mister_xDMister_xD Member Posts: 5,151

both are difficult killers, but hag is by far the less difficult of them. spirit needs you to mindgame very effectively, while hag needs you to get the right setup and also opens new paths to mindgames. for a newer player id recommend hag.

but since a killer also comes with 3 perks, there is another factor you need to think about:
    the hags perks are all 3 based on totems. these so called "Hex Perks" are destroyable and therefore not very strong. however, 2 of them really pay off if they survive long enough. while Hex: The Third Seal is just crap, both Hex: Ruin and Hex: Devour Hope can be veery strong. ruin is used to slow the game down, which will be needed in higher ranks (almost everyone runs ruin) and devour hope can allow you to insta kill survivors, once you've powered it up enough and it didnt get destroyed. its a high risk - high reward perk which can be eigther completely useless to you or carry your game all by itself.
    the spirits perks are all great to combine with other perks. rancor allows you to insta kill the obsession once the doors are powered, so its really good with a perk like "Remember Me", which requires your obsession to be dead in order to be used effectively. spirits fury can save you a lot of time when combined with enduring, and almost guarantee you a hit, once activated. Hex: Haunted Grounds is a "trap Hex", as it is the only perk that punishes survivors when they destroy one of its 2 hex totems by making them oneshot for a minute (all of them) its really great when combined with other hex perks, as no one can tell weather they are destroying the real totem or a fake totem. you see? both hag and spirit have great perks, but i still recommend you the hag, as she got one very needed perk for you: ruin.
    so all in all i can say that hag clearly won. i hope i could help you out and have a wonderful day!

• kucerkakucerka Member Posts: 105
    Well I had Hag luckily unlocked on PS4 so I actually bought Spirit, because she just seemed to be as an interesting killer to me (I played as survivor for about a year and half so basically Spirit was my first killer to try :D). And I must say it wasn't that hard to get used to her since I never played any other killer. I got rank 1 in less than 2/3 weeks. During this time I played few game as a Hag too and I dunno why, but I got bored very easily + I kinda didn't like the "low" profile of Hag's view.
    So I recommend Spirit. She's fun to play as, she has good perks to start with.
  • SteveyHoovesSteveyHooves Member Posts: 246
    To be honest play what you thinks more fun. I bought the spirit because she.... um... lightens up main menu boot the game up... that and het perks. The hags work great with with some of them. Playing the hag I can't stand so I'd get the spirit. Though you're not me. :smile: so going back get which you think is more fun
  • powerbatspowerbats Member Posts: 7,068

I absolutely love the Spirit, she's a blast to play with and the her mindgame potential is really good despite what some say. If done right you can mind game people into bad situations and her movement speed while phased is neat.

Wow, thanks a lot for the feedback!

For now conclusions i got (averagely) is that Hag is more top tier, more "campy", better perks and needs more map awareness and experience.

In the other hand, Spirit is a more aggresive one, more mind-games based, and nice perks, but not as good as Hag ones. It seems funnier to play too. If you fit in the aggresive play, of course.

I`m 3 levels off to get the 9k, and tbh, i don't know what to do yet :D. I like aggresive play, but i think i need more experience for it. I see easier camp 3 near generators than pew pew the survivors, as almost every time i do it, i get rekt. Camping strategy has much better results for me.

I guess in the long term, as i get more experience, Spirit fits more for me. But basing on the comments, i really think i should pick Hag. So again, i don't know what to do yet :D.

Again, thanks a lot for the feedback buddies.

For now conclusions i got (averagely) is that Hag is more top tier, more "campy", better perks and needs more map awareness and experience.

In the other hand, Spirit is a more aggresive one, more mind-games based, and nice perks, but not as good as Hag ones. It seems funnier to play too. If you fit in the aggresive play, of course.

I`m 3 levels off to get the 9k, and tbh, i don't know what to do yet :D. I like aggresive play, but i think i need more experience for it. I see easier camp 3 near generators than pew pew the survivors, as almost every time i do it, i get rekt. Camping strategy has much better results for me.

I guess in the long term, as i get more experience, Spirit fits more for me. But basing on the comments, i really think i should pick Hag. So again, i don't know what to do yet :D.

Np, hag is overrated and only works when survivors let her work. The spirit through mastery could have very little counterplay. I've played on console and pc, saw gameplay, no hag ever wiped a crew without one build while survivors played smart. Most survivors in high rank are there due to the change that allowed more survivors to be there due to lowered requirements.

The spirit has less counterplay as yes she loses sight but with stridor it doesn't matter if you stop running, she will find you. Iron will isn't common enough. Also. With sloppy butcher being meta the spirit can also track accurately with blood. 

The hag is overrated and spirit takes a lot of mechanical knowledge and requires you to anticipate survivors similar to nurse to use efficiently. Also due to the prayer beads buff, you can get many free generator pulls or totem pulls. The hag can mostly camp, survivors running through your traps as you carry a survivor to the hook means that with your slower movement speed, you have to reset. Also, flashlights destroy her traps. Even with rusty shackles. Most survivors do not use this trick which makes the hag get more kills due to survivor ignorance. Placing a trap at a loop is easily burned but most survivors with flashlights don't for some  reason.

Idk if you run doc, but doc is more consistent with nurses calling for 3 gen. Survivors can completely avoid her traps but they cannot avoid madness as easily. 
  • thekiller490490thekiller490490 Member Posts: 1,168
    For me they are both equally unique and difficult to play. Hag is slightly easier and more awarding, as hag awards preparation and prediction while Spirit has no preparation. Hag is high tier compared to spirit being mid tier. Hag takes time to learn but I recommend you go watch @spacecoconut 's how to hag videos and the main one. I have both and if I had a choice between spirit or hag against a good team I'd always go hag.