Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

So.... Boon totems?

Wondering what everybody thinks about it. I think it's interesting and it'll mix up the game a little bit.

Comments

• dspaceman20dspaceman20 Member Posts: 4,245

Does anyone know what boon totems will do?

• DbdswitchisokDbdswitchisok Member Posts: 30

This is just speculation on my end, but I have a feeling it'll be like hexes. So the effect persists until a killer kicks the totem. but from all the info we heard it seems odd.

• MooksMooks Member Posts: 10,889

Had to look up what boon translates to in my language. So it’s pretty much something like ‚blessing‘ (right?)

they said they will give effects when nearby the boon totem. So I guess it will be a pretty strong effect, something like passive healing when just nearby, making it possible to still do other stuff like gens.

question is, can you/other survs destroy the totem for perks like Inner Strength? Can Killers destroy the totems? Can they turn into Noed if they are the last totem (probably not)?

would 2 survs share one boon totem, or would the effect be personal? Would multiple boon totems give effects in multiple locations?

way too many questions. I guess best way is to wait and see instead of building false expectations..

• FirelliusFirellius Member Posts: 2,277

The way I can envision it was actually through a bit of a train of thought.

For one, I was hoping boon perks would be related to the Imperiatti and the Pariahs (Élodie, Felix, and three other, unnamed characters). That got me thinking that maybe Built to Last should be changed to a Boon perk.

I can imagine Boon perks replacing the ability to destroy a totem. Instead of cleansing a totem, you hijack it with a boon, that persists until used up or until the killer destroys it. For Built to Last, I was thinking that, once a totem has been hijacked and turned into a boon totem, any survivor can walk up to it with a depleted item in hand and through interacting with the boon totem, can refill their charges, after which the totem falls apart.

Another idea I had was actually a perk idea I had for Little Nightmares' Mono, as a survivor, which would make it so that any destroyed totem would reveal the aura of nearby survivors to Mono, and that if he destroyed a totem, it'd show him the killer's aura for a few seconds.

That could be adapted to a boon totem where a survivor hijacks a totem, and then it pings or shows an aura when the killer gets too close to it.

All in all, there's a fantastic array of possibilities and I am super curious to see where this goes. This could allow for some actually relevant new survivor perks to crop up.

• DawnMadDawnMad Member Posts: 1,030

I hope it's not something the Killer will have to manage but something survivors will have to. Killers already have enough in their plates, giving survivors a power boost by totems would only be fair if the survivors also have to maintain it.

Also I'm curious how this will work out with the totem count, are they going to make it so more totems appear or will they reword Haunted Ground and combine all boon perks in a singe totem.

• OniWantsYourMacaroniOniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,937

Maybe this could be the early game mechanic the devs were talking about?

• GoodBoyKaruGoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 20,522

Blessing works yeah

Alternatively there's the 80s version which means a favour from someone higher in power than you. Think of this scene from Heathers: The Musical:

"This is an excellent forgery- who are you?"

"Veronica uh- Sawyer. I crave a boon."

"What boon?"

"Let me sit at your table at lunch, just once- no talking necessary. If people think you guys tolerate me they'll leave me alone."

For context she's talking to the girls who have the highest social status in the school.

• HectorBrandoHectorBrando Member Posts: 2,748

I doubt it, Killers complain a lot about lacking time to patrol and chase everyone, I dont think theyll put Hexes for Survivors so Killers have to check for even more stuff. I suppose they are Totems that give some kind of benefit when cleansed, giving a secondary objective for Survivors.

• MineguyMineguy Member Posts: 318

I think you're like hex perks for survivors. Only with the difference that you have to destroy the totem to get the perk active.

• StibbityStabbityStibbityStabbity Member Posts: 1,678
    edited May 2021

That's why I mentioned earlier that it could be a perk that is activated by cleansing the boon totem. Survivors would start out without the perk and have to find and activate it. This would make sense as it wouldn't add new chores for the killer, and fit in with what survivors do already.

My one question is, however, how they would deal with a Killer using a full hex build with HG involved. All 5 totem spawns would be used. Will boon add a sixth totem?

• TsulanTsulan Member Posts: 12,963

So this is what some people like me thought should happen to totems: survivor hex totems, that remove a survivor perk when survivors cleanse them.

Oh wait, nevermind, they are clearly distinguishable from normal totems.

• Nathan13Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,273

what even is boon totems????

• Harold_ShipmanHarold_Shipman Member Posts: 737

My understanding was that they were tied to dull totems, and lit when you went within proximity to them. But this means you have to leave dull totems up, which will discourage cleansing and be a indirect NOED buff. So I hope this isnt the case.

I cant imagine they are lit by default, as if every survivor took one, and the killer takes 2 hex perks, that means somebody isnt gettin a perk they brought with them. Similarly, if the killer takes 4 hex totems, one of which is haunted ground, seems like this would be a problem.

• Kira4EvrKira4Evr Member Posts: 2,025

I still don't really understand the Boon Totems. It's like a Hex, but for survivors?

• DragonMasterDarrenDragonMasterDarren Member Posts: 2,271

i think the general consensus is that they'll be hexes but for Survivors

• Patrick1088Patrick1088 Member Posts: 621

They didn't say much in the stream. Its a new type of perk (different than hex and obsession perks) that's related to Totems.

I think it'll be a dull totem that survivors can activate creating boon totems, which will give some boost to the individual (speed, cleansing, healing, or worst case-gen repair). But I think the balance is that these boon totems are treated as dull totems in the sense of the trial. Once last gen is repaired all boon totems are extinguished and treated like regular dull totems, which will activate NOED.

Or NOED can become a regular hex or can be linked to new Mori system that was mentioned. Maybe killers have to cleanse boon totems to activate NOED.

• GeneralVGeneralV Member Posts: 7,877

That is actually a good suggestion... if they weren't distinguishable.

• Friendly_BlendetteFriendly_Blendette Member Posts: 2,782

Personally. I dont think they are a good idea if they are anything like hexes in terms of strength. Survivors find hexes easily due to there being 4 of them, with the RE chapter 3 perks that show totems and having a 3rd person camera. Using a high mobility killer like blight sure it wont be a big deal but imagine trying to find the totems as slinger, trickster or huntress. Worse still is that a lot of the widely considered low/mid tier killers are gonna suffer from this a lot more than high tier ones like Trapper is going to have a much harder time than say blight or oni finding them.

• TsulanTsulan Member Posts: 12,963

Yes, it would turn Hex totems for both sides into high risk, high reward perks.

• GeneralVGeneralV Member Posts: 7,877

Indeed! And who knows, maybe they would last a little bit longer too.

• Zucker_SchockZucker_Schock Member Posts: 565

From what i understood from the explaination on stream it sounded more like:

Boon is like a status effect, being close to a dull totem activates the effect. And lights the totem while in range.

A possible effect could be: while close to a dull totem (your boon) you see the aura of all survivors.

• C3ToothC3Tooth Member Posts: 5,073

If 4 Survivors bring Boon perk and using 4 Dulls.

Me as a Noed user: shook

• SonzaishinaiSonzaishinai Member Posts: 6,726

Most likely a perk that lits a totem that does something positive when cleansed.

the only issue with that theory is how it will work with hex perks.

will there be more then 5 totems if a killer brings a full set of hex perks and the survivors all bring boon perks?

Will the hexes gain priority? will the boons? who knows

• YOURFRIENDYOURFRIEND Member Posts: 2,279

Not looking forward to going totem hunting as killer while three gens pop in the distance.

• bowobowo Member Posts: 121

Here's two ideas for how they might work.

You activate your "Boon" perk by pressing the "Activate Ability" button while interacting with a dull totem.

OR

Running a Boon perk spawns a Boon totem. Cleansing the totem activates the perk.

Personally, I'm leaning towards the 2nd guess. Either way, they sound very interesting and I'm excited to hear more.

• PurgatorianPurgatorian Member Posts: 1,137

I have always wanted to see a survivor version of hex perks. I am expecting a lot of killers complaining about survivors having overpowered perks, just like survivors do with noed, and everyone saying 'just break the totems' lol