Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

Spirit WITHOUT Stridor?

BangarangBangarang Member Posts: 352

So I’ll be honest, I’ve only ever played as Spirit around 5 times as I just wasn’t a fan of her gameplay. It just didn’t feel engaging or fun to me and if I’m not having fun, what’s the point?

I see a lot of people say that she doesn’t take skill and you just need headphones, but when I was playing as her I was using headphones and I really struggled against people using Iron Will. If they just stopped running when I phased and walked, it purely became a guessing game for me as to which direction they went. I know you can sometimes hear grass moving but depending on the map, survivors with Iron Will can be silent during a chase.

Is this why so many Spirit players use Stridor or was I just inexperienced and needed more practise? Like I said, I’ve not played her a lot so maybe I just wasn’t good yet lol. From where I was sat, it didn’t feel that easy to successfully land post-phase hits when the survivors knew to stop running to hide scratch marks.

So is she actually a killer that takes skill to master when you’re NOT using Stridor or do I just need to play her more to get the hang of her? Also to clarify, I didn’t struggle against survivors who weren’t running Iron Will. I found them easy to locate / down whilst phasing.

Interested to see the responses. 😏

Comments

• gibblywibblywoogibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,773

I think that's peoples main gripe with her design. She lives or dies based on what perks are in play. At least for average players. A decent spirit can still win against IW users without Stridor but you have to be good at listening out for footsteps, and knowing when to stop the phase early to catch a double back.

• BlueberryBlueberry Member Posts: 10,074

"but you have to be good at listening out for footsteps, and knowing when to stop the phase early to catch a double back."

Good survivors will not be giving you footsteps and early double back is not reliable, it's still guessing. Those ending scratch marks could have got in multiple directions.

• BangarangBangarang Member Posts: 352

I just had a miserable time playing as her but I think it’s because I only had 2 perks and neither of them were Stridor. I was against high ranks and they knew to walk when I was phasing and because I literally had zero audio cues as to which direction they went, I just kept losing them. So I do understand why so many people use Stridor. Especially when learning her.

I often hear survivors moving in the grass and breathing but it’s entirely dependent on the survivor and the map. I just kept getting maps that didn’t have a lot of grass and it was like playing against Houdini lol.

I picked some killers up really fast and I expected Spirit to be the same but I really struggled as her. I’ve even played as perkless Nurse and got a 4K at red ranks. I actually find her easier to use, is that crazy of me? 😂

Maybe I just need to unlock Stridor and try her again.

• legacycoltlegacycolt Member Posts: 1,428

Spirit doesn’t need stridor taken away from her, she needs a complete rework. Periodt.

• gibblywibblywoogibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,773

Like I said, good Spirits. Knowing when and when not to phase is part of being good at her.

• WexlerWendigoWexlerWendigo Member Posts: 1,867

Stridor is already a weird perk since it’s great on one killer, and basically useless on the rest.

• swager21swager21 Member Posts: 1,019

thats why stridor is meta on spirit

• nursewannabenursewannabe Member Posts: 1,075
  • AlionisAlionis Member Posts: 737

I played her without stridor as the entity didn't want me to have that perk for a long time on her.

I don't really need stridor with her these days anyways, I've learned to track them by the environmental changes and their footsteps, which helps immensely against iron will survivors. Stridor's not needed, it just takes practice.

• WexlerWendigoWexlerWendigo Member Posts: 1,867

Nurse makes the second best use of it for sure, but I rarely see nurses run it. Hard to justify using it for one of the four slots.

By the way, i don't play spirit much, but i get confused even more when using stridor, because survivors seem way too close.

I'm pretty good at tracking footsteps though, so i don't have problems against IW

• SMitchell8SMitchell8 Member Posts: 2,526

I did well with her with headset with no stridor. Struggled on bigger maps and against gen rushers.

Well yeah it still is niche, plus nurse has the spoon addon that does the same

It just always confuses me as I constantly see her being called ‘easy mode’ yet I struggled when I played as her. And I see killers like Clown being called weak and I got to rank 1 by using Clown, Deathslinger and Legion.

I wasn’t sure if I was doing something wrong by not being able to pick her up straight off the bat. I accidentally ended up on an old Otzdarva video last night and it was when Spirit first came out and he classed her as having a high skill cap. It’s just funny how that narrative has completely changed now lol.

I’ll stick at it. I don’t have an ego when it comes to games and I shouldn’t expect myself to be good at every killer. I’ll try her some more but she might just not be my cup of tea and that’s fine.

• DawnMadDawnMad Member Posts: 1,030
    edited May 2021

Injured sounds make Spirit overpowered while she is perfectly fine without them (in high skill matches). A good Spirit doesn't bring Stridor because she doesn't need it. She can finish chases very quickly already so bringing information or gen defense is more beneficial to her.

Thanks for this. I’ll have to give her another go and see if I can become better / learn to actually enjoy her. I’m just not used to having to guess where survivors are as I normally play Clown, Deathslinger and Legion and they just operate completely different.

My headset has good audio quality and I can often hear tiny details such as people sneaking up on you on FPS games. I just kept getting maps like Badham Preschool and as soon as the Iron Will survivors ran to the school or one of the other buildings they’d disappear after I phased. It didn’t help that they were efficient on generators as well as I felt like I had no time to make mistakes.

I might just try to learn her whilst using Stridor and when I feel comfortable enough, I’ll try her without and see how I do. I love her visual design and really want to like her.

• ShroompyShroompy Member Posts: 3,634

If you realize a survivor likes to start walking when you enter phase just stand still and wait for them to start walking, then start phasing towards them.

• The_KrapperThe_Krapper Member Posts: 2,467

Spirit really doesn't have a high skill cap it doesn't take long to get good with her, that being said you still have to put time in to get good you can't just slap headphones on and be a godly spirit , she's best utilized using shorter spurts in chases with the phase and not being in the mode too long to where it's a guessing game , I only hold phases out if I'm traversing to a gen far away I've noticed alot of newer spirit players stay in phase and waste it all before attacking

That works in some scenarios. I know how to do the whole ‘fake phase’ trick but my issue was more with when they’d just hold W and then as soon as I started to phase they wouldn’t be running anymore and would disappear lol. As soon as they break LOS and start walking I really struggled to locate which direction they went in. A lot of it will just come down to me having to play her more.

• chargernick85chargernick85 Member Posts: 3,171
    edited May 2021

Ya I always felt this way too. I actually really like the character but am not very good with her at all. Could also be because I don't use stridor and scratch marks are like 5 meters delayed when I use her. Never noticed it when i was any other killer but her.

• White_OwlWhite_Owl Member Posts: 3,738
    edited May 2021

*Laughs in Predator

I’m glad I’m not alone. I just never understood why I struggled so much as Spirit but not other lower tier killers. Honestly though, it could just be personal preference. She might just not be a killer that’s suited for my play style. But I’m not giving up on her just yet.

• BloodshadeBloodshade Member Posts: 3,260

if they do it once they'll do it again

do short bursts of phasing against those people, otherwise hope there's some grass nearby