Home Technical Issues
We're currently investigating an issue impacting rank resets on all platforms. Thank you for your patience and stay tuned for more info!

Sudden frame drops by GPU hitting 100%

pjsjongsungpjsjongsung Member Posts: 17
edited May 3 in Technical Issues

So my wife has a decent gaming laptop with this specs:

CPU : i9-9880h

RAM : 64GB

GPU : 1650 Max-Q(Latest driver)

and the game is installed on a SSD.

Her laptop had optimization issues with the game for a long time(since she started the game back in 2020), so we did everything that the community suggested. Running the game with dx12, playing on window mode, low graphics, playing on full screen with the lowest resolution, capping the frame rate to 60.

The problem seemed to go away when we tried window mode, but still, by random chance(average of 3~4 times per game), when she is with another character in the game, the frame rate drops to like 5. There is absolutely nothing memory/cpu/gpu consuming than dbd.

I tried running the game with the task manager open, and when the frame drop happens, I noticed that dbd suddenly shoots up to using 100% of GPU, thus a massive drop.

I know there have been suggestions about a windows update being an issue, but every thread I checked didn't provide any solution. Does this mean the only solution would be reverting back to various window versions until we find one that doesn't cause a frame drop or just wait for a new update that doesn't cause one? Are there other solutions we could try?

Comments

• KhaineGBKhaineGB Member, Mod Posts: 6,398

You can try capping the frame rate in the driver.

Open the nvidia control panel, go to 3D Settings -> Manage 3D Settings. In there, click Program Settings and add DbD to it. Then you can leave everything as either global or application controlled (I recommend application controlled) EXCEPT Max Frame Rate. Set to On, 60fps and see if that helps.

• pjsjongsungpjsjongsung Member Posts: 17

Thank you. We tried the suggestion haven't got a frame drop yet, but since it's sometimes random, we'll have to wait and see how it goes. I'll update this later.

• notstarboardnotstarboard Member Posts: 3,400
    edited May 4

I have a GTX 1060 and recently tried running the game in DX12 mode because I had heard it might help performance. It actually substantially hurt performance. I would recommend trying the game in DX11 again and seeing if that helps things.

Edit: Or were you encountering the issue before trying DX12? I'm not sure from how the post is phrased.

Yeah we added dx12 mode because we were having problems. Sorry if the post wasn't clear. For us, it neither hurt or improve the performance.

The week has been good without frame drops, so I guess it's safe to say the issue is solved for us! Thank you :)