Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

Is this game survivor sided or killer sided?

124»

Comments

• TrickstaaaaaTrickstaaaaa Member Posts: 1,252

It's is and always will be survivor sided since it's 4 brains vs 1. But with coms aka with friends it more heavily survivor sided.

• BeelzeboopBeelzeboop Member Posts: 1,306

I believe this game is survivor sided, but not for the reasons you would think.

The main issue with this game isn't really balance. It's more that the game refuses to give the experience it promises to the killer.

If you play killer, the game promises a power fantasy where you slaughter and terrorize four survivors who need to push themselves to the absolute limit of their skill to have a chance to escape.

Out of 23 killers, there are only about six (Executioner, Oni, Spirit, Nurse, Deathslinger, and Blight) that actually fit this description at all in a standard match, and those ones are very, very hard to play. Most of the others don't even feel like a power role, or much less like an imposing, terrifying figure as promised.

The fact that survivors have as many second chances as they do makes it feel like the killer's work was all for nothing, which is often the actual case. The fact that survivors try to draw out a chase instead of escaping it makes it feel like the whole thing is just triviality for them, even if you catch them, which is also the case a good deal of the time. The fact that survivors' main means of defense are more tedious and irritating to deal with than being any sort of threat just exacerbates the problem.

Survivor shouldn't be as easy as it is. I'm not saying that they're overpowered, but I feel like they should have more ways to express their skill that aren't extremely frustrating for the killer. That applies to killers, too, but they already have enough skill expression as it is. It's just that the killer's skill doesn't matter as much as the survivors', since the survivors control the flow of the game.

If you want to debate that last point, keep this in mind while you formulate your argument:

• The survivors determine where a chase goes (exception is when they're up against one of the afore mentioned killers or Clown) and what loops are going to be included. The killer just has to follow, since it's, you know, a chase.
    • The killer's main goal is to end chases as fast as possible and get that survivor hooked so that they can go back to patrolling generators. As such, the survivor's goal in a chase is to keep the chase up for as long as possible. The killer literally has to chase (except Ghostface and Wraith), so the killer is basically powerless if the survivor is even slightly better at looping than them.
    • The survivors decide how long the game lasts. I don't want to go into detail since there have been tons and tons of posts abut the gen speeds, but there's one other thing: the survivors can leave the game whenever they want. The only exception is when they're all slugged. (Slugging for no reason is literally the same thing as T-bagging at the exit gates till the last second, both functionally and psychologically. You're making fun of the other players for losing and not letting them leave for several minutes. Kinda unrelated to the topic, but I just needed to say that.) The killer has to stay until all of the survivors either escape or die. The only alternative is to take the DC penalty.
    • Killers literally can't hold the game hostage, since the longest they can really drag it out is about four minutes after they've decidedly won. Survivors can, however. They can just not finish the last gen so that they can just bully the killer until they get bored and decide to let the match finally ends.
  • BeelzeboopBeelzeboop Member Posts: 1,306

Could you please stop posting this meme, Tony?

We've all seen it already from your other posts.

It's not inaccurate, it's just not really entertaining once you've seen it six times.

• Lord_TonyLord_Tony Member Posts: 2,109

killers have to kick gens for a total of 3 seconds for a weak as hell regression process.

survivors? 1/60th of a second.

tell me how that's not survivor sided

• MewMew Member Posts: 1,666

both

at the highest level play, its survivor sided.

middle, neither

lowest, killer sided

• MrsGhostfaceMrsGhostface Member Posts: 842

It’s leaning towards killers at this point

• indieeden7indieeden7 Member Posts: 3,028

Since when was killer gameplay nothing but kicking gens?

• Lord_TonyLord_Tony Member Posts: 2,109

you literally missed the ######### point entirely.

Killers can't pressure gens at all without perks

and when we try to we get punished for it because survivors can just gen tap in midchase.

it's not fair

• indieeden7indieeden7 Member Posts: 3,028

Well then at that point you're asking the game to be balanced around players not bringing perks. Suggesting that a killer's base kit should provide adequate gen pressure while keeping gen pressure perks the same as they are now is silly.

• ArtemishaArtemisha Member Posts: 401

Game is Solo Q - sided. Anyone telling something different is lying!!

• DupstepAlex078DupstepAlex078 Member Posts: 33

Survivor

• NebulaNebula Member Posts: 471

100 responses in this thread and someone finally got the answer right; bout damn time

• Marik13Marik13 Member Posts: 683

I think you're still missing the point... A killer needs to hold the kick button down for 3 seconds, to wait for the animation to play out before the progress on the gen begins to regress very slowly. All a survivor has to do is merely tap their button for a fraction of a second, making essentially 0 progress, in order to interrupt the regression from the killer's kick. You mentioned well that's what perks are for. Well...here's the thing about that. I've seen the threads complaining about tunneling and camping. When it's pointed out that there are perks to help prevent that, I usually see survivors give the argument of forcing them to run the same perks and how that's wrong. So...wouldn't that argument apply here? Forcing killers to take the same gen pressure perks regardless of builds? Yes there are different perks for that but I believe there are some that are objectively better than the others.

Also as a side note, and well take this one as you will, I'm only speaking from personal experience here as a newer player to the game. As a newer player, I don't have very many perks unlocked universally for my killers, which means that until I either play that killer or grind out the levels and BP needed to unlock those perks, then I'm kinda stuck. So going back to the basics of how these things work, I still need to spend time waiting for a 3 second animation to finish, where as and I've been in this situation before you will have two survivor's playing monkey in the middle between you and a gen. Where you try to chase one, then another one comes, taps the gen. I go to chase them, the other guy comes back, taps and runs, and in to an endless loop until I commit to one, and essentially giving the other survivor the time to finish the gen. Or if I'm chasing and they got a nice little bit of distance on me I've seen them literally stop to tap a passing by gen and then continue the chase. That's really not fair at all imo, to just simply tap and stop what is already considered to be very slow regression.

• miketheratguymiketheratguy Member Posts: 2,719

"Is this game survivor sided or killer sided?

No.

• landromatlandromat Member Posts: 2,193

SWF sided, while killer and solo survivors suffer

• stikyardstikyard Member Posts: 524

Too many variables in matchmaking.

If we are talking a full skilled SWF, they probably take the cake. Very few Killers can keep up with the gen rush and end chases quickly.

Solo is a whole other story.

I personally like to play with my friends. Only problem is... my friends are bad, lol! 🤣

Too many variables but, an experienced Killer will wreck most teams.

• RenAmamiyaRenAmamiya Member Posts: 849

It's matchmaking-sided.

4 good survivors will most of the time win against all killers on most maps except Nurse and Blight with very strong slowdowns.

However, matchmaking is so messed up that matches like this happen once in a blue moon. So, ironically, the screwed up matchmaking balances the game.

• DwarvenTavernDwarvenTavern Member Posts: 2,493

Depends really. Maps, offerings, and builds factor in this. But, I'm assuming you mean base.

I'd say closely neutral with swf survivors quickly following behind.

Expert feels more like a 50/50, but I do get what you mean. A good survivor is able to bait out swings and mind game back as well.

• UnifallUnifall Member Posts: 749

Its mostly SWf sided. A little bit to survivor side but not that bad.

• bm33bm33 Member Posts: 5,963

When I'm killer it's survivor sided. When I'm survivor it's killer sided.

• FFirebranddFFirebrandd Member Posts: 2,000

If Matchmaking always matched 4 expert Survivors vs 1 expert Killer I might agree with you. It only very rarely does that though. Which is why Expert is Killer sided.

On consoles it does, not sure about PC however. Might be a different story, I always get paired with expert survivors

• MunqaxusMunqaxus Member Posts: 2,528

What is the most reliable source of info then? There is literally no source of reliable info except for stats. You can say the stats have flaws but it's literally the only way you can collect and compare data on anything.

This discussion has been closed.