Home Dead by Daylight Forums Feedback Feedback and Suggestions

Idea: show to everyone how many totems are left

Comments

• crabby247crabby247 Member Posts: 58

I say no. I'm a solo survivor. I like the suspense of not knowing if the killer has noed and if all totems are cleansed. I always assume the killer has noed so I cleanse every totem I see. If I see one while being chased I will go back for it. Most games I do 3 and yet noed pops up at the end and someone gets downed. Like really guys? You couldn't do 2 totems between the 3 of you?! Totems are not hard to find or cleanse but many survivors ignore them. But when I see one of my teammates cleanse one it warms my heart. Haha

• MegaWaffleMegaWaffle Member Posts: 4,172

The game is too hard as a solo survivor can we somehow implement all perks baseline into anyone playing solo survivor? I would also like to see the solo survivor be notified of all actions taken on the map by other survivors. I think this would be a great way to have solo survivor players on par with SWF and I think it would really increase the enjoyment Killers get while playing the game too.

• DamarusDamarus Member Posts: 568

I had proposed the exact same thing, but you won't find much space for that, in a killer centric community. Killer mains keep saying survivors need to get nerfed and have more things to do, so them killers can always have a cheesy game, but will disagree with anything that would make survivors do something other than gens LOL Besides, the reasoning I see many doing here, @AnotherRandy especially, was the same I did. It is something a SWF group will always do, communicating about totems, especially now that NOED became the biggest no-skill perk in the entire game (and for those who will argue about that, NOED is an end-game perk, for those who were not able to kill survivors before they could finish gens). I always tell the friend I play with, when we play together, how many totems I've done. If devs confirmed they want to buff solo survivors to the point where they can know things a SWF group would know, because of communication, knowing how many totems are still up/have been destroyed seems to be only a matter of time.

• alivebydeadightalivebydeadight Member Posts: 1,559

@Brot said:
    How would the game change if everyone in the game would be able to see how many totems are left? It doesn't have to be shown all the time, but maybe you get a notification how many totems are left when you break one. As a solo survivor its very hard to be sure that all the totems are gone, swf players have a huge advantage when it comes to countering noed. As a solo survivor you waste a lot of time searching for totems which are possibly already gone, thats the reason why i don't go for totems at all when i play solo.

This would make totems as a secondary objective more attractive and it would slow the game down, which is very good for killers. As a downside it would make noed little bit weaker.

What do you guys think about that idea?

SWF would not need to tell others about the totems, but solo survivors NEED this

• DreamnomadDreamnomad Member Posts: 2,847

I would be okay with this honestly. It is information that a SWF team would have so it makes sense for solo players to have that information too. Plus it would give players incentive to break totems which slows the game down.

• DreamnomadDreamnomad Member Posts: 2,847

@crabby247 said:
    I say no. I'm a solo survivor. I like the suspense of not knowing if the killer has noed and if all totems are cleansed. I always assume the killer has noed so I cleanse every totem I see. If I see one while being chased I will go back for it. Most games I do 3 and yet noed pops up at the end and someone gets downed. Like really guys? You couldn't do 2 totems between the 3 of you?! Totems are not hard to find or cleanse but many survivors ignore them. But when I see one of my teammates cleanse one it warms my heart. Haha

Sounds like you should be supporting this idea. If the other survivors knew that you cleansed 3 totems and they run across one then they would be more inclined to break the totem.

• AnotherRandyAnotherRandy Member Posts: 274
    edited November 2018
    crabby247 said:

Well then, don't cry later if the game's balanced around swf and solo survivors get stomped to the ground ez. Trust, you wont have fun playing solo anymore. Swf is still strong and I'm pretty sure that nerfs will still be needed, but if devs keeps every nerf hitting survicors in global equal (solo and swf same), solo will be dead in competitive plays and absolute unfun 
  • KingBKingB Member Posts: 747
    No, the survivors already get too much when it comes to totems. They shouldn't get any notifications if they are impacted by one. 
  • crabby247crabby247 Member Posts: 58

AnotherRandy said:

Well then, don't cry later if the game's balanced around swf and solo survivors get stomped to the ground ez. Trust, you wont have fun playing solo anymore. Swf is still strong and I'm pretty sure that nerfs will still be needed, but if devs keeps every nerf hitting survicors in global equal (solo and swf same), solo will be dead in competitive plays and absolute unfun 

I won't be crying later. When they make changes I adapt. I LOVE this game. I still have a ton of fun and laughs even playing solo.

• RadiantRadiant Member Posts: 187
    They are just 5 totems, no need to do that even for solos.
  • Rebel_RavenRebel_Raven Member Posts: 1,776
    Radiant said:
    Unless you have haunted grounds, then there are 7. Knowing how many totems there are would reveal that instantly. 
    And that can screw up a totem build.
    Spirit = I ignore totems = nub surv runs happily to do totems
    edited November 2018
    Radiant said:
    Spirit = I ignore totems = nub surv runs happily to do totems
    What about a huntress with haunted grounds, devour hope, and noed?
    Or ruin?
    edited November 2018
    crabby247 said:

AnotherRandy said:

I won't be crying later. When they make changes I adapt. I LOVE this game. I still have a ton of fun and laughs even playing solo.

You will regret that. Sad, that so many people can't look forward multiple steps but only see what's currently infront of them.
    Currently, solo is okay-ish but swf strong af. If devs keep doing global survivor nerfs and the nerfing is hitting solos and swfs equal (in reality its hitting solos slightly more everytime, but let's just assume it's equal now) till to the point when swf is balanced so the average would be 2 escapes, what can you imagine what the escape rate in solo queue is? 0 escapes. It has to be that. It's pur logic. If you still think you "just adapt" then your delusional mate and I can't help you, I can't deal with illogical people. 

And in case you mean with "just adapt" that you don't care if you die or escape and just want to keep playing this game casually, in this case why are you discussion here in about balancing dbd for competitive playing? If you don't care about balance in high ranks then you shouldn't comment here tbh.
    Your trapped mate, I locked the corners. No way to escape with an excuse this time.
  • AssstheticAsssthetic Member Posts: 203

just buff small game to have that info

• Nos37Nos37 Member Posts: 2,455
    edited November 2018

@George_Soros said:
    If they release a new survivor perk that does that in next chapter, I'm fine with it: then you have to sacrifice a perk slot for this information. But for free? Noooooo. NOED is a decent perk, though not very good (too easy to counter), an ability like this would just toss it to the trash perk pit.

So SWF Squads can keep their advantage for free, but solo's have to pay a perk slot for it??

Edit: I think the best solution is to implement this and have it display at all times on the HUD, but it would only be visible on the HUD for Survivors whom did not join the lobby though Survive With Friends!

• George_SorosGeorge_Soros Member Posts: 2,270
    Nos37 said:

@George_Soros said:l
    If they release a new survivor perk that does that in next chapter, I'm fine with it: then you have to sacrifice a perk slot for this information. But for free? Noooooo. NOED is a decent perk, though not very good (too easy to counter), an ability like this would just toss it to the trash perk pit.

So SWF Squads can keep their advantage for free, but solo's have to pay a perk slot for it??

Edit: I think the best solution is to implement this and have it display at all times on the HUD, but it would only be visible on the HUD for Survivors whom did not join the lobby though Survive With Friends!

How about this then: a perk that shows how many totems have been cleansed, but a new killer perk that increases number of totems by, say, 1/2/3, possibly with some additional effect?
    Just bouncing ideas, not sure it would work. But I'm positive that there's no perfect way to limit the advantage of SWF while not nerfing soloes to the ground. Some steps can be (should be) done, but there will always be a big difference.
  • Nos37Nos37 Member Posts: 2,455
    edited November 2018

Don't forget the big picture, or grand scheme: buff solo Survivors by bridging the information gap between them and SWF + voice; then re-balance Killers accordingly.

If NOED gets hurt by this, then the devs have several options to re-balance it after:

• Buff the perk itself, including:

• NOED reassembles a cleansed/destroyed totem to act as the new anchor for NOED
      • NOED is no longer a hex perk
    • Change the way hex totems work

Post edited by Nos37 on
    Nos37 said:

@George_Soros said:

Yeah, people just don't get it 

@Radiant said:

but if your in solos, how would you know if all 5 totems are cleansed

• BigBubsBigBubs Member Posts: 1,131

Yeah , let every survivor see how many totems are left so they won't have to worry about NOED in the end.
    Bad idea.

@alivebydeadight said:

@Radiant said:

if i want to nullify a noed in advance, I usually go around the map: broken ones are pretty visible.
    time consuming but can be worth it.

@Radiant said:

Mate its useless to discuss here, some people are so dumb, it's ridiculous. They want that every single solo survivor runs around the map to watch out carefully about every totem. And destroyed totems are harder to see, so you need even waste more time to count all 5. Imagine all 4 solo survivors do that just to pretend noed. Guess what, noed wouldn't matter anymore at this point cuz it would be 4k. 
    People here can't balance the game.
  • White_OwlWhite_Owl Member Posts: 3,592
    edited November 2018

@Rebel_Raven said:
    Unless you have haunted grounds, then there are 7.

I don't know where you got this information, but it's not true. Totems are always 5.

White_Owl said:

@Rebel_Raven said:

I don't know where you got this information, but it's not true. Totems are always 5.

"Two trapped Hex Totems will spawn in the Trial."
    It reads like 2 extras will spawn. 
    If I'm wrong, then so be it.

@Radiant said:

@alivebydeadight said:

@Radiant said:

if i want to nullify a noed in advance, I usually go around the map: broken ones are pretty visible.
    time consuming but can be worth it.

THATS THE POINT, ffs TIME CONSUMING, that prevents survivors from doing gen rushing, just so no gens are done, and some survivors either have been hooked once or twice because of it

• MalakirMalakir Member Posts: 799
    No

As I always suggest, think before posting. Like probably the Deva do, and other devs for other games as well, think to an idea and imagine how can be abuse

Its an online game, if was offline okay but if its a PvP game, even if asymmetrical, think how people can abuse a mechanic. Because, guess what, its what people do in every single online (and offline) game
    Malakir said:
    No

As I always suggest, think before posting. Like probably the Deva do, and other devs for other games as well, think to an idea and imagine how can be abuse

Its an online game, if was offline okay but if its a PvP game, even if asymmetrical, think how people can abuse a mechanic. Because, guess what, its what people do in every single online (and offline) game
    Maybe you should think first lol. "Abuse" lmao there is nothing to abuse with that.
  • AerysAerys Member Posts: 179

Killers already have it rather rough as is once you get out of rank 10 - 20, and of the many aspects that are weak about them Totems are high up on that list. You have to realize that when you cleanse a Hex Totem you're destroying an entire perk from that Killer, that's one fourth of their power. Simply put, with how long it takes to cleanse a totem (14 seconds, with Thrill of the Hunt and 5 totems it's 18.2 seconds) they are rather vulnerable, especially when you can't exactly camp your Totem unless you're the Hag and even then if the Survivor has a brain they'll just crouch up to it.

If you were to show Survivors how many Totems are left by default this would weaken them even more and completely take the edge off them once they see that number hit zero. Survivors who might have been keeping an eye out for them despite them having all been cleansed would now stop looking and caring about them, and while that sounds like an obvious and positive thing from a logic standpoint it actually would negatively impact Killers.

I have my own ideas on how Totems could work better over at https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/29773/quick-fix-the-additional-objectives-that-are-totems if you want to take a look, an inane idea but one that would fix two issues in one fell swoop. I might even agree to your Totem counter if these changes were made as it would have some relevance in keeping track of them.

@Rebel_Raven said:
    White_Owl said:

@Rebel_Raven said:

"Two trapped Hex Totems will spawn in the Trial."
    It reads like 2 extras will spawn. 
    If I'm wrong, then so be it.

you are, it spawns two trapped totems, 5-2=3, 3 totems left for use, when the haunted grounds totem is cleansed the other totem disappears