The 3.2.0 update is now live on PC and consoles. For more information, click here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87832/
We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

Removing The LOL Option Caused Unintended Negative Effects.

AlwaysInAGoodShapeAlwaysInAGoodShape Member Posts: 1,300
edited December 2018 in Forum Feedback

Why it was removed

There appeared to be spambots that would spam "LOL's" on posts with whom the botters disagreed with. Simply put: LOL was used as the old downvote as an intimidation tool against people with an unpopular opinion.

Why this is a problem

At first, removing the LOL option seems innocent. But there are multiple cases in which I've seen people state that they are no longer able to laugh at or enjoy funny posts.

How come?

Normally when they saw a post thy found funny or interesting, they'd be able to put a LOL on that comment/post, indicating that they enjoyed it. To us it seems that the LOL option is only the expression of joy in whoever read the comment, but as evidence stacks up, we see something different:

Not only can readers no longer show their fun gotten from a post; they are also unable to enjoy the post itself.

Behavioural psychology has it; This is called Operand-Conditioning. This means that in order for something else to trigger, it needs a certain stimuli.
In this case; In order to enjoy something, one needs to be able to communicate that enjoyment, otherwise the body does not bother with it at all. Then it must be; the purpose of enjoyment must be linked to your ability to communicate it. This is why we see that the neurons related to joy are no longer firing off; they return false instead of true.
We are left with forumers who see a funny comment, but their body is unable to produce joy from it.

A remedy

For Mental Health's sake and to protect Dead By Daylight forumers from this phenomenon, we need to adjust the current system for voting.

Here are my solutions:

The Downvote:
What was toxic about the downvote wasn't necessarily that it showed disagreement, but rather that it would silence a post. It's the silencing part of the downvote that should've been removed. Separately, the downvote should be an option for the OP that can be turned on or off.
Turning it off is helpful as it forces to show disliking through a disagreeing COMMENT being UPVOTED, which can then be argued with and be addressed.

The LOL vote:
Same as in the downvote. It should be something that can be turned on or off.
The problem remains thought, that forumers can adjust the meaning of a vote, similar to how LOL was made into the new downvote IN SELECTIVE CASES, so can the Awesome become the new downvote.
But letting players turn it off is never a problem... as long as they can turn it on as well!

A new addition
While we're at it, let's introduce a new voting button. It's called the "LOVE" button. It's similar to the youtube heart button. It's a button that only the OP can press on any comments on their own post.
This is how an OP can show that such a comment is a valuable addition to their Original Post.

End Note

I hope that with these solutions, both the LOL & Downvote Advocates together with the Anti-LOL Advocates can find a middle ground that will help improve the forum experience!

Comments

• PhantomMask20763PhantomMask20763 Member Posts: 4,732

Wow, did you do this much research for the LOL button, don't get me wrong I loved the LOL button but, wow

• BlueberryBlueberry Member Posts: 3,624
    edited December 2018

Removing the "lol" was a terrible idea. It was used for a quick snap shot of peoples opinions on topics, now we have nothing. The up votes and awesome is meaningless without a negative option. 5 up votes would look nice for example until you find out there would have been 20 "lol's" were it an option which entirely changes the perception of what people think the communities opinion of something is. Just commenting isn't adequate, the devs and especially people aren't going to read pages after pages of comments just to get a snapshot understanding of what people think of something. It also leaves us with no options on dev news posts. Since you can't post on their news thread we're left with no way of telling them how much we dislike their choice. A good example of this being how their latest legion changes had massively more "lol's" to show them how bad their changes were.

• AlwaysInAGoodShapeAlwaysInAGoodShape Member Posts: 1,300

@Blueberry

I posted a Public Poll on the legion change topic to see what the community thinks:

https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/34148/public-poll-satisfied-with-the-legion-changes#latest

• BradyBrady Member Posts: 1,091

You are the Picasso of problems and solutions

• BlueberryBlueberry Member Posts: 3,624
    edited December 2018

@AlwaysInAGoodShape said:
    @Blueberry

I posted a Public Poll on the legion change topic to see what the community thinks:

https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/34148/public-poll-satisfied-with-the-legion-changes#latest

Ah thank you, I voted. Doesn't quite address the "lol" issue though, as now we will have to do a post like yours ever.single.time lol

That's also assuming the devs even look at it.

• MasterMaster Member Posts: 10,208

Well if we cant press a button integrated in the UI, then we have to use the text field.
    Its more complicated, but whatever, for a real "lol" comment its worth the effort.

• White_OwlWhite_Owl Member Posts: 1,537

I think it's a non-problem. I mean, if someone says something funny I can smile or giggle irl, I don't need a button to express my emotions.

• MakoFenrirMakoFenrir Member Posts: 51
    Master said:

Well if we cant press a button integrated in the UI, then we have to use the text field.
    Its more complicated, but whatever, for a real "lol" comment its worth the effort.

Totally worth it.

• MasterMaster Member Posts: 10,208

lol

• powerbatspowerbats Member Posts: 7,071

Yes because typing lol or saying you thought it was funny is super difficult or takes a lot of time.

• CardgreyCardgrey Member Posts: 751

@powerbats said:
    Yes because typing lol or saying you thought it was funny is super difficult or takes a lot of time.

Why type just use...