Home Dead by Daylight Forums Feedback Feedback and Suggestions

The Rift is way too grindy

2»

Comments

• musstang62musstang62 Member Posts: 497

Honestly, while I definitely agree that the grind is particularly brutal for new players, I feel like getting all perks/P3ing your characters isn't as bad as the grind of the rift. With the BP grind, your performance actually has an impact, and there's no time limit on it. With the rift, after the challenges are done, it's purely based on how much time you cram into the 70 day period, since emblems/BP have virtually no impact

I guess I'm not a particularly big fan of the amount of grind to either, but the BP grind feels much more forgiving to me personally since I don't prestige survivors and I pretty much only play a rotation of 6 or so killers anymore. Still outrageous, but to a lesser degree than the rift imo

• XayahXRakanFTWXayahXRakanFTW Member Posts: 51

I'm sorry but this annoys me the most just because you have a full-time job doesn't mean others do as well. Some of us (including me) are really not in the position to be working atm or cannot find a job(s) that are hiring so I have a lot of time on my hands. I understand it sucks for those that don't really have the time to be playing and have families to take care of as do we all but it irritates me when "9 to 5 workers" start complaining about how they don't have enough time to play for rift rewards and then go onto the forums to ask the devs to fix it and make it less "grindy" when you NEED to fix your time management.

• CashelP14CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,441

Funnily enough they make you do this grind to earn 25 charms that only a hand full are even used.

• TicTacTicTac Member Posts: 2,179

I experienced the same with this rift. Its similar to the first rift. I do every challenge and im only at level 61. I really dont like grinding this last 9 levels, when this continues in future rifts i will stop playing the rift. (I buy the rift only after i reached max level)

I have no intention to start to grind every last week for max level. I did it before for other games and i stopped playing this games bc of it.

• XayahXRakanFTWXayahXRakanFTW Member Posts: 51

Literally just play the game you can spend a few minutes out of your schedule to play it's not that hard...

• Hex_UrbanEvasionHex_UrbanEvasion Member Posts: 200

I actually did complete the rift, like, the whole thing, and I probably took longer to do my challenges or something, but it only got me to tier 65. Getting to 70 was just me playing normally and earning fragments one at a time. That's definitely not right. I get that they probably thought between the challenge fragments and the ones earned just by playing, you'd get to 70 no problem, but I think it's not metered out correctly if the experience of hitting 60-65 with the challenges alone is common.

And even though I play often and I completed the whole thing, I feel it's too grindy for the average person to be expected to do. Even if you're not a person that has a lot of regular life responsibilities, if you just have other things you like spending time on, the rift is excessive as it's currently structured.

Also, if you're ever waffling on whether to unlock the premium rift tier, I personally will only do it if I get all the way to 70. I won't if I don't complete the whole thing. That basically gives you back all the cells you used unlocking, plus all the weird items. If this one hadn't had stuff for Nea, and an amusing, if disturbing Billy skin, I probably wouldn't have bothered at all, though.

• MadjuraMadjura Member Posts: 2,130

I get that they probably thought between the challenge fragments and the ones earned just by playing, you'd get to 70 no problem, but I think it's not metered out correctly if the experience of hitting 60-65 with the challenges alone is common.

No, it's definitely intentional. They intentionally created a problem so they can sell the solution (buying tiers). The entire thing is set up in such a way that it baits people who do not buy the battlepass to buy it and for everyone else to buy tiers to finish it.

Also, if you're ever waffling on whether to unlock the premium rift tier, I personally will only do it if I get all the way to 70. I won't if I don't complete the whole thing. That basically gives you back all the cells you used unlocking, plus all the weird items. 

Which is why in the future there will be progress boosters in the paid battlepass track to make people commit early. (Unconfirmed, speculation on my part)

• Hex_UrbanEvasionHex_UrbanEvasion Member Posts: 200

It may be speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised... sigh.

• kcwolf1975kcwolf1975 Member Posts: 633

A few minutes??? You spend more than that just trying to get into a game!

If you could complete the rift by playing an hour a day (like the developers said originally) then there would be no grind. When you actually need to play two to three times that (4X if you count queue times) then it's a major grind.

To be clear, I don't think the rift is hard or difficult, just EXTREMELY time consuming.

• SonzaishinaiSonzaishinai Member Posts: 6,225

All i wanted was the Legion skin and it seems i will be able to get it just in time before it closes.

I really want that knife

That said this was the only rift that had something interresting for me. Yea it's grindy but it is easilly ignored too. The extra bp from the challenges is a godsent though

• OldHunterLightOldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,000
    edited December 2020

With the current pandemic I have nothing to do other than gaming since my workplace isn't risking any more infected.

Now, I play 14+ hours a day of dbd sometimes less sometimes more, I managed to finish the rift 24 days for the rift to end before the extra week, you must be playing as much to have finished the rift with 20 days left but you said that you didn't play when the rift came out so probably played more than I did.

Just saying that it is not hard but it is grindy unless you are playing killer all day.

Or you bought tiers, one or the other.

• IronKnight55IronKnight55 Member Posts: 2,436
    edited December 2020

I usually don't play more than 2 hours a day (I do sometimes, tho). I make sure to complete all the challenges and play when I can. 14 hours is insane... I have never played any game that long in my life. Anyways, I'm done talking about this. I just keep repeating myself over and over.

Edit: I finished with around 20 days left, but I counted the extra week that was added. So it was a bit less than that.

Post edited by IronKnight55 on
  • Jyn_MojitoJyn_Mojito Member Posts: 515

A few minutes out of my day? Sure, let me solo q up for Survivor and in 10 minutes I'll have a match. Great use of those few minutes.

• Jyn_MojitoJyn_Mojito Member Posts: 515

I wish you luck and hope you can get the Legion skin! That's how I feel about the Ace one!

• thesuicidefoxthesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,227
    edited December 2020

My only problem with the Rift is how some challenges are just obscenely stupid to get. You have to either throw a game or farm them at high ranks.

I completely agree. Challenges need looked at. Doubt anything will get changed if I'm being honest.

• KlakkyKlakky Member Posts: 444
    edited December 2020

I completed the rift in 30days that's before I completed page 2 of the tome... Left me 40days of just waiting for it to end(54days? Cause they extended it...) If u have no time to do it u can always buy 1 level for 100 auric cells... If it isn't grindy then people won't feel they accomplished something and wouldn't be fair to them to make it too easy(which it is already btw) if u want handouts then login once a day, rift is made to use player time and make them play more

• ReinamiReinami Member Posts: 2,285

Lol, I have a full time job, 50 hours a week and where i am on call for 1 week a month. I have a 5 year old, and another baby on the way. I still manage to finish every rift usually with 15-20 days left to spare. The reality is, in order to get to level 70, you need to get 1 level per day.

Ignoring rift challenges completely, this means you are going to have to play for a 3 hours a night. When you factor in challenges. This means you need to be playing (in game) for 1 hour a night. I generally have time to play about 1-2 hours a night and sometimes can binge for 3-4 on the weekends.

Not sure what your excuse is.

• TicTacTicTac Member Posts: 2,179

This 1 hour a night doesnt add up. Is there a special way to earn more with playtime? Or how long do you play to reach 1 ingame hour? Maybe i underestimate the matchmaking time.

I reached level 61 after i completed all challenges. With other rifts except Rift 1 i reached 70. So atleast the current rift is grindier.

• Jb94Jb94 Member Posts: 207

To be fair if you've got a full time job, family, friends, pets, hobbies other than DBD, etc, how exactly are Nea's ugly trousers going to bring a greater sense of fulfilment to your life?

Either use some of that full time income to splash out on DBD (despite it being only one of your many hobbies), or accept that the rift probably just isn't for you?

And while you're at it maybe reflect on why it seems cool to ######### on other people for having less than you?

This can't be true! You must be lying! Everyone knows you have to treat it like a full time job and play for 14+ hours a day to finish it... Lol

• RullisiRullisi Member Posts: 392

I feel like I've played sooooooo much yet I am still only ~ level 50 on the rift, how am I supposed to reach the last level. This really makes me have to consider purchasing the rift pass because I can't be sure I can just play dbd matches 24/7 just to reach the final level before it closes.

• TheDizTheDiz Member Posts: 240

I especially hate that people can just DC and cancel progression from the rift. I've had multiple people DC on death hook making my sacrifice 12 to the entity especially grindy 😡