Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

I think I may have figured out the problem for people who complain about gen speeds

CornMossCornMoss Member Posts: 503
edited May 2021 in General Discussions

Dead by daylight and well, any other asymetrical horror game is/should be balanced around the speed of objectives. Objectives in dead by daylight is healing and generators, healing is an alternative which helps survivors last longer in chases of course. Generators are a main objective for survivor. Since the game is/should be balanced around these speeds, perks that reduce the speed of progress on generators or make it harder for survivors to complete these objectives (PGTW, Ruin, etc.) throw this balancing out of proportion. Perks/items that increase the speed of completing generators do the same.

So in turn the development team of behaviour needs to balance the game so these perks are not too strong when put on a killer/survivor, but also not too weak without these perks.

The problem with the balancing in this game is that it is practically necessary to have these gen protection perks at a higher level of gameplay to not get stomped by even the just decent survivor players. The reason why this is necessary is because the devs balanced the game around these perks, making them way stronger than without them which in turn influences the meta. I believe if these perks were nerfed heavily, or basekit gen kicking regression was buffed quite a bit this game could be balanced in a more fair manner making it easier for the game to be balanced. This includes nerfing gen speed perks for survivor such as prove thyself (if used in a good swf the game is basically impossible to win with a weakish killer, especially with BnPs or toolboxes in general).

What do you all think of this? Do you believe there any flaws in my statement? What do you believe is the best next step to balancing this game out?

Comments

• Tillablerhino44Tillablerhino44 Member Posts: 505

The problem is tunneling fed ranks who kill survivors to quickly who don't want to play the match in the first place.If killers were banned for tunneling then gen speeds would be fine.

It should be two.

No reason to tunnel.

• TAGTAG Member Posts: 12,613

I want you to come up with a system that bans people for tunneling that bans toxic tunnelers but doesn't ban people who are not toxic tunnelers.

• chargernick85chargernick85 Member Posts: 3,171

So I am currently trying to get the last of my killers to p3. They are all level 42 and I want to p3 them before anniversary cakes come out. The remaining killers trapper, billy, Hag, Ghosty, Oni, Plague, and DS were leveled up using rift and daily rituals as I only use killers who obtain BBQ. Plague and DS got it now. DS and Mike who I finished over the weekend had no regression or slowdown and it was rough. Mike at least has one shot and can snowball DS already has a uphill battle with map mobility so having no perks with regression/slowdown is rough. So first game I ran BBQ, Monitor, Tinkerer (trying to get grabs), and Spies and gens flew off the board but played endgame well killed 2, had elodie on ground, injured nea t-bagging at gate. Gave elodie hatch. 2nd game figured might as well plan for it since everyone at my rank splits to work gens and swapped spies for bloodwarden. Same thing happened played endgame well was trading hooks then left one on ground and they opened gate. I picked up one of the Jane's and one of them bolted out (smart) I hooked and watched as they were running into a invisible wall. The 2nd Jane ran out of the gate area while THE MEG hid in the exit gate area (REALLY) she died first obviously and the Jane didn't go for other exit and was injured so she died too. Bloodwarden is fun but would rather win sooner. My mains for instance I don't really mind it. Pig I only use dying light but she has traps I guess. Fred has pop that's really all he needs. Huntress I only use corrupt everything else is aura based. When I use the lower killer (lower IMO only) I feel the need for slowdown/regression to even play the damn game. To me that says I need to spend more time on those characters not gen speeds are bad.

• lagostalagosta Member Posts: 1,682

@Sonzaishinai explained masterfully.

An important skill as a killer is to identify weak links in a team and avoid taking long chases, either bc the survivor is skillful or has a strong setup. If you can keep building momentum, you can drive other survivors away from gens by imposing more immediate priorities such as rescues.

Eventually, they will run out of resources as their items charges dry out and the pallets are destroyed.

• TicTacTicTac Member Posts: 2,204

Thats correct. But then there are matches, where you have no weak link, where there are too many ressources or where the map is too big and switching targets waste too much time.

I use this tactic, but i would prefer if killing one early wouldnt be the best tactic. Right now you are playing badly if you have 6 hooks and nobody is dead.

• EntitySpawnEntitySpawn Member Posts: 3,622

Sorry but even base survivors can get through gens fast even if pop exists. The only reason killers win is bad survivors that dont touch gens. Seriously had a game where no one touched a gen... that isn't red rank.

• Squirrel_ThiccSquirrel_Thicc Member Posts: 2,678

Imo it's not specifically the beginning of the game. If at any point in the match you have a bad chase, especially as hard or weak killers, it's basically over for you. It's the system of how survivors are allowed to make several mistakes during a match but the killer makes only a few and they lose the match.

• TsulanTsulan Member Posts: 12,687

The gen speed per se is not the problem. The amount of gens or lack of additional objectives that need to be done together with the gens is the problem.

On red ranks, in most matches 3 gens go by the time the killer gets his first hook. Thats 60% of the survivors objectives while the killer has merely completed 8% of his objective. Now the killer feels pressured so camping&tunneling take place, because the killer tries to get more hooks/stages before survivors complete the 2 remaining gens.

In other words: 4 survivors have 12 lives while the killer has 5 "lives" so obviously the killer is at an disadvantage when he tries to reduce the amount of survivor lives by playing fair.

Undying Ruin was a good combo that helped killers which could pressure survivors off gens. Now with that combo gone, killers desperately stack 2, 3 or even 4 gen slowdown perks. All in an attempt to get a few more seconds of gameplay.

Survivors need obligatory objectives like gas cans, fixing cables or finding parts. So killers don´t feel as pressured, have more liberty in their builds and don´t feel the urge to camp&tunnel.

• tippy2k2tippy2k2 Member Posts: 3,471
    edited May 2021

This

I watched a Twitch Streamer who was against me (after the match of course because I'm not going to be that guy who stream snipes). He was SOOOOOOOOOOOOO salty about how I "tunneled" him but I went after whoever I found. He kept going back to the same generator to work on so if I didn't know where anyone was, guess what the first place I went to was?

Did I "tunnel" him because he was the one I kept finding the fastest (he was always fully healed before I found him each time, he was just unlucky that I was Oni and was in Demon Mode every time I found him)? Did I need to let him do a certain amount of that gen before I no longer was tunneling him? How do you tell the difference between what I did to that survivor and if I were going T-1000 on the situation and specifically hunting for him to get him out ASAP?