Home Technical Issues
We're currently investigating an issue impacting rank resets on all platforms. Thank you for your patience and stay tuned for more info!

Stuttering when using controller and keyboard/mouse at the same time

noonespecialnoonespecial Member Posts: 5
edited March 30 in Technical Issues

I'm aware that this might be a very rare problem because no one ever uses a controller and keyboard/mouse at the same time, right? Right. Except me. I usually play with my Xbox controller on PC, but since I suck at flashlight aiming I use to quickly grab my mouse in those situations. Same with struggling. I suck at bashing buttons on my controller so I use the keyboard—while moving the camera with the controller stick. With the new update, that causes awful stuttering. It seems like the keyboard/mouse input suddenly interrupts the controller input. Before the update, using both worked perfectly fine.

Is there any way to fix this at my end? Except getting better at aiming/struggling with my controller? Or is there any chance you could fix this?

Platform: PC; OS: Win 10

Comments

• KhaineGBKhaineGB Member, Mod Posts: 6,398

I doubt this is gonna get looked into tbh. The game is designed for one control method or the other, not both.

• MondhirschMondhirsch Member Posts: 30

This has to be fixed, can't play the game otherwise :(

On another thread, apparently it's being looked into.

But seriously people, pick one or the other.

Some people have to play like this cause of an disability.

My problem is that i really can't handle and stand playing with Keyboard but controlling the camera with a controller is horrible (like aim with a Flashlight or with Hatches on controller, it's ridiculously).

That's why Gamepad (instead of Keyboard) + Mouse is an awesome option. I really can't play this game anymore otherwise.

• cricketscornercricketscorner Member Posts: 656

I'm actually having the same issue lol

• RyuzakiRyuzaki Member Posts: 510

This post upsets me. People with disabilities use two different control methods simultaneously to play this game due to their condition.

• zompzomp Member Posts: 12

It worked fine before the last update so it really should be fixed. If not, I simply can't play anymore.

• zompzomp Member Posts: 12

I've been using the Gamepad+Mouse playstyle since day one. I've been playing this game since it's first release over five years ago. There has never been a problem using both up until the latest update.

• BabyTumTumsBabyTumTums Member Posts: 5

Its not about "picking one or the other" if you even touch your mouse say to use a push to talk feature perhaps it drops your fps to below 10 and this only started happening since the update. Its hilarious though that you're a mod saying something like that. Very fitting for how entitled and toxic this community is. But seriously BHVR can you just for once PLEASE release an update that doesn't BREAK THE GAME!!!

Right, apparently it's being looked into.

As for push to talk, you can use Joy2Key to bind your push to talk key to a controller input.

Hey Guys, I found a method that helps a little bit against the stuttering.

To make sure: this DOESN'T solve the Problem, it just helps to make the game a little bit playable again as Survivor.

It seems that the game gets over the 60 FPS cap since the recent Update (you can see it in the menu on the campfire or in the symbol animations inside the Bloodweb).

So if you have a Nvidia-Graphics Card you can lock the max. FPS-Cap to 60 FPS for DeadByDaylight.exe in Nvidia-Control-Panel.

This helps against like 30% of the stuttering. Playing Survivor is with this method a little bit possible again. Playing Killer is still not.

~ Hope the Devs solve the Controller+Mouse-Bug and the Framerate-Bug soon, so the stuttering ends completely ~

They haven't mentioned it in today's Patchnotes, great :/

That's surprising. I would've thought that'd be high on the list.

Yeah me too :( I'm so sad now.

• RyuzakiRyuzaki Member Posts: 510
    edited May 4

As taken from 4.7.0 patch notes:

"Fixed an issue where performance drops could happen when having a gamepad plugged while using a keyboard and mouse."

I'm still having issues :(...

Post edited by Ryuzaki on
  • DevonC97DevonC97 Member Posts: 8

I'm still having issues too :(

Ok, so still not fixed. Will do some poking

• disgustdisgust Member Posts: 3

still a complete mess

• PlaysByShadyPlaysByShady Member Posts: 169

Pick one or the other??

Like mouse and keyboard?? Why not pick one or the other, i.e. just play with mouse or keyboard? How dare anyone choose to mix & match input devices to suit their own needs... particularly when it worked absolutely fine for years without issue.

You do realise controllers basically emulate mouse AND keyboard, right? Like one half is basically your WASD, ctrl, shift, etc and the other is the mouse, then you've got triggers for left click/right click, etc...

Err, no they don't. WASD only provides for 8-degrees of movement, whereas the controller's stick provides for much more. I can make smooth turns/arcs with controller than you can't with keyboard.

Also controllers allow multiple features to be bound to triggers depending on how far they're pressed... e.g. I can configure my trigger so a slight press will trigger crouching, and full press triggers running - which means I only need to use two fingers for movement; one for direction, and the other for speed. You can't do that with keyboard!

And I think you also missed my point that mouse and keyboard is also a choice of combining inputs from two separate distinct devices. There's nothing inherent about one that necessitates the use of the other (despite the fact that they're commonly used together for reasons outside of gaming).

You could go full keyboard and use the arrow keys to look around and replace the mouse. But people choose to use the mouse here because it offers more precision, etc.

And in much the same way, other players - myself included - replace the keyboard with controller input because it offers more precision, comfort, etc.

My point was to say "pick one or the other", your "one" was already a combination of two unrelated HIDs.

edited May 15

Controller isn't more precise at all. This has been confirmed by several studies. It's why if you put FPS players using KB/M vs Controller, the controller users will get destroyed. Same reason high hz matters as well. Won't argue the comfort, it can definitely be more comfy, but it is NOT more precise. At all.

And as far as games are concerned, from a programming perspective, keyboard/mouse are essentially considered one device, just like a controller is.

Example. When i'm programming in unity, I can use Input.GetKey to reference the keyboard OR the mouse. The controller needs different code.

edited May 15

OK, what you've done here is constructed a straw man... you've not read/understood what I've said, but instead you're projecting your own supposition of what I'm might be saying and answered that. The problem being that if you fail to understand the problem, then you're unable to provide any support, etc.

Controllers ARE more precise than keyboards. You're quite simply wrong here.

Keyboards only provides 8 degrees of movement - that's mathematically provable, it's just every possible movement combination, i.e. up, up-left, left, down-left, down, down-right, right, up-right. There is no other direction possible.

Controllers provide much more than this; depending on how many degrees of movement it's sensitive to (and it's sensitive to less than 45-degrees which makes it more precise for movement direction than a keyboard). You can run in a smooth circle with a controller, you could only run in an octagon with a keyboard at best.

So I will say that - from a mathematical perspective - a controller is definitely, 100%, without any shadow of a doubt, IS more precise than a keyboard! And I challenge you to bring forth any study that suggests otherwise.

As for whether this precision translates into a competitive advantage in game, etc, that's completely separate point that no-one is arguing, not to mention you're conflating separate points here too. The kb/m players will destroy a controller player, not because of the keyboard... but because of the mouse precision! Which is also the reason why some of us prefer to use a mouse for the camera controller rather than a joystick because a mouse offers precise aim whereas a stick can only offer directional movement (which makes it fine for running direction, but crappy for aiming)! For your "study" to have any relevance, you'd have to compare kb/m players with controller/mouse players to see whether the keyboard does offer a competitive difference overall. But again, no-one is arguing that.

I mean, you really didn't have to put too much thought in to realise the fallacy of your argument here... how many kb/m players do you know who aim with the keyboard? I really want to see this community of kb/m players who use the kb to aim that are destroying controller players, lol.

I can also tell you thought that, having mapped my left stick to simulate wasd (thank you, Steam), the movement is definitely less precise! I find myself running into things that I could previously smoothly glide around.

As far as the programming perspective goes, again I've no idea of the relevance of that here? This is not something we're asking to be added into the game. This is something that was already in the game, worked perfectly for years, and has been broken to the point of being unusable in a single update. It doesn't appear to be deliberate given a subsequent patch note advising that it might be fixed. We're just asking for the resolution to be forthcoming swiftly as it makes the game very difficult to play otherwise.

Also - as a software dev with 20+ of experience - a smart programmer would simply use a fascade. So rather than testing if the player hit M1, or spacebar, etc... you just test whether they hit an 'action' button, and in the fascade you'd test for the inputs. It's not a big job at all. And the reason Unity etc provide native support for kb/m is because you can always expect for those to be attached and available as inputs. They are a standard... a keyboard will always have a specific keyset, a mouse will always provide position data, and the inputs are natively understood by OS (so long as you have the right locale selected for your kb, etc). To my understanding, there is no standard controller input.

My advice is to take a step back... take a deep breath, and just realise that there are other ways than the single narrow one you've chosen to focus on. You don't have to try and "win" this (because you can't...). All you need to do is understand and recognise that there are people who prefer to switch out WASD and a combination of separate keys for running/crouching/etc for controller because it's easier and more precise (there, I said it).