Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

Dead By Daylight: Diversity 2021

2»

Comments

• BlueberryBlueberry Member Posts: 10,074
    edited May 2021

"I mean for most shows/games they are taking place somewhere specific and it actually makes sense that for example in Japan there are mostly Japanese people.

but for Dead by Daylight, it just makes sense to have people from all over the place, as they are getting brought from their world to the Entity’s realm."

That makes sense. I guess my point is that it's not being brought up from a place of "this game is technically located everywhere" and instead it's brought up in the sense of forced diversity quotas which feels discriminatory. I wouldn't want to be judged by my nationality but by the content of my character.

"also, diversity doesn’t hurt anyone. But it can make people feel acknowledged/included when they don’t feel that way generally."

Well for example let's say you had a cool concept for a samurai killer but oh wait, inclusivity, so you we make the samurai whatever other ethnicity. You just took that other persons position and gave it to another for the sake of their nationality, aka discrimination. Obviously these aren't real people but this is more a comment to "diversity doesn't hurt anyone", it can. I find "acknowledged/included" a very weird concept. In my previous example of an asian game I don't feel excluded because it's just asian characters, it's an asian made game, that just makes sense to me and is expected, it's logical. Why do people need to feel "acknowledged"? It's a game lol.

In other words I like the idea of unique characters from all over the world that get brought in because they have unique and cool stories that need to be included. What I don't like is forced quotas that look to put characters in because they fill the check mark next to that nationality etc. So I agree with the end result, it's the thought process and means to getting there I take issue with.

• KingFrostKingFrost Member Posts: 3,014

DBD is pretty diverse. Take out the licensed characters, take out the killers, and it's a pretty good mix of characters. Though we do need some more hispanic characters. You won't see many games with even this level of diversity.

• MooksMooks Member Posts: 10,618

yeah, that’s alright but.. this forced diversity does not happen in Dead by Daylight?

i agree forced diversity and inclusiveness is wrong and shouldn’t be in any media without context etc. But in DbD and especially with the devs we know they do it in a great way and because they actually want to do it.

there is no reason to assume they do it for the wrong reasons. We got a Kpop star that is Korean even though they already had ticked of the Korean department with Jake. We got Yui and Oni even though we already had Spirit as a ‚token’ Japanese character. They are not going after a checklist and creating token characters is what I am trying to say, they are creating the Chars they want to create and the storys the want to tell.

• BlueberryBlueberry Member Posts: 10,074

I'm not necessarily implying the devs per say, but the aforementioned thought process was the rational I was getting from OP's use of words.

• FondaDixFondaDix Member Posts: 173

I've always been curious about where The Trapper is actually from. They gave him a Skin that's a reference to My Bloody Valentine which is a old Horror film from the late 70's that's set in a small mining town in Nova Scotia. Kinda wonder if the Macmillan estate is in NS, would kind of be nice to have a stage that encorperates beaches and maybe a lighthouse.

• swager21swager21 Member Posts: 1,019

her backstory isnt so clear and it says anglo-american on the wiki so its hard to tell

• PhasmamainPhasmamain Member Posts: 9,978

If I’m not mistaken isn’t Jeff originally Canadian? He has Norwegian roots but it never says how far back

• DeviriDeviri Member Posts: 29

Zooming in here!

The Spirit and the Oni are Japanese, and Yun-Jin and the Trickster are Korean.

Not sure how old your graphic is and I didn't see a post about it yet, but I thought I'd drop a line about it just in case!

• gibblywibblywoogibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,773

You could probably put Pyramid Head in MAine, US. There's a lot of implications throughout SH2 and the entire series that he DID physically exist in some form outside of SH2. Be that in the otherworld or the real world.

• ProfoundEndingProfoundEnding Member Posts: 2,309
    edited May 2021

The devs are diverse except when it comes to the ages of female characters. Before Jane we didn't have any female that was older then her 20s. And even Jane is only in her 30s. Can we please get an old lady survivor BHVR?

Also side note, not every new survivor has to be attractive either.

• VolantConch1719VolantConch1719 Member Posts: 1,141

I came in expecting a complaint post about how diversity ruins games, because that's just how these forums are. Instead, I got a pretty cool chart and map of where the characters are from. I don't necessarily agree with some of the choices made, like licensed characters shouldn't be included in looking at diversity because the devs can't do anything about that, Jane, while definitely of latin descent, is American (her lore puts her father's house in New Jersey and her archive makes a big deal about her wanting to just be considered American), and Jamaica isn't part of Africa, so Adam should be put in a Caribbean section if you're going to do that. But other than some of these small nitpicks (and other things you might have forgotten such as Elodie's parents being from Madagascar), this was well done.

First paragraph of Trapper's archive firmly roots him in Seattle, Washington.

• Johnny_XManJohnny_XMan Member Posts: 5,844
    edited May 2021

Very well put together OP. This is one of the reasons that drew me to DBD initially, is seeing how much representation there is culturally. It gives the game a specific flavor that no other game has. Specifically when you talk about killers and start to wonder and ask “where do they come from??”. It’s just a cool element.

Personally I’d love to see more Latin American cultures in this game. There are a lot of specific folklore and legends of character within the horror genre that would be cool to see.

• ItzZane_ItzZane_ Member Posts: 949

Overwatch is WAY more diverse, There are only 4 american characters

Plus shouldn't zarina be in lebanon? if we're talking about where they are from zarina should be in lebanon but where they live? yeah she's in america obviously

I guess the world map shows where they live and the other picture shows heritage (there Zarina is listed as Lebanese)

• ItzZane_ItzZane_ Member Posts: 949

I don't think so, Because adam should've been in japan since he lived there BEFORE taken by the entity

Same with wraith he went to america before taken by the entity

• ProfoundEndingProfoundEnding Member Posts: 2,309

Wasn't Adam just visiting though. Like it wasn't his permanent place of residence. He was just residing there for work.

• Friendly_BlendetteFriendly_Blendette Member Posts: 2,498

Slinger Irish? I thought he was american. Like he has Irish heritage but isn't really Irish imo. I am still holding out for a bean sí(banshee) as an actual Irish killer.

• smart212smart212 Member Posts: 136

new survivor or killers from South East Asian, since many player of DBD mostly from Thai , Indonesia and Vietnam , Malaysia, Phillipines.

Oh yeah you are right.. hmm info seems to be there in both pictures but not consistently portrayed then..

Pretty sure Adam moved there and wanted to start a new life? Could be wrong though.

but for Wraith he definitely lived in North America and not Africa anymore

• FondaDixFondaDix Member Posts: 173

Oh I'll have to take a look. I may have missed that. Thanks.