Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

Let's forget about lucky break for a second and talk about open handed buff

dspaceman20dspaceman20 Member Posts: 4,245

I'm excited they finally got around to buffing open handed. All aura reading perks is going to be fun to use. I'm especially excited for Kindred and open handed it should be fun.

Is anyone else excited and happy?

Comments

• LaluziLaluzi Member Posts: 4,868

I hadn't thought of that, but whoa, that's a good combo. Might have to try that out sometime.

• dspaceman20dspaceman20 Member Posts: 4,245

Bond and open handed is also good to be fun. I can see what my useless team is doing across the map. I have a whole build around open handed now

Open Handed

Windows of oppurtunity

Bond or Kindred

Visionary or detectives hunch

It's going to be fun

• OmegaXIIOmegaXII Member Posts: 2,060

One thing I’m concern is Open Handed + Kindred.

Free killer aura in 32 meters from hooks is kind of broken, especially in small maps.

Lets be real, it’s very common for killers to be within that range while chasing another survivor. This just makes mindgame impossible until survivor is unhooked

• dspaceman20dspaceman20 Member Posts: 4,245

I didn't think that would be a problem.

I guess that is concerning.

• DpoolyDpooly Member Posts: 474

@OmegaXII It's not a 'free' 32m, you hooked someone...that's one step closer to removing someone from the match.

• BossBoss Member, Trusted Posts: 13,582

I don't mind one bit that this happens.

It's nice for Survivors, and i just cloak.

I can see myself walk away after hooking someone and cloaking.

Then once i'm fully cloaked, i instead walk into the direction i actually want to go.

Might fool some people...

...I guess i can already do that, but i thought of this in the case that Open-Kindred becomes popular.

The term "free" comes from the perk just activates without any effort from the user, and it has a very huge benefit. You bring it, you benefit from it. Sometimes you don't even have to bring it to have its effect if the person on hook happens to have this combo.

• DpoolyDpooly Member Posts: 474

@OmegaXII That's why it's called a perk... One could make your argument with NOED, Blood Warden, PGTW and several other perks. You're exchanging a perk slot for a valuable effect, that's what they're there for.

• notstarboardnotstarboard Member Posts: 3,702
    edited May 2021

I fail to see how this is broken. For this to even be relevant you need to have a person hooked, be chasing someone else, and still be close to the hook. One person is incapacitated, one person is chasing, one person needs to rotate for the save, and the save will necessarily be risky because the killer is nearby. Knowing exactly where the killer is doesn't really change that situation all that much. It's just a bit of a boost on some tiles against some killers.

Chases near the hook also don't happen that much. They will certainly happen from time to time, either because a survivor gets greedy going for a save or because the killer is camping, but killers and survivors are both incentivized to take the chase elsewhere. Survivors want this so that a teammate can safely come from the save, and there are many mechanisms for pushing killers away from the hook: Perks (BBQ/Thrilling/MYC/Devour Hope/BT/Kindred/etc.), emblems, etc.

Open Handed + Kindred isn't going to hold a candle to two meta perks.

• Science_GuyScience_Guy Member Posts: 1,669

Well you see, it's only free/cheap/undeserved if it helps Survivors.

• deckyrdeckyr Member Posts: 691
    edited May 2021

NOED is a perk that's "free", where it activates without any effort from the user, and it has a very huge benefit. you bring it, you benefit from it. sometimes you don't even have to bring it to have its effect, since some people might fear it and leave the trial without wanting to risk it going for a save.

anyway, here's a post where you said NOED is underpowered, has counterplay, and needs a buff

quit while you're behind.

• ZixologyZixology Member Posts: 1,062
  • SeannyD115SeannyD115 Member Posts: 555

If you are chasing a survivor while another is on hook then a 3rd survivor has to unhook the hooked survivor. I don't think people would want to abuse the range just to extend the loop longer since the killer would be in a good spot with pressure.

• PredatedPredated Member Posts: 2,674
    edited May 2021

You do realize that with the old open handed and kindred, you could have 48 meters, right? Let alone that it's not free. It requires 2 perk slots and a person being on the hook.

• swager21swager21 Member Posts: 1,019

i have the ultimate combo....

kindred and buckle up

• GibberishGibberish Member Posts: 909

Nah, they went about the buff all wrong. Open Handed is still useless for any time-based aura reading, such as Dark Sense or Alert.

What the Open Handed buff should have been is: "Whenever you would no longer see an aura, that aura remains revealed to you for 3/4/5 additional seconds". This makes Open Handed work for both range-based aura reading and time-based aura readings.

NOED is indeed underpowered IMO. Good against solo queues that are altruistic. But if survivors are clever, the perk itself really doesn't do much.

Most of the time NOED only gives 1 instadown in the whole game, and it's at the last stage of the game. Here are some scenario

• 4 people alive. You're gonna to proceed with camping anyway. That means there's plenty of time for survivors to find the totem and breaks it, DS+BT+bodyblock+99% gate, save the person on killer face and get out. Unless that person is really unlucky to be hooked around the totem.
    • 2-3 people alive. This is uncommon in the game. So if survivors simply leave, you get only 1 extra kill. And you probably can more than 1 kill if you bring something even better like PGTW.
    • 1 people alive. Doesnt mean anything. You won the game already.

Another thing is it can be removed from the game before it even does anything. And you're basically playing the game with 3 perks the whole game just for an instadown in end game. That doesn't seem good for me.

Those perks at least requires killers to work for it.

But for this combo? Slap on it and you're good to go. The only work you need to do is.... get hooked?

But i'm not here to argue about this "free" term. I'm just mentioning my concern about the combo, and how it really affects the game especially in indoor map.

• ohheyitsbobcatohheyitsbobcat Member Posts: 1,301

As someone who can't live without kindred I am extremely happy for Open Handed. I can't wait to give it a go.