Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

Why do we excuse Nurse?

ShoobyShooby Member Posts: 225
edited June 2021 in General Discussions

A high skill floor with a near game-breaking skill ceiling is bad game balance and bad game design. That's really not debatable.

I understand that Nurse players have been honing in their craft for years and changing the way she plays would really screw Nurse mains over, but why is this allowed to go on when it's a seemingly glaring issue with balance?

Edit: high skill floor, not low skill floor

Post edited by Shooby on

Comments

• gibblywibblywoogibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,773
    edited June 2021

Because even though you're never going to play against those types of teams in pubs, Nurse is really the only killer that can keep up with absolute top level survivors. It is both funny and sad that the only killer that can keep up at that level is one that denies every mechanic the survivors have in a chase.

There's also the excuse that she's hard to learn so its OK. I have zero respect for pub stomping nurses though.

• ShoobyShooby Member Posts: 225

That's my point. Nurse is the hardest killer for new players... But the best players with Nurse stomp... Not good balance.

• Toblerone007Toblerone007 Member Posts: 598

He was pointing out your mistake in phrasing 'low skill floor'.

You meant high skill floor. That's what you're trying to say.

• OrionOrion Member Posts: 21,675

Yeah, that confused the hell out of me. What confuses me more is how people can get those two mixed up.

• BloodshadeBloodshade Member Posts: 3,255

i will say that recharge, range, and even fatigue add-ons to an extent feel like cheating.

• yeetyeet Member Posts: 1,823

nurse is easily one of the most balanced killers in the game

• ShoobyShooby Member Posts: 225

When the only game mode aside from custom lobbies are ranked matches, balance matters.

• CLAUDETTEINABUSHCLAUDETTEINABUSH Member Posts: 2,210

Basically this.

I'm still trying to play nurse well. She's not simple at all. Someone has to invest hundreds and hundreds of hours just to get used to her ability. And, personally, I think that if someone has mastered her, I think they deserve to win most matches. Having good and powerful, but difficult killers is a good thing, and good game design

• gibblywibblywoogibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,773

Yeah, a rock bottom skill floor is Clown or Freddy. Their entire playstyle is "throw/place gas/snare and walk backwards round loop" or just Trapless Trapper.

Nurse is one of the few things in this game that takes actual mechanical skill and not just basic knowledge.

That said I think the logic of "this player is good, and the killer they're playing is good, therefore they should win every time" is a bad design mindset. It's the logic that gave us a killer like Deathslinger or Spirit that more or less remove survivor agency entirely.

I don't hate these killers (love their designs) but I don't like playing against them because it feels like all the skill I've built up over the years doesn't matter if the killer knows how to just insta shot as slinger or short phase as spirit.

I think if I played against actually good Nurse more I'd ######### HATE her. But she's so rare that I don't think she's a problem at all. Same with the Sweat Squads. I've played against maybe 3 in the last 2 months.

• supersonic853supersonic853 Member Posts: 4,396
    edited June 2021

In tru3s words whenever spirit or nurse are brought up. "But what about 4man swf they beat every killer but nurse and spirit at the highest level". Which he aint wrong. Im all for reworking her if solos ever get put to swf level and we can rebalance accordingly. Rn im fine with her because of a high skill floor.