Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

Why does Deathslinger get so much hate?

Personally, I LOVE facing him, he is a very balanced killer and personally he is challenging to face if the killer knows how to play him well, which is what I like. He can be counters by three ways, Dodging his gun the best you can, or staying behind high walls, or throwing pallets early if he right up to you trying to shoot you at a loop. To all you desthslinger mains out there tell me your most salty experience by a survivor when getting a 4K with him.

Comments

• WishIcouldmainWishIcouldmain Member Posts: 3,894
    edited April 2021

His 1 v 1 is great but he has no mobility. A map with lots of pallets will be rough. A hit over an object or through a wall isn't a guarantee like Huntress. No mobility. And a weaker snowball.

• SammiieK1991SammiieK1991 Member Posts: 686

I once told the player playing as him to put his gun up his arse. 👍

Him, wraith and spirit are my most hated.

• MrDardonMrDardon Member Posts: 3,317

Because of his Chains of Hate.

• AneurysmAneurysm Member Posts: 4,731

I just really dislike going out against him, both the instashots and the mindless zoning. I don't think he's OP or anything, in fact I win most matches against him bc I (and usually the other survivors too) engage full gensmash mode to get into a different game asap, which isn't the most exciting playstyle either. I'll take huntress any day, even with hatchets that fly round corners.

• FregglesFredFregglesFred Member Posts: 317

I think going against a chase that's different is nice. I have to play smarter against these killers and that's what I enjoy the most. Sure, It's annoying sometimes, but that's literally every single killer lol.

• MojoTheFabulousMojoTheFabulous Member Posts: 2,012

Probably the biggest problem people have with the Deathslinger is that quick scoping is so fast it's almost impossible to dodge and can be faked with essentially no penalty. So it doesn't really feel like you can do much in a chase other than guess what the killer is going to do as the Deathslinger can zone a survivor even without the need of doing anything.

With people hating the Spirit because going against her becomes a guessing game, it makes sense people hate this about Deathslinger and why people made a big deal about Pyramid Head too. Though for some reason I haven't really noticed anyone complain about Demogorgon for the same thing.

• JetTheWaffleCatJetTheWaffleCat Member Posts: 284

It's a mix of his shot being unreactable when he quick shots and his zoning potential.

He forces survivors to constantly weave and juke due to how unreactable his projectile is. That leads to another issue.

The Deathslinger closes distance because the survivor is juking and he can constantly fake is shot with no penalty, just like Pyramid Head.

• BananaBlooD95BananaBlooD95 Member Posts: 528

People seem to forget his weapon is needle size, add the ping factor and the 0.25s to actually hit you mean that a slight movement from the survivor can make him miss. Also like mind games & playing against Nurse you have to predict when he's gonna shoot. Lot of player always do the exact same thing and so are easy to read and react.

I've played him before, at 10-13m range survivor have time to drop pallet/vault window before getting hit making you lose a lot of time also survivor way over react when they see him aim with his weapon which lead them to lose lot of distance for nothing. You could aim 100 times without shooting and they'd still juke thin air then complain he's braindead. Maybe just try to not always do the same thing? That's where he shine at...

https://youtu.be/35vBSv7zPGw

10:46-47 the survivor predictably use DH around the corner so Deathsligner just had to be patient and the survivor ran into the cow which didn't help at all

11:22-24 Deathsligner try to use the hole in shack to get a free hit but the survivor read it and prevent him from getting that hit.

10:36 go at x0.25 speed, you'll see that the shot was on point but miss because it's a long range and survivor was on the side so by the time the harpoon actually reach the survivor he was just out of reach.

11:53 The killer didn't aim at the survivor, instead the survivor juke into the harpoon hence why the Feng got hit. That's a 12m+ shot.

Don't get me wrong, he's oppressive in chase but he's not braindead like some survivor think he is.

• OniWantsYourMacaroniOniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,829

Demos zoning doesn't really feel too cheap compared to Deathslinger,because

-The range is quite a bit less

-He needs to charge his shred

-You have a clear indicator when he's able to do it

-He's losing distance if he holds his shred

-Pallets 100% counter his shred

-He can't use his shred around loops like Deathslinger

• danielmaster87danielmaster87 Member Posts: 6,183

He actually takes skill to out-loop, and not in the no-skill Nurse sense. That's why people don't like him.

I can't remember any one specific instance of a hate message I received, but it was probably stuff along the line of "aimbot" or "camping tunneler". So pretty much the norm.

• PredatedPredated Member Posts: 2,538

It is essentially random guessing tho. Just like how Pig's traps are virtually RNG, even though it really is not(if it was, the average trap removal should be 2.5, but its lower than that due to the key being guaranteed in one, you dont have a 25% chance of removal each try, you either have 100% or 0%).

As for "reading" a deathslinger shot, you can at best read the area he can flick to, which can literally be a 360 no scope. So yes, you dont dodge deathslinger, he misses. If deathslinger doesnt hit you, he either failed his aim, or he didnt read you properly. The only way to "dodge" a deathslinger is pretending to be in his head which is guessing which move you would make next which is something survivors need to do anyway. Except that in the normal scenario, you only have to do that kind of decision within M1 range, against Nurse, you have at least the time it takes to charge the blink to move(which would be fine if Nurse only had 1 charge in chase, and 2-3 charges out of chase), but deathslinger? That 2 meter radius normally in which the killer doesnt see you in 0.3 meters, is increased to 9 meters, in that 9 meter range, its practically impossible to dodge deathslinger if he instantly shoots at the center of your hitbox unless you have Dead Hard.

Spirit, Nurse and Deathslinger have a large area where its 100% impossible to counter them. They make the mistake, you dont make the play. Nothing you can do as a survivor. Even with Huntress, who has a larger area of dealing damage, can be played(I mean, not with the new hatchet speed addons, which is probably going to be meta). I'm fine with the 2 meter radius around the killer essentially being impossible to dodge unless you somehow confuse the killer with a hail mary(which isnt really a play, its literally ignoring everything and just going for the highest risk move) or have dead hard.

Using hail mary's as an excuse to claim a killer is fine(hail mary's are the only "counterplay" against nurses, deathslingers and spirits at a large range), is like saying BNP commodius toolboxes with Prove Thyself can easily be counterplayed by just running Pop and getting a down within 20 seconds. It's simply not counterplay, its a rare scenario that might help out at best, but rare scenario's are not counterplay.

• MurphMurph Member Posts: 43

Survivors hate not being in control and not being able to braindead loop a pallet. See: Nurse/spirit/blight/hag/pyramid complaints.

• HollowsGriefHollowsGrief Member Posts: 1,497
    edited April 2021

People hate on Slinger because in a chase he is the power role where as most of the time it's the survivor that is the power role. What this means is he does not require the survivor to make a mistake in order to secure a hit and survivors hate that.

• shinymonshinymon Member Posts: 275

Apart from his terror radius music being so obnoxiously subtle that by the time you notice it, he's already gained some distance towards you, I have no problem against him.

• ilovedbd123ilovedbd123 Member Posts: 1,942

He has 24m TR (average not small) but it's difficult to hear at start if on a gen)

Yeah deathslinger is a B tier killer at best. His map pressure sucks so on most maps he's just plain bad. Those that have stuck to their guns will be Great at him due to the fact they have played him for a long time and are used to predicting strafes ect.

He was the third killer I picked up and enjoyed, used to be an only nurse and hag main. He's just super fun.

• miketheratguymiketheratguy Member Posts: 2,719

He's got a great look and a unique ability, I would think that more people would use him. When I start playing as killer more often he's one that I'd like to get good at.

Yeah, but my advice would be stack 2 or more gen regression/slowdown perks.

My build would be: corrupt, PGTW, (spies from the shadows is good, but BBQ or I'm all ears also works) and forced penance.

So 2 gen slowdown perks, a tracking perk (spies is actually really good on him as having around the map pressure means nothing, he wants knowledge of the area he's in) and forced penance is good on him as it punishes one of his counters (body blocking the chain or person shot).