Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

What can be done to make dbd more scary?

Jill_MainJill_Main Member Posts: 134

Ok so, we all know that dbd isn't scary ( for us that have played the game a long time, at least ). But what can be done to make the game scarier to even us, long time players?

Because let's be honest, the last few chapters were... ummm... how can I explain.......

Binding of kin: hehehe yeetus the fetus

All kill: lmao it's korean joker

Resident Evil: hehehe funny zombie

Look, I'm not saying that these chapters were bad just because they were not scary. My main point in here is that, dbd lost its essence of being scary. And the reason of this post is that I want to hear what you guys think. What would make dbd scarier?

Comments

• JarolJarol Member Posts: 1,985
    edited July 2021

I think you should remove the terror radius if you want to make a scary game

• A_Skinny_LegendA_Skinny_Legend Member Posts: 872

Yes, unmask the masked killers. They're all ugly. Did you see trapper when he had that floating mask glitch? It's no wonder.

• GoobyNuggetGoobyNugget Member Posts: 675

To be honest, Nemesis has been one of the only killers to actually scare me, his terror radius, the fact that his zombies can appear in every ######### corner you turn, its very terrifying.

Pig, GhostFace, Myers, Wraith, its pretty easy to determine why these are scary

Clown is scary to me but only because of my phobia.

also uh Candyman in dbd would be pretty scary so like, please bhvr

• MomentosisMomentosis Member Posts: 820

More perks like NOED, Devour Hope, Blood Warden

Things that really makes people ######### their pants like those perks when they proc.

• JarolJarol Member Posts: 1,985

Victor with the addon of not making noises when loading the jump, it's pretty scary.

• Jill_MainJill_Main Member Posts: 134

Would it make dbd scarier? A WHOLE LOT

Would it make main survivors angry? Probably lol

• humanbeing1704humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 6,637

Make more intense sounding terror radiuses nemesis's actually makes the game intense and scary in my opinion

• VioletCrimesVioletCrimes Member Posts: 870
    edited July 2021

It’s hard to be scared of some thing you’ve been doing for hundreds of hours. Even if the last few chapters of the most terrifying killers ever, they’d still lose their effect after you see them for the 100th time.

Having the killer being controlled by another player take some of the fear out of me too, because I know it’s just another human who’s trying to win a game too.

I think adding a little bit more gore might help. I’m not a big gore = horror person, but having a meat hook through my shoulder with no visible wound, or having the Pig’s trap go off and my face is actually fine, makes it less scary.

Post edited by VioletCrimes on
  • humanbeing1704humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 6,637

I've always hated how the mori's are basically pg13 the only real gore one is like hag and oni

Yeah. Getting stabbed in the face 50 times should result in more than red particle dust.

• PigMainBigBrainPigMainBigBrain Member Posts: 1,809

If this game had more maps, and at least 6 or 7 different game modes that would appear randomly, its horror factor wouldn't diminish as quickly. But as a lot of survivors already mention, its the same game over and over again, against the same killers with the same style of match over and over again on what could honestly be described as only a handful of maps if we're talking level design....its small... and considering the game isn't some big open world extravaganza its kinda weak to have as few maps as we do. But what makes it worse is that every game mode is the exact same. Generator...after generator.....after generator.

Theres no doors to unlock, no puzzles to solve, no check points to get past, no things to collect on your way to some objective, theres no notes to read, LITERALLY THE GAME IS MISSING 90% OF OTHER GAMES HORROR TROPE MODES! We got generators, and thats it.

• ElenaElena Member Posts: 2,188

I partially disagree with a Binding of Kin, mainly because the killer came with such a unique power in the most grotesque way and the entire chapter in terms of design and lore was amazing.

• Marc_go_soloMarc_go_solo Member Posts: 2,672

Create much more unpredictability:

• Make the maps more muddled, so different jungle gym setups; randomize the number of pallets and lockers; throw aspects of different maps together.

• Add traps to be wary of. Pits, alarms, instant down traps. Make survivors uncertain of the paths they tread.

• Change the soundtrack to much more creepy noises, inspired by the maps you play in. If your in the swamps, have creepier creeks, or sounds that sound like swamp water splashing, but distort it into something creepier.

• Erase security. Have items have a low chance of "failing"; alter that barrier at the exit gates, so survivors aren't sure how far to move forwards until they escape; only nerf perks

Basically, fear is mainly based on not being able go anticipate what is going to happen. Fear is not knowing if the ship will sink/ what is hiding in the darkness/ when will the loneliness end/ will it hurt? The security and knowing has to be taken away, otherwise there is no way fear will ever have a place.

• WeenieDogWeenieDog Member Posts: 1,784

I don't think there is a way without making the game more frustrating.

You can take away the terror radius + red stain and it'll be scary at first, but you'll eventually get used to it and it'll become " I guess I just die now".

Yeah that's the thing, one of the only ways I can imagine that could make dbd scarier without changing much of the game is to maybe remove the terror radius of the killer and having the music only in chase, but it would probably be extremely unbalanced for killers and the devs would have to rework a lot of the perks.

You're entering in very controvercial topic buddy....beware 0_0

• DBD78DBD78 Member Posts: 2,624

Add perma ban for DC. Think about it you play the game and know that anything going wrong with the game or your connection and you are toast. That would be so scary!

Jokes aside add a new stealth killer, someone who does not bing bong but instead you just see two glowing eyes when uncloaking while hearing a scary demon sound.

Never thought of that, that's brilliant!

The killer sounds very not spooky compared to the perma ban.

• glitchboiglitchboi Member Posts: 5,408
    edited July 2021

Completely remove the terror radius and remove Spine Chill as well as Premonition. However, you'd probably have to update most, if not all killers, or even change the killer's and survivor's kit (e.g. lower movement speed and no red stain for killers) however this might lead to balance problems. Aura reading perks can stay.

Also, add some dark fog for longer distances for less visibility, and bright fog for brighter maps such as Coldwind, Ormond, and Dead Dawg.

• SnowbawlzzzSnowbawlzzz Member Posts: 1,121

What if you could see Hillbilly's dong

One thing that I 100% agree with you is about the fog, lore-wise is probably one of the most important factors, since the characters are literally taken by it, so I don't see a problem by making the fog more THICC. 

Now about the moon bouquet...personally I wouldn't mind coming back, but we all know that those little monsters would be practically invisible with them lol.

The "little monsters":

• SnowbawlzzzSnowbawlzzz Member Posts: 1,121

I don't see that as even a problem

If they're hiding, they're not winning the game.

.................................................................................................No comment...............................................................................................................

• GeneralVGeneralV Member Posts: 7,098

An Old Freddy main fears no Blendette, my dear friend.

But hey, I am glad to see you agree with me on that one. A THICC Fog with proper lighting can easily make things better.

• GeneralVGeneralV Member Posts: 7,098

I agree completely with what you've said, my friend. I know how it feels to miss the old lighting and ambience. And, just like you, I hope the devs eventually bring everything back. Old Freddy included, obviously. That is not negotiable.

And people are right to miss old DBD for a very simple reason: that is what DBD truly is.

Wouldn't it be cool if we had an event with all older versions of the maps? Just a thought.

Now that I think about it...Probably won't happen, since Behaviour is way too busy creating a 3th version of the anniversary crown.

That would get more people to play, but not because it’s scarier.