Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions
Reminder for Forum Users, please do not share codes here. This is something that is expressly against the rules of this forum.

I think we need a change in *what* chapters provide

The game, as it stands, seems to suffer quite a bit from how chapters are done. While a new survivor can be nice, killers often seem to suffer from a kind of 'variety fatigue'. This leads to the impression that the devs are out of ideas for killers and just throw things at the wall and sometimes don't wait to see what sticks.

Yet the seems to be this conviction that a chapter must provide a new killer and survivor (Ghostface, Bubba and Ash not withstanding) which leads to the aforementioned feeling of fatigue.

Maybe it'd be better if instead of creating whole new survivors and killers the perkpools of the current rosters are expanded and new characters are only brought in when polished fully.

For example: As nice as elodie or felix are, their perks could have very well been given to other characters like nea or jake without seeming off. Same goes for their respective killers. Sure, blight is a major lore character, but they could have pushed him back for a while cause... in a way him becoming blight has no real impact on anything (yet) so his perks, as well as the Twins' could have been giving to other killers where they'd fit canonically.

New lore can always come through new maps and be tied to old characters.

It might be better for the game.

Comments

• PhasmamainPhasmamain Member Posts: 10,087

Paragraph’s are only done for a new license. If one new non licensed survivor came out nobody would care

I’m fine with chapter’s because I play both sides so I have something to grind for for another while

• MeltingPenguinsMeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,438

That's... not the point I'm trying to make, thanks for missing it.

Survivors are a bit different but even having a new survivor to prestige gives people things to do otherwise they will quit due to boredom

As for killers they are needed to keep variety and for the people who don’t have a main yet to enjoy someone else. I do agree there needs to be more time to polish these but chapters as a whole aren’t a bad concept

First, sorry for being snappy.

Second: While I get that grinding gives people something to do, grinding like we have it is iirc commonly called 'endgame fatigue' meaning you reached a point in a game where you do X to get Y to do X (a little better) to get Y to do X... the issue with DbD is the entire game right now is endgame fatigue.

I'm not saying we don't need chapter as such. I'm saying that having them expand the rosters isn't necessary at bottom line. It might be better if chapters would be further apart and provide more: maps maybe, maybe even new game modes or questlines, who knows. But as it stands now the the last two chapters could have very well been just the perks put onto existing characters (what to do with the lore is up for debate, some like it, some don't, I think there was no need to tie it to the characters like this).

Problem is the lore and art team would be left with little to do. Making two killer cosmetics is much less time consuming than a whole new killer.

How so? Maps and cosmetics need both of these departments.

While true there is less work required.

Map lore is very scare and isn’t really noticed by a lot of the community and since cosmetics are working off a pre existing character there is less work required for models etc

• ukenickyukenicky Member Posts: 1,351

BHVR wants to make money I think that's the reason they do this chapter stuff the way they do.

Personally I would love it if they reworked really awful perks on both sides and made a plethora of QoL changes / put through things like the key rework and upcoming add on passes for certain killers and focused on fixing as many bug issues in a big like, fix update rather than forcing out a new chapter with a killer + survivor.

Like don't get me wrong, I know that new chapters are vitally important for the health of the game because they keep people interested. Without new content the content creators and streamers kind of lose interest as evidenced by the awkward and painful time in between chapters. I just really wish they'd prioritize making the game less of a buggy mess though like The Binding of Kin was a DISASTER and BHVR probably wants everyone to forget about how bad it was on rollout but I'm here to say don't forget.

We need CLEAN rollouts for new chapters and a game that functions. I'm not saying it should be perfect but extreme game breaking bugs and huge problems that somehow slip past development are kind of unacceptable.

On the question of money, one has to wonder: would the community really not be willing to pay for a questline chapter that would bring several cosmetics as reward?

Sure, cosmetics are more expensive than chapters, but that's the thing: wouldn't more people buy something if it'd provide more things thus increasing the gain at bottom line (economics are a mess)

• OrionbashOrionbash Member Posts: 697

Honestly I'd love a chapter or two of just new maps.