Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

Has latency always been a problem since the release of this game?

Johnny_XManJohnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,058
edited June 2021 in General Discussions

Question for you veterans who have been here since the very beginning.

It’s been so long I forgot what it feels like to have proper hit registration.

Comments

• JPLongstreetJPLongstreet Member Posts: 3,052

In my 1400 or so hours the killer has always been 3-4 feet closer that they visually appear, and even closer when vaulting, in both roles. That's what the latency does for me.

• jester20kjester20k Member Posts: 827

Well, before dedicated servers, if the killer had a good internet connection, it was way better. The problem was lag switching killers, and it would be unplayable. Also the biggest down side was the killer was the server and if they lobby Dodged you, it could mean upwards of another 15 minute wait for a new killer server. But the hits since dedicated servers are abysmal trash.

• Johnny_XManJohnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,058
    edited June 2021

@jester20k

Ok I was gonna say, I feel like when there were no dedicated servers hits felt better in general. I mean with exception of those instances where the killer’s network connection was bad.

I wonder if there is such a thing as bad servers. Like, could the servers just be bad? I’m not a technical guy so I just wonder. Haha

I don't really know if the servers are bad or if it's just the problem that now the signal is going in to a middleman server and delaying the process. What is clear is that it gives priority to what the killer sees. Which is how you get the nonsense hits you see when the killer has crap internet, or intentionally uses a VPN to create a bad ping for an advantage (which is the most pathetic thing on earth, how do you have any respect for yourself doing that is beyond me). Until they implement a system that gives priority to the better ping player, we are screwed, from what others have said on here, they can't do that to the point where if a killer thinks he's got a legit hit but it's because of latency and he swings through a survivor and doesn't get the hit, that killer isn't going to be playing the game for long and we can't afford to lose any killer players. I disagree, if the killers internet is crap I shouldn't be paying the price for it.

• steezo_desteezo_de Member Posts: 1,009

Playing during prime time from ~ 5pm - 9pm was very good. 30 ping direct connections were so much better than anything dedicated servers has to offer now and I'd rather go back (even with lagswitching), if it weren't for the security issues direct connection had.

• CoalTowerCoalTower Member Posts: 1,730

Latency was always a problem, just not every game like now.

• Toblerone007Toblerone007 Member Posts: 598

Servers performance is fine. It's not a packet loss / server choke.

Purely latency between each player and how the netcode for dead by daylight isn't developed (enough) to properly deal with latency. They need to implement proper interpolation of movement of players. That, and also make killers clients not calculate the hit. That's why VPN killers work.

• landromatlandromat Member Posts: 2,193

No. Game was on P2P on release and huntress felt much more bearable than she is now

• TsulanTsulan Member Posts: 12,963

Before dedicated servers, survivors could see the killers ping. When he had good internet, there was no issues with latency.

One of the reasons people wanted dedicated servers was lag switching. But I can count the number of times I encountered a lag switcher on 1 hand.

• gibblywibblywoogibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,773

It used to be worse, killers were the host. If you think you're getting unfair hits now you would have hated it back then.

Same, I think I got lag switched maybe twice and both times were very obvious. Like getting stuck at the exit gate and suddenly being on a hook next to a nodding billy.

• Aven_FallenAven_Fallen Member Posts: 12,404

Nah.

The thing is, as Survivor you got the relevant information back then - your ping to the Killer, who was the Host. So if you play against someone and you have around 50 Ping, you will have fair-looking Hits. If you play against someone with 120 Ping, you will experience latency.

However, since Dedicated Servers went live, you dont get this information anymore. You only see that your Ping to the Server is 50. But you dont see that the Killers Ping is 120. You dont get this information. So while your Ping is good, you will get weird-looking Hits, because the Killers Ping is bad.

Since there is no way of fixing this (Hit Validation has to be generous because there are simply players who are not living next to a Server without the possibility to ever get a Dedicated Server near them), the Devs SHOULD show the Killers Ping in the Lobby. This is the important information.

It does still feel like even with hit validation, the game is prioritising clearly laggy killer hits. I can have a consistent 30 ping but a clearly visible lagging killer (in some cases obvious VPN players) are still getting hilariously unfair hits.

• EntitySpawnEntitySpawn Member Posts: 3,712

No. Seriously crossplay messed it up, like yeah killers had bad ping at times but at least you could expect it and see the connection was bad, now... everyone can be 20ping and you can have worse hits than a 150ping game so... its crossplay.

• PizzamanPizzaman Member Posts: 473
    edited June 2021

Same experience here. P2P was quite good for me back then, in contrast to Dedicated Servers. You just had to carefully watch the ping indicator in the (Killer) Lobby. Almost never stayed in a "red" lobby (or "bad" yellow, the ones that kept going from yellow to red and then yellow again), almost never had a bad experience. Yes, there were some issues occasionally, but it was very rare.

Interaction in the P2P-era of DBD was superior to Dedicated Servers.

You didn't have to compensate for a latency that was introduced by Dedicated Servers. You could just drop a pallet whenever you wanted to. Same thing for vaults. Nowadays it's like "OK, I need to drop/vault that early, because of Dedicated Servers". Same thing with Deadhard, you could use it in ways that are just not possible anymore (I'm talking about timing DH, nothing else). Now you use it and pray that you're not exhausted on the ground.

Sad thing to see, that this kind of potential is lost in the attempt to make it a better game.

I feel like Dedicated Servers sort of averaged everything out for players. If you never had issues with P2P, then it probably made the "P2P-best case scenario" worse for you. Because if you always had lobbies with low latency, Dedicated Servers are definately worse for you now. On the other hand, it probably made the "P2P-worst case scenario" better for people that always struggled somehow with their internet connectivity.

So now we've got an average experience.

You are absolutely right oh my God that would be such a simple fix