Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

Which killer can defend a 3gen vs 4 healthy survivor?

TicTacTicTac Member Posts: 2,228

A 3gen is a strong tool to win as killer. Mostly its the survivors fault for letting it happen, but are there killers who can decide at the start of the game to hold a 3gen and never leave it?

Strong contender for this are territorial killer like trapper and hag. But can they really do it reliable?

Which perks would this killer have?

And how map dependant is this tactic?

Comments

• HectorBrandoHectorBrando Member Posts: 2,778

Pretty much every Killer can defend a 3gen if you manage to get all the pallets in that zone out. Obviusly Trapper, Hag and Doctor are very strong at that, stealth Killers can also defend them easily for they usually get a free first hit or at least a very fast first hit but overall almost every Killer has an easy time during a 3gen.

3gen is very map dependant, there are some maps with several very strong 3gen openings, Azarovs, Suffocation and Sanctum of Wrath are the most obvious examples, others are Coal Tower (main gen and 2 gens at each side of main building), Family Residence (main gen and 2 gens at each side and maybe another one at the northern L shaped corner of the map), Grave of Glendale (saloon, center gen, gallows gen or gen at corner, center gen and saloon), Ormond usually has several 3gen openings, Pale Rose (boat, shack, corner on edge of map or pier gen, and gens both north and south of pier+shack), Grim Pantry (pier with 2 gens, shack and gen outside of shack or 1 on pier, 2 outside of shack 1 near the pier), certain variations of Rancid Abatoir and Torment Creek and there are some more easily 3geneable maps but not as obvious or prevalent as those.

On the other hand Mother's Dwelling, Temple of Purgation, Rotten Fields, Fractured Cowshed, Gas Heaven, Blood Lodge and Shelter Woods (this one doesnt matter for its heavily Killer sided) are either impossible or extremely rare to have a decent 3gen opening, maybe you can manage to get a long lane of gens or 2 very close but isolated gens and thats it.

Special Mention: Haddonfield can be "3geneable" if you play a stealth Killer and enough inside gens spawn and for they are relatively close and Survivors cant see you coming so you get very easy first hits or downs, if not stealth they will ran away or just use the houses windows.

• UnentitledBunnyManUnentitledBunnyMan Member Posts: 313

Nurse , spirit. If u can't hook then u can't defend

• TicTacTicTac Member Posts: 2,228

But with Ruin you would need to be lucky. If it doesnt spawn near your 3gen it will be gone.

• GoodBoyKaruGoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 20,592

Honestly it's possible in some matches to have ruin last a long time. Even if it doesn't spawn in your 3gen if the survivors don't see it as a major priority they won't cleanse it until its too late. Also, killers like Nurse or Spirit can get over to their totem easily, and technically every gen is a 3gen with freddy because ✨teleport✨

• KingFrostKingFrost Member Posts: 3,014

Depends on a lot of factors.

How close are the generators? I've seen some truly nasty three gens, that survivors would never be able to complete.

How much progress do they have? If they're all at 0-20%, then it's pretty doable with most killers as long as they're reasonably close. (Maybe even easy if they're all within LOS)

How many hook states have you went through? If someone's on death hook, it's much easier than if everyone's on their first hook, or hasn't been hooked yet.

Pretty much all killers can turn things around. But there's a lot of factors at play.

• Harold_ShipmanHarold_Shipman Member Posts: 737

How close are they? A very close 3 gen can be a death sentence against Myers and I'd imagine Bubba.

• Mr_KMr_K Member Posts: 7,834

Depends on the survivors and how close the gens are.

If its the Swamp map with two gens on the dock and the third a few meters away, gg.

If they are decently spread out, two survivors each on gens 1 and 3. Run away the moment the killers comes towards you. Run back the moment they head towards the other gen. No killer can keep up with this. They can delay it some but one gen will get done.

Its a bad play from the survivor if they would decide to push the 3gen instead of cleansing the totem and no killer can win the game if one survivor harrasses the totem and the other three do gens. They can start clransing and always run away and if the killer commits the last gen is done.

Freddy can pressure every gen. But only one. His cooldown is too long, so he cannot defend 3 gens against 4 survivor. Survivor get a headstart anyway when they see his teleport.

• KirkyladKirkylad Member Posts: 1,927

Nurse and hag are probs the best at holding the 3 gen. hag doesn't really need perks just lay down your web and watch them fall. Nurse however just stick infectious fright on and create a group of slugs around your 3 gen for the win.

• BrokenbonesBrokenbones Member Posts: 4,307

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Bubba here

If you have 3 gens all close and the survivors have exhausted their resources (mainly pallets) then they are going down extremely quickly and giving you more pressure

• gibblywibblywoogibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,773

Yeah, outside of them all being dead on hook, which happens to me sometimes as I try to spread them out as much as possible, you're in the loss phase of the match. There's still a chance for a turnaround but not if the survivors play smart.

• th3th3 Member Posts: 1,713

Any area control killer is likely to succeed. However it’s important to note the different variables which will change how it plays out. If you have a 3 gen with minimal to no hooks you will most likely not win since 3 gens aren’t sustainable.

• cannonballBcannonballB Member Posts: 366

This is funny, I was going to say Freddy would be one of the best if not the best. My secondary is freddy (main is deathslinger) and Ive only lost a 3gen once or twice. 3genning is my standard defense.

Hag: pop her traps the moment she turns away. The other two on the far gen will appreciate the time.

Nurse: She has a cooldown now. Even before that, all survivors need to do is run when she comes close.

Closest you can get is a Spirit or a lucky Billy chainsaw and slugging. This comes down to the skill of the survivors to pay attention.

You cannot pressure both sides at once. Two people on a gen is 47s. Any time chasing survivors off one gen gives that time to the other two.

• JasmineDragonJasmineDragon Member Posts: 372

literally all of them. Thats why a 3 gen is so brutal. They will waste their resources, they will start making mistakes, you WILL eventually get a down, then the snow ball just happens, thats it. Plague with a ruin still in play is really fun though for a favorite

Depends how good you are with them. If you 3 gen yourself against a good nurse it's GG.

Skill of the Nurse doesn't play out as much as you think. Even with range addons, survivors that pre-run cannot be caught in two blinks. Giving more time to the other two.

You have to do the gens eventually or you're stuck in the match. But in my 4 years of playing this game a decent nurse will either destroy everyone when a 3 gen presents itself or hold it till the end of time.

Yh but they cant do it from the start, right? Otherwise killers would always play with a 3gen-strat. The survivor need to allow a 3gen or not?

• Patrick1088Patrick1088 Member Posts: 621

If no survivors are sacrificed by the time you have a 3 gen its essentially a loss. So have NOED and go crazy lol

However if you have a strong 3 gen and at least 1 survivor is gone, then you have a chance. I love Doctor. His TR will hit all survivors in the 3gen zone. I do like PGTW and Oppression for this. PGTW causes immediate 25% regression on top of causing other 2 gens to either start regressing or cause difficult skill checks on top of madness checks. Time to snap out of it will cause gens to regress enough to start cycle again. Ive held multiple games hostage because of this.

Also Twins are great at 3-4gen. You can set up Victor at the far one and then have Charlotte patrol the 2 gens (so much easier to defend). You can pair it with PGTW and Oppression again. Slug some survivors and it could be easy .

• edgarpoopedgarpoop Member Posts: 5,835

Technically none if the survivors are super coordinated, position well, ruj to the correct places after being hit, and take it slow. I've seen 3 high level survivors break a 3 gen before against a 5000 hr Nurse.

It really depends on what type of survivors we're talking about here. The type that you're likely to run into every day? Pretty much every killer can do it by being smart. Four solos will mess it up at some point if they have to stay tight strategically for longer than 30 seconds.

• Exerath1992Exerath1992 Member Posts: 1,035
    edited March 2021

Assuming you mean a close together 3 gen:

Billy, hag, spirit, nurse, legion, blight, freddy and twins

especially if they have discordance and tinkerer

• ich_häng_mal_rumich_häng_mal_rum Member Posts: 429
    edited March 2021

My favorite killer for 3gen is trapper. With a bag and honing stone addons, have all traps in the 3gen area is amazing. For perks I prefer:

• corrupte intervention
    • dragons grip
    • pop
    • hunted grounds/ noed as backup or agitation or myc

But I think this setting works very well on hag, billy, bubba, shape, ghostface too.

• HellDescentHellDescent Member Posts: 4,506

If the survivors are good and there is 4 of them no killer can defend a 3 gen, provided there is no ruin. Especially if it's early game

• ShamelessPigMainShamelessPigMain Member Posts: 1,843

Doctor is the king of this. Madness directly interferes with the progress of generators, and the only way to solve it is to leave the terror radius. It's a catch 22.

• whammigobambamwhammigobambam Member Posts: 1,173

If 4 healthy survivors made it that far then they are smart enough to get the last gen against any killer. If you insist on trying, Plague could probably get it or a one shot killer.

• Leachy_JrLeachy_Jr Member Posts: 1,922

play twins and turn it into a 2 gen strat by parking vic near one of the gens :)

• DragonMasterDarrenDragonMasterDarren Member Posts: 2,273

Demo depending on the distance and map can be added to that list